Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times

Advertisements

The "silver lining" to weather like the past few days is that when it hits 47 tomorrow, it will feel like a heat wave. (I am so glad to have a garage to park in, and heated seats. I've blocked out the pain of the years we lived in Falls Church and had to park on an open pad way behind our house.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I'm a little tired of the cold now, after enjoying it in December. But really, this winter hasn't been bad at all. Not that cold for any length of time, not too many days of knock-you-down blustery winds. And hardly any frozen precipitation. I still walk my kids to school and so do many others in the neighborhood.

Winter can go into March sometimes, including snow. I've experienced several winters here where February will have a bit of a break, blue skies, warmer temps, and it gets cold and wet into and through March.

It's a sunny day today. I hear some parts of the country don't get that during their winters.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I don't think this winter is as bad as last winter.

Wear long underwear and if not, lots of layers. Works like a charm. At the very least, I always wear a wife beater under my sweaters and/or shirts. Acts like a lining and I hate drafts on my lower back.

Our [new] house has tons of windows so I love opening the blinds each morning and letting that sun in.

The other thing I do is wear pink, yellow, light green, and orange. I figured I can psyche myself into Spring by dressing in "happier" colors. I'm ready for Spring though; I'm thinking of starting the plants early this year and keeping them in the basement until the last frost.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
It is my first winter here! I am used to 60's and 70's this time of year...

As for the layers - I have been looking like this when I leave the house lately:

Just have to keep looking forward to our vacation in Key West in April!!
I wasn't expecting that picture as I scrolled down Thanks! I needed that chuckle!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
When does it start to warm up around here? At first, this weather was "cute", now I'm just over it. Please tell me February is warmer than January!
One year the cold weather here lasted well into May.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM

110 posts, read 272,284 times
I want snowmaggedon 2.0!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM

104 posts, read 207,975 times
Default Washington dulles international airport normals, means, and extremes

Normal high temperatures in the 70s start in late April, so not too long to wait-
Dulles Normals, Means, and Extremes

Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM

477 posts, read 736,638 times
I am counting days and was hoping by end of Feb normal life begins.

Looks like I have to wait until April..Now I am used to wearing shorts for at least 10 1/2 months in Florida when I go out.

Do people in DC area wear shorts once past winter?

Right now I feel like a robot with all layers

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
I am counting days and was hoping by end of Feb normal life begins.

Looks like I have to wait until April..Now I am used to wearing shorts for at least 10 1/2 months in Florida when I go out.

Do people in DC area wear shorts once past winter?

Right now I feel like a robot with all layers
In high school all I would wear were basketball jerseys and basketball shorts all year round regardless of the temperature. Yes at times I got very cold but ultimtately I figured out a way to mentally block that out and then I was just fine.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM

74 posts, read 122,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I wasn't expecting that picture as I scrolled down Thanks! I needed that chuckle!
No problem! I love that movie, poor Randy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey styx
The other thing I do is wear pink, yellow, light green, and orange. I figured I can psyche myself into Spring by dressing in "happier" colors. I'm ready for Spring though; I'm thinking of starting the plants early this year and keeping them in the basement until the last frost.
I wore a bright pink sweater today to cheer myself up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy
I love this weather, for some reason. I love being warm and cozy in the house at night, and hearing the wind outside. It would be better if there were lots of snow with the coldness
I don't mind being inside - I feel like I have cabin fever though. I just miss being able to go outside without freezing my face off!

I would kind of like to see a BIG snow, just because I haven't ever seen anything more than what we've had here, and I think it would be neat to see that. Haha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia