Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 41,754 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to NOVA from Colorado for a new job in Chantilly, and I was wondering if you could please give recommendations on where to live. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment with rent preferably less than about $1600-1700/month and a commute of 30 minutes or less if possible. As with everyone else, low crime is a must, and accessibility to shopping/entertainment is helpful.

I've heard good things about Centreville (it made CNN Money's top 100 places to live in 2010) but recommendations of communities/zip codes in or around Chantilly and nearby cities would be much appreciated. Also, feel free to give any advice on the lifestyle! We have only been to the East Coast briefly, so this will be our first extended time there.

Thank you for all your help, and let me know if you would like additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
What kind of entertainment are you looking for? Movie theaters? Bars/clubs? Bike trails? Community festivals? Sporting events? etc, etc.

Centreville is just plain ol' suburbia. It's not bad, but I was kind of surprised that it made the top 100 list. There's nothing special about it. You should be able to find an apartment in your price range in Chantilly, and a short commute is a huge blessing around here.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Yeah it depends on what you want. I work out that way myself but choose to live closer to the city in Arlington. So you can do the reverse commute if you want to be close to the city or look for a nice spot in Chantilly or Centreville. Loudoun county (Ashburn, South Riding, Sterling) is nice too.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Wow, I spent many years in Centreville and I am not sure why it would be in the top 100 places to live. The movie theatre is aging. You still have to drive to Fairfax for Wegmans (yes, important on my list) and any other shopping, or Manassas. It's just complete suburbia. I stroll through Centreville every day on my way to Manassas....honestly - I really like Manassas (well, except for the mall). I have all my shopping right around the corner....well, except for Wegmans.

If given the opportunity to live anywhere in the general Chantilly vicinity I would choose Manassas (again), Gainesville, Marshall, Fairfax, or possibly the Leesburg area (though that might be too far out for you)....

But - what do you like? What are you looking for? We could probably name off lots of places but it all is up to what you like in a 'community'.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I live in Centreville and it's nice. I like it more than other areas I lived in in NoVa. I have to move and I am sad to go though. It probably made the top 100 because of school test scores (although you can't go wrong with most NoVa schools) and because it's kind of centrally located. I think the sense of community comes on the neighborhood level in Centreville though. My neighborhood is always hosting community events and after only living there a few years I know quite a few of my neighbors. You do have to drive to Manassas for shopping like another poster said, but there are also lots of little stores tucked in the shopping centers.

But I am getting off topic.. the OP should have no trouble finding a nice place in Chantilly. Have you thought about getting a Realtor to help you find a rental?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

154 posts, read 374,196 times
I stroll through Centreville every day on my way to Manassas.

I find a LOT of people have negative feelings about Centreville because their only experience is being stuck in traffic while passing through (I66, 29, 28). And if that's all I saw I'd probably feel the same way...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 41,754 times
Thanks for the quick responses, all. In response to the entertainment question, it would be nice to live near parks or bike trails, things like that. From what I've read, Centreville isn't terribly special when compared with surrounding cities, and Manassas is where the primary shopping and grocery centers are. Is this a reasonable statement? About how far away from Chantilly is Manassas?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I think it's a reasonable statement. There is some shopping in Centreville, but there is a lot more in Manassas. Depending on where you are, it's only about a 10 minute drive. I live on the far end of Chantilly, near Bull Run National Park. I just drive down Lee Highway, though the park, turn left and am in the far end of Manassas.

There are parks all over Fairfax County as well. Here is a link to info on bike trails in Fairfax County: Bike Trails*- Fairfax County, Virginia.

You might want to consider Herndon too.. I am not sure where your job will be in Chantilly, but depending on where, it can be pretty close as well.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,872 times
I lived in Centreville for 4 years (ending in 2008) and enjoyed it very much, other than my horrible commute to DC for work, softball, flag football, and concerts. I like that it feels newer and cleaner than a lot of areas, there is plenty of grass, trees, water, and the area I lived was pretty walkable for a suburb. Contrary to what other people said, I thought there was plenty of shopping for my tastes. I could walk to 2 grocery stores - including a Trader Joes - (while I like them, I don't NEED Wegman's or Whole Foods), multiple restaurants and bars (including several I'd recommend), bank, barber shop, autozone, radioshack, post-office, Lifetime Fitness, etc.. A free weekly neighborhood drive-in style movie was also held within a 5 minute walk during the summer. Oh, and I once counted 6 separate fireworks displays that I was able to see from my balcony on July 4 .

Quick 15 minute or less drives will get you to drug stores, plenty of healthcare, a fast-food park (I still find that weird), a movie theater, the Fair Lakes shopping center (Best Buy, Walmart, Toys R Us, some furniture stores, jewelry stores, restaurants, etc.), rt. 50 / Chantilly, and Manassas Park. Dulles airport, the Smithsonian Air & Space museum (now out near Dulles) with its IMax movie theater, and downtown Manassas weren't much further.

If you're interested, the place that I lived was called Woodway Apartments. It's basically on the intersection of 28, 29, and 66 so it would be convenient for your commute. Despite this, traffic noise was not a problem. I think we were paying about $1450 / month + electric for a 2 bedroom place when I left, but I'm not sure what it is now. I was quite happy there and would definitely recommend it.

I haven't been there as much, but Manassas is also a great area. It has a lot more history, charm, and uniqueness to it with more interesting restaurants and shops, and doesn't rely as heavily on chain stores. It even has a bit of a downtown, but this seems to come with some more crime and being a little bit further away from a lot of things.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would be inclined to recommend looking at Fairfax, and Fair Oaks/Fairfax Corner, because you would have a reverse commute to Chantilly. Basically, it's an easy drive west on Route 50 from the City of Fairfax or the greater Fair Oaks/Fairfax Corner area, where your budget would work for a 2BR. And, you would have a semblance of shops/conveniences in the immediate area, including easy access to Fair Oaks Mall and Wegman's.

Chantilly is similar to Centreville in that they are suburban areas that have a number of strip malls, and not as many options. Chantilly also has car dealerships, and parts of it are in the flight path for Dulles Airport.

The other nice factor about Fairfax City, and the Fairfax Corners area, is that while you would have an easy commute to Chantilly, your wife, should she wish to work, would have more flexibility if the job were in Arlington, DC, etc. -- and could even potentially take the bus to the train. Fairfax City has its own CUE bus and there's a Fairfax Connector express bus to the Vienna-Fairfax Metro stop from the government center area of Fairfax Corners. Traffic can be brutal, so if there's a possibility that you wife might want to volunteer, work, or spend time in DC, Arlington, etc. on a regular basis, it might be handy to have the option of convenient transportation to points east. It's also possible to drive to the Metro, but depending upon the time of day, parking can be problematic. Oakton would also be a consideration as it's an easy drive to Chantilly, and close to the Metro, though there are not as many condominiums and apartments in Oakton.

Zip codes in which to look would include: 22030 (Fairfax), 22031(Fairfax), 22033(Fair Oaks), 22124(Oakton), 20152(Chantilly). 22030 is a lage zip code that covers parts of the City of Fairfax and areas to the west. 22031 encompasses part of the City of Fairfax, and some areas to the east, toward Annandale that would add a little bit to the Chantilly commute.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia