U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,035,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I guess people spend every penny then can to squeeze into their McMansion they have no money left for a deck which is probably a builders option - you know how they nickle and dime it.
I could have paid the builder $30K for a deck to be built on my home, but instead I did it myself for around $11K. It is 650sq feet.

Last edited by kevinm; 01-21-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM

96 posts, read 215,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That's a very good point. When we did get around to building a deck, we also built a screened porch with a ceiling fan, and we spent a lot more time on the porch than the uncovered deck (except to barbecue). Our current house just has a deck and when the bugs come out in force, I'm outta there.
LOL, and I've seen bugs here that I've never seen before, like carpenter bees and those stink bugs. Eeeeeuuuu. But it's the mosquitoes and noseeums that really 'bug' me.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,777,181 times
When we had our townhouse built in Loudoun County, we paid for the French doors but not the deck. The builder had limited designs and I thought they were pricey. Within 2 yrs, I hired someone else and got a better deal with price and design.

When we sold it, that deck was a nice feature! We staged it with outdoor carpeting, furniture, hanging baskets, etc.

Now, our house in Winchester (historic) has the big front porch with columns, a patio in back, and a rooftop deck--a deck on top of the front porch. We have no desire to build a deck in the back since we already have 3 outdoor spaces.

Also, I read in some design magazines a few years ago that decks "were out" and patios "were in". Some people opt of out the deck and get really nice patios designed instead.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,840,551 times
Carpenter bees are a good reason to ask a builder NOT to add their standard wood deck. Build your own deck out of Trex, instead. It won't get splinters, it costs less (than the builder's deck) and you won't get carpenter bees. Also, you're supporting a local business when you use Trex.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,840,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Also, I read in some design magazines a few years ago that decks "were out" and patios "were in". Some people opt of out the deck and get really nice patios designed instead.
A house near us did something similar to that. They tore out the builder's standard deck, and instead built a much, much smaller platform with stairs leading down to a deluxe patio. It's really pretty, and it's nice to see something a little different.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,777,181 times
Carpenter bees will harbor in any kind of wood that is not maintained, especially if it's constantly damp and already rotting. It can happen to a house, shed, etc. If a deck is attracting these guys, the owners aren't maintaining it well (i.e.,spray washing, staining, etc.).

The composite decks are lower maintenance but I heard they can get very hot (in direct sunlight).

Also, I believe there are various blends of composites, for instance one that is 70% wood/30% synthetic. People who own historic homes favor to fit the integrity of their homes.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,766 times
That is peeve of mine as well. The shocking flatness on the back, no overhangs or anything.

One of my neighors observed this as well and stated that many families aren't from the US..therefore the habit of hanging out on the porch BBQing etc isn't popular. So the added expense of building it just isn't warrented. I for one am from FL, the bugs here are a joke compared to back home, but as I live in a TH, the idea of sitting outside with 20 or 30 strangers ain't fun! I also hate it when the kids next door lean over their deck and peer into my family room!

And don't me started on the time I locked myself on the back deck, husband was in Latvia of all places and I had to drop down to the ground floor. Thorns...rocks...no shoes..Needless to say it was a very bad 3 hour wait for the insurance company to come and break into my car just so I could use the remote to get in the house. I don't use my deck anymore!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,120,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I have a ranting observation and while it may mean nothing to you I figured I'd post on city-data anyway. This has to do with decks. I am sure this goes on in every city but I have noticed it here more than anywhere else, possibly because there are so many houses here (of all kinds). I cant help but notice all of these very nice townhomes and especially mcmansions heck even very large upscale custom built looking homes that are built with NO DECK attatched to them, you look at the back of the house and see a large either slideing glass door or double french doors with either a strip of wood or metal railing or going out to nothing at all.. and many of them are up very high. So my question.... Why pay $300,000 or more for a place that dosent have a back deck built onto it? What happened to the builders at least building a stoop? It just looks silly to me, not to mention the saftey aspect of it all.. and for the life of me cant figure out how the bulders get away with not paying the extra $$ to put a deck on. I guess it is a builder option which again seems very silly especially for such high end housing!
Beats me. Every house in my neighborhood, except one, has a deck, and some have two, one on the top, off the bedroom, and one on the bottom.

Friends who recently built a large new home didn't have a deck put on because their wonderful view is out the front of their home and they have an enormous front porch, with two big ceiling fans, tables, chairs, rockers, and Brazilian cherry floor. Needless to say, they spend their outside time on their front porch. Their view from the back is nothing special but their front views are spectacular.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM

738 posts, read 3,561,353 times
When I looked at homes in Roanoke, I asked if the builder could just not build the deck, and give me a credit. I figured I could build the deck myself, and save some money.

Well, they looked at me like I had three heads, and said "Can we even do that?". Even the Realtor thought that the builder HAD to build the deck. I told them that a majority of homes in NoVa are built with just the door, and no deck, and they thought I was kidding!

It really must be a regional thing. Also when I was looking at homes down there, almost every home had a floor plan on their MLS listing as one or two of the images. Even if it was a $120k house and 50 years old, they had a floor plan to look at. It was really nice, but I've never seen anything like that in NoVa. (Unless it's a new home)

Also, if you ever look at homes in the Richmond area, they don't have traditional basements... ONLY walk-out basements. If you don't build on a lot that slopes way down in the back, they won't build you a basement! They'll build you a finished attic at the drop of a hat though...

Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,025,871 times
Wish they'd stop building these god-awful colonial style homes around here with upper floor wooden decks. They're so dated and visually uninteresting. Ground level stone or brick patios are much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia