Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times

Advertisements

When my hubby and I were looking for houses in the last year, so many of them had trampolines in the back yard, or the neighbors had trampolines (which we think are an eyesore). We bought a house and lo and behold--the neighbors on both sides have trampolines. What is the obsession with trampolines in this area? What is so fun about them? It seems like they take up a lot of yard space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
When my hubby and I were looking for houses in the last year, so many of them had trampolines in the back yard, or the neighbors had trampolines (which we think are an eyesore). We bought a house and lo and behold--the neighbors on both sides have trampolines. What is the obsession with trampolines in this area? What is so fun about them? It seems like they take up a lot of yard space.
It's not really an obsession - they are just a popular way to let kids burn off some energy and probably more affordable than they used to be.

Weren't you complaining earlier about some neighbors who let their kids play ball near your house? Maybe you should be happy that they bought a trampoline. If you don't like the way it looks, there's a very easy solution: don't look in their yard.

Or you could look into buying a home in some "New (Sub)Urbanist" development that has rigorous restrictions and doesn't permit them in backyards. There are definitely some people who think kids should play in public parks and bristle at the notion that that people might decide to buy their own swing-sets, basketball hoops or trampolines. Most people in NoVa, however, tend to have a "live and let live" (or "bounce and let bounce") attitude.

Last edited by JD984; 12-29-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
Haven't trampolines been popular for kids for like 20 years now?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Its an easy way for kids to burn off energy after school. When they get home at 4pm, still have homework, dinner and other things to do it's hard to fit in the exercise. My girls aren't old enough for one yet, but it's on my radar for a few years down the road!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's not really an obsession - they are just a popular way to let kids burn off some energy and probably more affordable than they used to be.

Weren't you complaining earlier about some neighbors who let their kids play ball near your house? Maybe you should be happy that they bought a trampoline. If you don't like the way it looks, there's a very easy solution: don't look in their yard.

Or you could look into buying a home in some "New (Sub)Urbanist" development that has rigorous restrictions and doesn't permit them in backyards. There are definitely some people who think kids should play in public parks and bristle at the notion that that people might decide to buy their own swing-sets, basketball hoops or trampolines. Most people in NoVa, however, tend to have a "live and let live" (or "bounce and let bounce") attitude.

I think its terrific when neotrad nabes have lots of convenient public play areas, so kids can all play together, people can be together etc. I've never heard that people there 'bristle' at people doing the suburban backyard swingset thing so much as they believe they have found a better way.

However when you're in a more standard suburb, and those public facilities don't exist so much, its pretty reasonable that people get their own stuff, I suppose.

I don't think our OP here was arguing for neo trad design in particular.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
We're just a bouncy kind of people here in the land of sunshine and puppies... we have more bounce to the ounce!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
I would have loved to have a trampoline when I was a child! They were huge fun in gym class! I didn't get one for my own children because of the safety issues. Now I see them with those safety net enclosures around them which reduce that concern. The people I know who have trampolines have large yards or fences. Too late now for the OP I guess but if you were seeing them while house-hunting and knew that they bothered you, you could have bought in a neighborhood with an HOA that prohibits them. (I love the "bounce and let bounce" phrase .)

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I can only think of one single-family home in my neighborhood that has one. (For a while there were renters in a townhome that had one, and it took up their entire backyard. I think even most of our detached home lots are too small for them, really.) Plus, like pools, they can negatively affect your homeowners' insurance.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Trampolines are kinda ugly in the yard - I would never buy my kids one because even with the net guards they are very dangerous - ask any emergency room worker - kids are always getting hurt on them - not worth the risk to me - not all parents like to be as safe as I so to each his own.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Trampolines are kinda ugly in the yard - I would never buy my kids one because even with the net guards they are very dangerous - ask any emergency room worker - kids are always getting hurt on them - not worth the risk to me - not all parents like to be as safe as I so to each his own.
My parents decided not to buy one after I broke my jaw while playing on the neighbors trampoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia