U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,586 times

Advertisements

Our governer is now allowing guns in our state parks. Will you have any sense of fear if the person walking toward you holsters a gun? Does your opinion change either way if he has on a "wife-beater" undershort and the pistol is stuck in the waist of his jeans? In other words, as we NoVAns more and more confront pistol-packing citizens in our daily lives, how will you assess the gun packer based on his/her dress and location?

McDonnell lifts ban on open-carry in Va. parks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
If I'm not mistaken Burke Park is a FX Co park and not a state park for which this article is written for. Even in state parks I doubt you are going to see many people carrying in the open. While I'm a believer in the right to carry for law abiding citizens I do hate to see anyone carrying in the open unless of course you are on duty LE.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,097,470 times
Burke Lake isn't a state park. It's operated by Fairfax County. I believe Fairfax County already allows open carry in their parks (could be wrong about this). Either way, this law does not affect county parks one way or the other.

Perhaps more importantly, open carry is legal pretty much everywhere in VA and has been for a long time. State parks were the exception to the rule. If it hasn't been a problem for people strolling in, say, Old Town Alexandria, why would it be a problem in state parks?

(Sorry Bigfoot, did not see your post when I posted which makes mine semi-redundant).

Last edited by pcity; 01-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: didn't see above post

Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

518 posts, read 782,384 times
Regardless of the specific park mentioned, I have no problem with this at all. I would feel a lot safer being able to bring my handgun hiking through a state park. Not for muggers, but for the occasional angry animal. There are open carry guns all around you in VA, you just need to look for them. Also, most people openly carrying guns are pretty discreet about it, to keep squeamish people from freaking out around them.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
As long as it isn't pointed at me, I guess it's ok. I'm not a huge fan of seeing guns but at least it's out in the open. It's the guns that people people HIDE that get used in crimes, IMO. I also have to note that I haven't actually seen anyone do this, and I go to parks a lot. Just because you have a RIGHT to carry a gun doesn't mean you'll actually see this.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
I don't have a problem with it either. I'm ok overall with the open carry law in VA and as pcity mentioned, the parks were an exception to the rule. As it is, with open carry laws, how often do you see someone carrying in public? For me, almost never.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Fine with me. Hopefully, he/she will be there if someone I love is being attacked -- by a human or an animal.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,121,958 times
I would feel about as nervous seeing someone in a park with a holstered firearm as I would seeing someone with a knife or a Leatherman in a belt sheath. That is, not nervous at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM

2,680 posts, read 6,239,535 times
If you had a CHP you could were able to legally carry in State Parks before this change of ruling. What's the difference between carrying concealed or openly?

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... actually held a picnic there back in 2007. FFX PD was actually called out to investigate, including sending a helicopter. No one was arrested. No shots were fired. The only shooting was the video camera. Apparently someone was afraid that a bunch of folks eating hamburgers and hotdogs were up to no good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6dbWl4l_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XIe...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYvv8...eature=related

They've since held another picnic there, and this time police were not called

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

127 posts, read 305,098 times
Having lived in AZ, it's weird how few guns I see here. But no, it wouldn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia