Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Old town is a great place to live! I prefer the southeast quadrant of old town because it is tucked away from the hussle & bussle. If you live near Washington St then you will be right on the bus line, which can take you to the metro. Of course, there are homes close to the metro as well.
If you get a chance to check out OTA, then walk (or drive) in the SE quadrant, and you might agree with me. The area that I am talking about is south of King St, and E of Washington St.
I've always liked that area the best, as well. The Safeway is in that end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
There is also an area between old town and Del Ray. It is basically an extension of Old town to the northwest along Commonwealth Ave. There are nice homes there.
That's called Rosemont. It's all residential (except for the tiny Rosemont Market). $850,000 to $1.2 million would get a very nice detached home there, $600K to $850K a smaller 3BR, and townhouses for $500K and up. Very nice leafy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Last I heard, FIOS is NOT coming to Alex. City

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM

206 posts, read 432,520 times
FiOS is most certainly NOT available in Alexandria City, and that includes Old Town. You can thank the city council for that - they jerked Verizon around for years until they finally gave up. You can read their letter to the mayor here:

Verizon FiOS FAQ | Citizen Assistance | City of Alexandria, VA

We're now stuck with slow, unreliable, expensive Comcrap for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Last I heard, FIOS is NOT coming to Alex. City
Well that's what I get for assuming!

Thanks to your info I've just been reading up on it. Verizon has scaled back its rollout of FIOS and Alexandria doesn't have it and won't get it.

FiOS buildout is dying

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
FiOS is most certainly NOT available in Alexandria City, and that includes Old Town. You can thank the city council for that - they jerked Verizon around for years until they finally gave up. You can read their letter to the mayor here:

Verizon FiOS FAQ | Citizen Assistance | City of Alexandria, VA

We're now stuck with slow, unreliable, expensive Comcrap for the foreseeable future.
Bolded is not what happened.

You can read my earlier link and find others to see that Verizon's decision is not because of the Alexandria city council.

Even in your link, "but Verizon subsequently suspended all such negotiations nationwide while the company conducted a review of its business plans."

From what I've read, Boston isn't getting FIOS, either. Nor Baltimore.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 18,174 times
Hmmm... and I thought real estate prices might be our breaking point. Never imagined it would be internet service. What does one do for high speed internet in Old Town?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Bolded is not what happened.

You can read my earlier link and find others to see that Verizon's decision is not because of the Alexandria city council.

Even in your link, "but Verizon subsequently suspended all such negotiations nationwide while the company conducted a review of its business plans."

From what I've read, Boston isn't getting FIOS, either. Nor Baltimore.
If city council had agreed a bajillion years ago when this started (late 2006 or so), it wouldn't have been a problem. Alexandria is the only place without it - Arlington, Fairfax, Falls Church all have it. It's not Verizon's fault they missed their chance.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDaisy View Post
Hmmm... and I thought real estate prices might be our breaking point. Never imagined it would be internet service. What does one do for high speed internet in Old Town?
Comcrap cable is it. Don't expect DOCSIS 3.0, either - last I checked it's not available here either.

(I'm not counting DSL as high speed. At least where I work, it's not considered suitable for teleworking.)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 18,174 times
What about Cox Cable. Is it available in OTA? Looks like their "Ultimate" package would be fast enough. I absolutely refuse to use Comcast. Would rather chew my own leg off.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDaisy View Post
What about Cox Cable. Is it available in OTA? Looks like their "Ultimate" package would be fast enough. I absolutely refuse to use Comcast. Would rather chew my own leg off.
Comcast is the only cable company available in the Alexandria city limits. There are surrounding areas with an Alexandria address that are actually part of Fairfax County; Cox Cable is available there. Various neighborhoods near George Washington Pkwy (aka Washington St in Old Town) might appeal to you there, including Belle Haven, Fort Hunt and Stratford Landing. The shopping centers at Hollin Hall and Belle View are quaint and you might appreciate the big box selection over on Route 1. Old Town Alexandria would be 5-15 minutes away although, besides the 11Y express bus I suggested earlier, transportation may not be as convenient for commuting although the Huntington Metro station is close for unhurried trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia