Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times

Advertisements

For small jobs that don't really require calling in a plumber or electrician or contractor but repairs you don't feel skilled enough to handle?

If so, will you consider adding a post to the thread on N.Va. businesses you'd recommend? Thanks!

(I'm not looking for a painter or anyone to do even a slight reno--I just need some quick plumbing, screen door, disposal fixes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
We've been trying to find a handyman type person as well - we picked up a pizza a couple weeks back and someone happened to be doing some work there. I stopped him out by his truck and asked if he was a "handyman-type" and he said he was - got his card but I haven't called him yet.

We also would love to find someone who isn't with a company and it's: $75-$150, etc. just to come see what needs done

Where I grew up (PA) you could find tons of folks skilled in a variety of things, haven't found that to be the case here (share if you hear? LOL)

Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
I have a handyman I've used and like. I will PM both of you with his info.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
For small jobs that don't really require calling in a plumber or electrician or contractor but repairs you don't feel skilled enough to handle?

If so, will you consider adding a post to the thread on N.Va. businesses you'd recommend? Thanks!

(I'm not looking for a painter or anyone to do even a slight reno--I just need some quick plumbing, screen door, disposal fixes.)

I refuse to pay someone for work that I am capable of doing myself. The only time that I "punt" is if the job requires a tool that cannot be rented. Google is your friend to learn a new skill. What is the job? Maybe I can help.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
We hired some guys to clean our gutters based on an ad in our HOA newsletter. They did an excellent job. Sorry, I don't remember the name off hand (and they may not be doing it anymore, anyway. They were college kids.)

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,347 times
I once hired a handyman to fix a few things around my house. He did a good job. Then I showed him something else that needed to be fixed and he muttered, as he walked away, "You can do that yourself." I just stood there. aghast, and I never called him again. I'm retired now - maybe it's time for me to take some of those free classes at Home Depot.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
John Seipel (Clifton) does excellent work if you're considering carpentry work/general contracting.

(703) 830-6675

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I refuse to pay someone for work that I am capable of doing myself. The only time that I "punt" is if the job requires a tool that cannot be rented. Google is your friend to learn a new skill. What is the job? Maybe I can help.
There are things I can learn to do and do (with a few mistakes) over a several-hour period, thereby killing an entire Saturday. Or, I can pay a handyman $200-$300 to do in an hour or two and likely do better work than I can do myself.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM

3 posts, read 25,923 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
John Seipel (Clifton) does excellent work if you're considering carpentry work/general contracting.

(703) 830-6675
Agreed.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
There are things I can learn to do and do (with a few mistakes) over a several-hour period, thereby killing an entire Saturday. Or, I can pay a handyman $200-$300 to do in an hour or two and likely do better work than I can do myself.
Yeah, really. Some people like to do that work and have that kind of time. Others have what they consider better uses of their time.

I've called the Mr. Handyman service a couple of times and they did a good job. It's a flat hourly rate regardless of the job but there was a minimum length of time (I don't remember what it was). So it's best if you have several things that need to be done, or one large job. Might not be worth it for smaller, quick jobs. I've had good experiences with businesses that advertise in church bulletins. They're usually smaller companies (or individuals) that have ties to the community they're advertising in and want to maintain good reputations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia