U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times

Advertisements

Lots and lots of SAHMs here, especially the further away you get from DC. An urban area with mostly apartment buildings may not have many, but streets with lots of single family homes are likely to have at least a few stay at home moms and/or dads. Ask the neighbors when you look at a house, to make sure you're picking a street with lots of other SAHMs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,859,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Lots and lots of SAHMs here, especially the further away you get from DC. An urban area with mostly apartment buildings may not have many, but streets with lots of single family homes are likely to have at least a few stay at home moms and/or dads. Ask the neighbors when you look at a house, to make sure you're picking a street with lots of other SAHMs.
Closer in the mere mortals who want mom to SAH will own a townhouse. The TH's around Vienna Metro seem to have a fair number.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,335,653 times
Regarding walkability and SAHMs, none of the SAHMs or even working moms, that I know actually walk to run errands and such in areas like Vienna, Fairfax, Georgetown, and Arlington. It's more common with those in my family and of my acquaintance that they pack the kids in the Odyssey, Land Rover, or Pilot and drive to an area where they then walk.

It's an event when many I know do walk with children in tow, even when they do live within walking distance of many conveniences because these areas tend to have a lot of traffic. On their own, it's a non-issue and many I know do get around their respective areas on foot, but not necessarily with children as an everyday occurrence.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,615,182 times
I'm a SAHM and I walk with my kids to the playground, preschool, the library, the community center, and the supermarket several times during the week here in Vienna. But I will admit that I am somewhat unique in that respect. Around here there are a lot of people who drive places even when they are walkable. In the nice weather, I will see more people walking to school, the playground, or the library. But I probably walk the most places out of anyone I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Regarding walkability and SAHMs, none of the SAHMs or even working moms, that I know actually walk to run errands and such in areas like Vienna, Fairfax, Georgetown, and Arlington. It's more common with those in my family and of my acquaintance that they pack the kids in the Odyssey, Land Rover, or Pilot and drive to an area where they then walk.

It's an event when many I know do walk with children in tow, even when they do live within walking distance of many conveniences because these areas tend to have a lot of traffic. On their own, it's a non-issue and many I know do get around their respective areas on foot, but not necessarily with children as an everyday occurrence.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

In my area, that's true in the winter. When the weather warms up you'll see moms pushing strollers up and down Lowes Island Blvd.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 21,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm a SAHM and I walk with my kids to the playground, preschool, the library, the community center, and the supermarket several times during the week here in Vienna. But I will admit that I am somewhat unique in that respect. Around here there are a lot of people who drive places even when they are walkable. In the nice weather, I will see more people walking to school, the playground, or the library. But I probably walk the most places out of anyone I know.
Where do you live in Vienna?

I really do like the area - but would need to find a great price if we buy or a good rental until we find a house we love.

As to the Woodlandsgirl - I already live here in the Woodlands - I have for the past 2 years - we are hoping to RELOCATE to Fairfax. Thanks for the website though!

I know I probably won't do much walking in the winter - unless it is a bit warmer - but would plan on and love to walk to the park and other things in the warmer weather.

I guess originally I thought NOVA had more towns like Old Town Alexandria or Del Ray around - knowing that most aren't like that - I am ok with not living in a "walkable" city BUT would like the option to walk to a part or community center OR just have trails to talk a walk on.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,615,182 times
I live near Magruder's in the SW portion of the town. The closer you are to Maple Avenue, the more you can walk to. And being near Center and Park Street is a plus, too since the library, the baseball fields, the W&OD bike trail. and the community center are right there. Nearly all of the retail is on Maple Avenue or Church Street.

On the north side of town, you would want to be pretty close to Church Street. On either side, the farther away you get from Maple, the less there is to walk to. Although there are parks on both sides. And there are two swim clubs on the south side of town that are farther away from Maple. And of course the Metro is across from the most southwestern portion of town if you want to walk there.

The area is great. It's expensive for what you get, but there's a reason for that - it's a nice town, there are good schools, and it's relatively close-in.

If you ever want me to swing by and look at any houses that you see online (not sure where you are), let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoell View Post
Where do you live in Vienna?

I really do like the area - but would need to find a great price if we buy or a good rental until we find a house we love.

As to the Woodlandsgirl - I already live here in the Woodlands - I have for the past 2 years - we are hoping to RELOCATE to Fairfax. Thanks for the website though!

I know I probably won't do much walking in the winter - unless it is a bit warmer - but would plan on and love to walk to the park and other things in the warmer weather.

I guess originally I thought NOVA had more towns like Old Town Alexandria or Del Ray around - knowing that most aren't like that - I am ok with not living in a "walkable" city BUT would like the option to walk to a part or community center OR just have trails to talk a walk on.

Last edited by michgc; 01-16-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,614,642 times
The challenge is that Vienna is generally a bit more expensive than your target price range, and the areas that are as walkable as Michgc's neighborhood are relatively limited. There are some SFHs below $450K, but they are often in poor condition and need a lot of work.

If "some walkability" is a goal, I think your best bet in the town of Vienna is a townhouse complex called "Vienna Commons" north of Maple Avenue. It's definitely within walking distance of a nice little shopping area that includes a great bakery (Pie Gourmet), a gelato place (Molly's Yogurt), and some other shops. You could walk to some of the other places Michgc mentions from there, but it would be a bit of a hike. The townhouses seem to sell from between $425-475K. Another option might be a townhouse complex near the Vienna Metro station called Country Creek. It's outside the town of Vienna in the 22181 zip code. It's within walking distance of both the Vienna Metro station and a decent-size local park (Nottoway Park), but not the local library or community center. The prices seem to be about the same as Vienna Commons.

I guess it goes without saying at this point that properties in these developments would not be as new or spacious as a similarly priced property in The Woodlands, but they would allow you to live in Vienna, which does have a lot to offer and is relatively close to Exxon/Mobil.

Last edited by JD984; 01-16-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,916,981 times
There are not many SAH Moms here - some - but not many -

Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,859,685 times
There's also some townhouses behind the Giant along Locust Street that are in your price range and are much closer to the town's amenities. A few more TH areas along Center Street, and there's another one on the west side of Nutley, but that's not really walkable to anything but Nottoway Park (plus I haven't ever heard of one actually being for sale.)

But the thing is, Vienna is primarily a SFH community. I live near the Vienna Woods swim club -- definitely not walkable if you're trying to haul groceries around, but to go to the library, enjoy the community center, enjoy Church Street, it's walkable.

If you're only thinking you'll be here for a year or two, maybe you might want to consider renting a SFH??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or