U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,382,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I have not noticed this to be a problem. Everywhere I go everyone pretty much can speak English when required. Anyway I think it's cool to hear people speaking in foreign tongues. Lends a real "cosmopolitan" international flair to the place.
Please that cliche wore out its welcome back in the 80's. Try being a native of this area and dealing with their BS everyday. Your idealism is like a bleeding heart that needs to be sewn. This area is way over immigration. We have too much of it and most is illegal and most everyone here is terribly sick of it and ask most people and they will tell you this. It is worn out. The immigration problem is bad and the immigrants are playing it for all its worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM

398 posts, read 580,173 times
Speak for yourself artsywoman. I think Northern VA needs more immigration.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Try being a native of this area and dealing with their BS everyday.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but FWIW there are plenty of people who are native to this area who don't agree with you. I was born and raised in Arlington and do not share your opinion on immigration at all. I love living in a diverse area.

Also, as long as I'm pointing out that not everyone who is native to this area feels the same way about things, I also disagree that "everyone" calls Nova "DC." Maybe everyone you know does that, but there are a lot of people born and raised here who do not. I have always called Nova "Northern Virginia", as have the friends I went to school with here. I have said before that DC is a very nice city but it's next to northern Virginia. They are two different places, IMO.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
(side-rant)

Count me in as welcoming the increasing diversity in cultures and languages in NoVA. I may not be native Virginian, but been here since 1975. I am happy that for the most part, NoVA is very welcoming and tolerant of people from many lands and backgrounds. Growing up in Ffx Co, it was more hostile to outsiders and differing backgrounds back in my high school days (late 70's). Today, people point to NoVA's diversity as a positive model more often than as a cautionary tale.

For all the ills and "BS" blamed on immigrants, bear in mind that before the mid-1980s there still was a significant lower-income population in parts of NoVA, with similar problems of crime, derelict housing, drugs, and even gangs that we now associate with "illegals" - but they were white or black. Hybla Valley, Groveton, Rose Hill, Lorton, for instance, some of which are still home to working class, but now first or second-generation immigrants instead of what used to be whites. I worked at one place where my coworkers had friends from the Pagans over to visit quite often. Rose Hill shopping center, especially around the 7-11, was not such a nice place to go. And instead of the Mexican flag and Latin music, there was the Confederate flag and Lynyrd Skynyrd People working similar jobs, with similar financial means, and the similar problem that some of their community, often knuckleheaded kids, decide to engage in crime.

This vision of a better NoVA before the immigrants "took over" is a myth - the social issues were always here, just with a different color skin and speaking English.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,059,476 times
Well I like diversity coming from Columbus, GA its so different and fun. Am I annoyed by cashiers that don't speak proper English? Yes yes and yes. Other than that its all good if you ask me just don't put the non-English speakers at the drive-thru or at the register.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:31 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
Uniform Crime Reports of Fairfax County and Index from 1985 to 2005

According to this site, between 1980 and 2003, crime was cut by between 50% and 70% in Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria. Crime has levelled off since then. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that stranger crime has declined by even more.

So yes, the vision of an 'utopia Northern Virginia' in the 1970s/1980s before the great unwashed waves of non-natives took over is just that -- an idealized vision often held by those who were between 15-25 at the time. (I think they've done studies that show just about everyone thinks the years between 15-25 were the 'best time' for jobs, living conditions, etc. Hell, I wax nostalgic about the 1990s.)

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

398 posts, read 580,173 times
The metropolitan area in North America with the lowest crime rate, Toronto, happens to also have the highest proportion of immigrants - slightly over 50% of Toronto residents are immigrants.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Please that cliche wore out its welcome back in the 80's.
And immigrant bashing wore out its welcome in the 1880s.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,108,551 times
I speak 4 languages and can understand another one (italian). I am fluent in Spanish (my native tongue), English, German and French.

I do not know if it is rude but it does impress people. BTW my job does not have anything to do with languages.

But I learned very young, and it does give an advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or