Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Ah, didn't see the other thread (I may have overlooked it). Thanks, I'll look for it. I did read some of the links earlier in this thread, but I didn't see a clear answer (but that other thread might answer it).

Thanks... and good luck with your situation. I hope it all works out for you and your daughter!
I should clarify that I'm not 100% sure if there is another thread. I just vaguely recall the topic. If you can't find it then by all means start a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
There are other threads, but usually they point people towards this information (which was previously provided in this thread):

Student Transfer Information

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The place we are interested in would put my daughter in Lee High School. She will be a senior (12th grade) next year. She asked me if it were possible for her to go to Edison High instead since she has friends there. She doesn't really want to go to Lee if she doesn't know anyone there, especially since she will have only one year there. She'd accept going to Lee High School, but just wondered if there is any way for her to get into Edison instead? I assume not, but thought I would ask.

Yes, staying in MD one more year is an option but we're just curious about this.
I hope you stay in Maryland for one more year. My parents moved me my Senior Year...and ultimately ended up having a great year - got involved with ALL the negatives of the school...whereas the previous school, I was involved with predominately strong positives.

Changing friends, situations, everything else...particularly before that critical long-awaited SENIOR YEAR with all those memories and friendships that have been built up...can really suck for a 17-year-old.

In the new school, you aren't part of ANY of that. So basically it brings more of that darker energy out of a person, which attracts itself to other darker energy Just letting you know, as if your daughter has any opposition, you might want to take it into serious consideration.

Additionally, a year for a teen lasts forever (in memory as well), whereas a year for an adult slips by almost unnoticed.

I hope it all goes well nontheless, whatever you decide though.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-24-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I hope you stay in Maryland for one more year. My parents moved me my Senior Year...and ultimately ended up having a great year - got involved with ALL the negatives of the school...whereas the previous school, I was involved with predominately strong positives.

Changing friends, situations, everything else...particularly before that critical long-awaited SENIOR YEAR with all those memories and friendships that have been built up...can really suck for a 17-year-old.

In the new school, you aren't part of ANY of that. So basically it brings more of that darker energy out of a person, which attracts itself to other darker energy Just letting you know, as if your daughter has any opposition, you might want to take it into serious consideration.

Additionally, a year for a teen lasts forever (in memory as well), whereas a year for an adult slips by almost unnoticed.

I hope it all goes well nontheless, whatever you decide though.
Thanks for your perspective. I think waiting a year is the most likely decision. However, we will then have our second kid going in the 10th grade, so we still need info. It's pretty good for my family where we are, but it's not good for me. I've got to try to find something, though, or I'll go crazy.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 AM

526 posts, read 900,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

I need to reveal one more thing. I want to move wherever I need to move, but a big limiting factor is that I am a wheelchair user. Finding places to live that are accessible (to my level of need), and affordable, has been a frustrating experience. My current apartment needs further modifications to meet my needs. Anyways, I found one that may work in Springfield, but is within Lee High school boundaries. I've not found acceptable places near other schools yet. I wish there were people here who knew something. If we can't find anything then we'll just spend another year here, but I am dying to find a place where: 1) I can be fully independent, 2) has the right schools, and 3) is affordable. Here, I get 2 out of those 3 requirements. I need to find a place that is all three, but I don't want to live out in Loudon or Prince William. That's our situation.
If you've found a place in Springfield, you might be able to pupil-place your child at West Springfield HS, which offers AP classes. WSHS is fairly crowded, but since neither Lee nor Edison offer AP, West Springfield might be able to accommodate you.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are other threads, but usually they point people towards this information (which was previously provided in this thread):

Student Transfer Information

I saw that link, but it doesn't answer my question of "can I keep my daughter in her current school until the end of the year if I move out of the base school area." I also couldn't find another thread, but what I did do was call.

Pretty much (just in case anyone is interested) you have to register at your new base school and then ask to transfer back to your base old school. That info isn't on the website and it never states clearly that they will allow that. But the lady on the phone seemed to indicate that they would.

Anyway, I'll stop threadjacking now. Thanks everyone for the links and help, and again, I with the OP and the OP's daughter the best of luck working out her school situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia