U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM

3,993 posts, read 6,620,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
When Verizon installs FIOS, they tear out the copper wiring. So then you're stuck...

Maybe they did this at one time....I've heard what you stated many times.

But, last April, I had Fios installed at my residence and they did NOT remove the copper wiring. I watched the entire installation, and even asked the guy about it. He said, "We don't do that". He couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me if that had ever been their policy...

I wondered if it was due to my 800' driveway and multiple poles on my property (too much work?)...so I made it a point to check if the copper wiring going into any of my rental properties (subdivision SFHs) had been removed. None had been (four of my tenants have opted for Fios). So, that's five houses that I know for a fact did not have their copper wiring removed.

ibecowtippin: At my house, the only Fios accessory that needs to be plugged in, that Cox didn't have, is the battery back-up for the phone...

Overall, I'm lukewarm about FiOS...I'm saving about 60 bucks a month from what I was paying for Cox cable and internet/Verizon land line. And FiOS has not had a single outage in the 11 months that I've had it....Cox used to go out regularly. But I don't see where FiOS performance is any better than Cox...just more reliable. I have no experience with Verizon customer service...as long as the damned thing keeps working, they won't be hearing from me.

Last edited by car54; 03-04-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM

437 posts, read 664,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
..so I made it a point to check if the copper wiring going into any of my rental properties (subdivision SFHs) had been removed. None had been (four of my tenants have opted for Fios). So, that's five houses that I know for a fact did not have their copper wiring removed.
Car54, how did you check your houses for the copper phone wiring? I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon was telling me I didn't have it but I do still (I just am not sure what it looks like). So, how did you identify it?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM

175 posts, read 271,121 times
LOVE our Verizon FIOS, we got a bundle deal and it was cheaper than Cox. Plus just love our picture, features etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,135,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
LOVE our Verizon FIOS, we got a bundle deal and it was cheaper than Cox. Plus just love our picture, features etc.
The great thing about Nova is having choices. Glad to hear some people love FIOS but we absolutely hate it and are ready to drop Verizon for all services.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM

437 posts, read 664,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The great thing about Nova is having choices. Glad to hear some people love FIOS but we absolutely hate it and are ready to drop Verizon for all services.
I guess having a choice between two is better than no choice, but I'd sure like to have more than two options available for internet service...

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

3,993 posts, read 6,620,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
Car54, how did you check your houses for the copper phone wiring? I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon was telling me I didn't have it but I do still (I just am not sure what it looks like). So, how did you identify it?
I just looked up at the poles and at the side of the house where the utilities enter the building. There are three sets of wires on residential utility poles...the top ones are the electric power cables, the middle are Cox's cables, and the bottom are Verizon's copper (and fiber) wires. The FiOS installer just snipped the copper phone wire at connection block inside my house and attached the FiOS wire to the same block. The existing copper phone wiring and Cox's coax wiring throughout the interior of the house are still in use with FiOS.

Since the copper phone wire was snipped inside the house, I don't see why it couldn't simply be reattached at any point in the future...unless Verizon intends to refuse to do so...

I should have noted that the five houses I mentioned all have above ground utilities....even if I hadn't been present for my FiOS installation, I would have known if they removed the copper simply by looking. In the case of underground utilities, I guess it would be hard to tell unless you were there watching to see if they jerked the copper wires back out of the underground conduit.

This is a total guess on my part, but I'll bet Verizon USED to remove the copper in order to prevent people from going back to regular phone service....and then they got sued over it and lost.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 211 times
If you happen to be moving to the City of Falls Church, you have another option - RCN. They were the first in Falls Church City, provide good reliable service and the price is right. Sorry we don't have access to them now that we moved to a Fairfax County Address.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM

56 posts, read 29,061 times
I live in Loudoun County and had Verizon. My mom lives in Fairfax County and has Cox cable. I grew up with Cox cable and so Verizon was new to me. Both have their pros and cons and it really depends what channels you want in your cable package. We paid month to month for ours with Verizon. We enjoyed it, but couldn't justify a paying a cable bill of $120 a month with all our other expenses. My mom recently told me her Cox cable package just rose so dramatically, she's considering switching.

Personally though, cost aside, I'd go with Verizon. We have since cut cable completely and use Verizon for phone and internet and our Verizon bill has gone down dramatically. We moved to a Roku box and subscribe to Amazon prime and Netflix. We can get WETA UK via a antenna box along with PBS, Fox 5 and NBC4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia