U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times

Advertisements

JEB77, did you cross over to the other side??? Say it isn't so. I thought you lived in Vienna (22182) not McLean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've heard about Moorenko's, but it was long gone by the time we arrived. Its replacement (Sweetleaf) has ice cream or gelato, but it's treated like a controlled substance, and it's not a lot of fun to ask for ice cream when everyone else there looks ready to run a marathon and is getting either herbal tea or some leafy salad.

There are some places in McLean we really like (such as Pasa Thai and Kazan's, which we do prefer to the Thai and
Turkish restaurants in Vienna, and the Greek Taverna), and some places where you have to be very careful what you order. Rocco's takes a nice picture, and the idea of a family-owned Italian place in McLean does warm the heart. The only problem is that my kids detest their oregano-laden pizza, although the subs and pasta aren't bad. At Pulcinella's, the pizza is really good, but the main dishes are mostly meh. J. Gilbert's virtually screams "save me for special occasions." The idea of buying a $12 hamburger at Joe's Burgers makes me ill. And so on. In Vienna, there are more places like the Plaka Grill or Rose Kabob that aren't expensive and where almost everything on the menu is good.

On the other hand, I really like the variety of homes in our neighborhood and made it to work easily today, whereas it would have been very tough to get out of our old neighborhood on an icy day like today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
JEB77, did you cross over to the other side??? Say it isn't so. I thought you lived in Vienna (22182) not McLean.
Yes; as much as we enjoyed Vienna, the prospect of a substantially shorter commute to DC and more family time won out a while back. I prefer to think of it as the other side of Tysons, rather than Darth Vader territory, but others may disagree.

Of course, this way, I get to argue with everyone, including myself, as to the relative pros and cons of Vienna and McLean.

Last edited by JD984; 01-18-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
It would be a mighty interesting thread if LiveStrong28 comes back and gets a wind of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Yes; as much as we enjoyed Vienna, the prospect of a substantially shorter commute to DC and more family time won out a while back. I prefer to think of it as the other side of Tysons, rather than Darth Vader territory, but others may disagree.

Of course, this way, I get to argue with everyone, including myself, as to the relative pros and cons of Vienna and McLean.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,309 times
I think the McLeanites (sorry if that's not the appropriate designation) don't *want* new, trendy businesses (not necessarily nightlife/bars - just, you know, shabby-chic "Little Red Hen" bakery/coffee shop/café places and such) because they don't really want people who don't live in the area driving through it excessively. (Or walking through it - hence the lack of sidewalks on lots of the wind-y, out-of-the-way, WV-looking, guardrail-edged roads.) I'm torn on this. On one hand, I'd just like to see more roads built (or at least for Federal agencies to spread out to other areas more.. geez), but given the current vehicles-road capacity ratio, it's hard to blame them (the McLeanites).

Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I think the McLeanites (sorry if that's not the appropriate designation)
Now you've got me wondering about this...

McLeanites?
McLeanies?
McLeanalonians?
McLeansters?
McLeandons?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I think the McLeanites (sorry if that's not the appropriate designation) don't *want* new, trendy businesses (not necessarily nightlife/bars - just, you know, shabby-chic "Little Red Hen" bakery/coffee shop/café places and such) because they don't really want people who don't live in the area driving through it excessively. (Or walking through it - hence the lack of sidewalks on lots of the wind-y, out-of-the-way, WV-looking, guardrail-edged roads.) I'm torn on this. On one hand, I'd just like to see more roads built (or at least for Federal agencies to spread out to other areas more.. geez), but given the current vehicles-road capacity ratio, it's hard to blame them (the McLeanites).
I think it's tempting, but probably incorrect, to speculate that people who live in McLean are like country barons who don't want the riff-raff on their estates (this theory may hold a bit more water over in Great Falls, where many of the roads are indeed narrow and windy, and there are few retail businesses of any sort).

The reality is a bit more prosaic. There are some local real estate developers who have been buying commercial real estate in McLean for years, but aren't yet ready to build given the current economic climate:

Downtown McLean Renewal Plans at Dead Stop | The McLean Ear

http://mclean.patch.com/articles/mcl...cey-consultant

People in McLean would probably be more annoyed about this standstill if there wasn't anything close by, but it's fairly easy to get to Vienna, Falls Church, Arlington or DC from McLean, so there's always the "Little Red Hen"-equivalent in the next town to patronize. That, and the McLean Family Restaurant, to tide us over until the "McLean Town Center" arrives.

Last edited by JD984; 01-18-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM

617 posts, read 1,152,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Now you've got me wondering about this...

McLeanites?
McLeanies?
McLeanalonians?
McLeansters?
McLeandons?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Growing up, I definitely heard the first two, never the last three. I think the general attitude of McLean has usually been that there's so much close by, no need to overdevelop where we live. I wouldn't call it any sort of country baron mentality, I think they just like the immediate small town, reduced traffic, coupled with convenience. Hell, if I still lived there, I probably wouldn't want to give it up either.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Very nice description of McLean with pictures! You came very close to one of my relatives, and two good friends in some of the house pictures as well. Thanks for taking the time to add text to help those not familiar with the area, since that does take extra time in addition to getting the pictures ready for publication, etc. It's appreciated by many who are new to the area, or those in the area who may be unfamiliar with McLean.

As to denizens of McLean, to add another wrinkle, a friend of mine who was born at the old Columbia Hospital and grew up in McLean has always referred to herself as a "McLeanian." Her sister, however, now calls herself a "former McLeaner," so there's a variance in interpretation.

I had to chuckle at Rocco's since it brought back many memories, as my father used to insist on going there when we were in DC (parents owned property in McLean at the time) because it was easy, local, and he could easily appease grumpy children who each wanted something different, yet didn't want to have to dress for dinner. We used to drag him there, since he'd give in and let us get Slurpees next door. To this day, it's a standing joke that I always ask him if he needs a Slurpee whenever I'm with my parents; and when they're in town, I always ask if they would like to dine at Rocco's. Thanks for the from the picture.

The old Pizza Hut on Old Dominion that used to be in the center with Balducci's, when that was a Chinese restaurant (before the additions/renovations), was the first, and to my knowledge, only, Pizza Hut in which my parents have set foot or dined. It's hysterical now, since they have a grandson who loves Pizza Hut pizza, despite being taken to some of the best pizza places in DC, NOVA, and NYC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
Thanks for the tour. It's amazing how much hasn't changed in 30 years. Lived there for 1 year in the 80's, and I noticed the old-timers referred to their town as "MAC-Lain"(emphasis on the first syllable). I miss Evans Farm Inn. It was a one-of-a-kind place; very 'old-Virginia', as were the clientele.

Last edited by smithy77; 01-19-2011 at 12:51 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You came very close to one of my relatives, and two good friends in some of the house pictures as well.

The old Pizza Hut on Old Dominion that used to be in the center with Balducci's, when that was a Chinese restaurant (before the additions/renovations), was the first, and to my knowledge, only, Pizza Hut in which my parents have set foot or dined. It's hysterical now, since they have a grandson who loves Pizza Hut pizza, despite being taken to some of the best pizza places in DC, NOVA, and NYC.
You're the second person that's mentioned this...I was actually wondering while I was doing it, what would happen if I happened to get someone's house that's on the forum. I came close on two occasions apparently. Of course, now it's making me curious which ones they were.

That Pizza Hut was the one my little league teams used to go to for end of season parties, if I recall correctly. Also used to get free personal pan pizzas there for reading...I wonder if the local schools still do that program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Thanks for the tour. It's amazing how much hasn't changed in 30 years. Lived there for 1 year in the 80's, and I noticed the old-timers referred to their town as "MAC-Lain"(emphasis on the first syllable). I miss Evans Farm Inn. It was a one-of-a-kind place; very 'old-Virginia', as were the clientele.
Well, it has and it hasn't. Certainly the Evans Farm area has changed. There was another old farm on the corner of Kirby Road and Westmoreland Street growing up, but that's been gone for years and turned into upscale homes. And of course, in the one shot, they have to two story strip mall now, it's been there for years, so there are some changes, but overall, it's retained the same look/feel it had when I grew up there in the 80's/90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia