Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nicely stated. Open carry made me a little nervous when I first moved here, but when I thought about it a little I came to the same conclusions. And I came to realize that the state I moved from, which was much more restrictive, also had higher crime problems. As stpickrell says, if this becomes a problem then I will reconsider my position, but for now it's not a problem.
Usually its the opposite:
VPC - Press Release - (05/06/2009) - States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

"the five states with the highest per capita gun death rates were Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, Mississippi, and Nevada. Each of these states had a per capita gun death rate far exceeding the national per capita gun death rate of 10.32 per 100,000 for 2006. Each state has lax gun laws and higher gun ownership rates. By contrast, states with strong gun laws and low rates of gun ownership had far lower rates of firearm-related death. Ranking last in the nation for gun death was Hawaii, followed by Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Usually its the opposite:
VPC - Press Release - (05/06/2009) - States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

"the five states with the highest per capita gun death rates were Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, Mississippi, and Nevada. Each of these states had a per capita gun death rate far exceeding the national per capita gun death rate of 10.32 per 100,000 for 2006. Each state has lax gun laws and higher gun ownership rates. By contrast, states with strong gun laws and low rates of gun ownership had far lower rates of firearm-related death. Ranking last in the nation for gun death was Hawaii, followed by Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York."
But normie said crime rate of the state she moved from, not gun-related death rate.

FWIW, I don't think easier access to guns is what makes the difference in crime rate when comparing a high-crime locality with gun restrictions to the far-flung NOVA burbs. NOVA is rather safe, with or without an armed citizenry, IMO.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
To me, the bottom line is this is a freedom that is not being abused. I like the idea of giving as much freedom as possible. If it becomes abused, then we'll talk. Until that time, however, I don't like the idea of restricting freedom because of a WORRY that it MIGHT be abused or because it's a problem in some other state.

And to repeat an earlier point, even though we have this freedom, you rarely see anyone carrying a gun. To be honest, the only time I've seen guns here was at a shooting range.

ps. ONE IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW Virginia has open carry, but DC does not. DO NOT take a gun from Virginia and carry it into DC. That's a huge mistake and will cost you big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia