U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,944,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Nice place (or was). Let me guess? Now there's some giant house (or two houses) squeezed into the lot with veneer brick, mix-matched non-recessed windows, lots of concrete, and all of the trees and greenery have been ripped out, right?Every time I hear this I just want to vomit.
Bingo. It's now a giant yellow barn. I actually went to the old house; we thought about buying it, but the seller was a hoarder (of Civil War stuff), and it was nearly impossible to see much of the floors, etc. Still, pretty spacious 3BR house. But it probably would have required some rehab--and the apartment complex 50 feet behind the backyard was a dealbreaker for us.

Yeah, it's simultaneously heartbreaking and infuriating to see this kind of thing happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,123,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Some of Arlington's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods, Lyon Park, Ashton Heights, and Lyon Village are currently seeing more teardowns than ever before and the builders are becoming more brazen, building homes much larger and completely out of context with the older homes. A beautiful historic 4,000+ sq ft 1930s colonial in Lyon Village was sold for 1.5 mill as a teardown. A home almost twice as large with about 7 bedrooms will take its place. It will dwarf all the other homes on the street and destroy the beauty of the neighborhood. This would never happen in Cleveland Park or Rosemont.

I believe that similar neighborhoods like Chevy Chase, DC and Rosemont in Alexandria have stricter design codes in place to prevent demolitions and out of character renovations.
Don't be too sure of that - Rosemont is experiencing some of this "dwarfing", too. I was aghast when I drove through North Arlington neighborhoods for the first time since I'd lived there in the late 80s, early 90s, and was thankful that Alexandria wasn't seeing the same thing. But lately there are more tear-downs that are being replaced with houses that while perhaps within the character of the surroundings, are much larger and towering over the neighboring homes. Some of them resemble barns, to me, or it's as if in a neighborhood of small boats, someone brings in an aircraft carrier. I haven't seen a lot of it, for the most part there is much more renovation going on than tear-downs and new construction. But it looks like for those with the money and desire, building a house on steroids is possible in Rosemont.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,642,458 times
In alexandria they just SPONSORED a plan that will destroy the park and waterfront area, let alone letting it happened, they brokered the deal!

I dunno, if they stopped making mcmansions but instead started buying up the border areas in order to put up highrises would you be any happier?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,123,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
In alexandria they just SPONSORED a plan that will destroy the park and waterfront area, let alone letting it happened, they brokered the deal!

I dunno, if they stopped making mcmansions but instead started buying up the border areas in order to put up highrises would you be any happier?
That's not an accurate description of the plan, but perhaps needs a separate thread.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That's not an accurate description of the plan, but perhaps needs a separate thread.
Fair, I did get the Washington Post version which is rarely a good depiction of the reality, so I will concede that.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM

I can't believe that in two pages of posting about development and bickering over the definitions of terms like "infill" and "density," BrooklynBornDad hasn't chimed in once! He lives for this stuff.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I can't believe that in two pages of posting about development and bickering over the definitions of terms like "infill" and "density," BrooklynBornDad hasn't chimed in once! He lives for this stuff.
I will enjoy meeting him, it seems I am an instigator around here. I hope no one is too offended, I know Im an opinionated blow hard sometimes.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I will enjoy meeting him, it seems I am an instigator around here. I hope no one is too offended, I know Im an opinionated blow hard sometimes.
Well, it takes some huevos to admit that. I've done some bloviating myself on occasion. There are worse vices.

Yeah, you guys will be fast friends; I'm truly surprised he's not all over your recent posts. Hope he's OK.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Well, it takes some huevos to admit that. I've done some bloviating myself on occasion. There are worse vices.
Well I figure I take big stances, but I dont base them necessarily on an ideology and I generally try to speak about things I know well. You can tell when I go to far into a subject I can't speak to... I usually back tread quite quickly.

This blow hard brought to you by The Tysons Corner | The Tysons Corner Blog (http://thetysonscorner.com/blog/ - broken link)

Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,679,142 times
Quote:

I've been avoiding this place mostly lately. I think wisely. There are better places to discuss infill,density, etc, where I can learn things, rather than bicker.

I really don't like bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or