U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM

23 posts, read 45,414 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about these builders? Not sure who are reputable builders who don't just build cookie cutter homes. Looking for more of a custom or semi custom builder.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,191,095 times
NVHomes is the sister company to Ryan Homes. They don't do custom...they have models you can choose from and then pick your finishes.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM

137 posts, read 216,683 times
We live in an NV home. It's just ok quality. The finish is nice, but underneath the pretty surface is typical pre-fab construction. NV builds their homes in a factory and trucks the sections to the build site.

We have several sheet rock nails popping through and some areas where the walls aren't level and plumb. We have several sheet rock cracks throughout. It is the loudest home I've ever had. Outside noises penetrate the exterior walls in a bad way. Same for any interior noise. I can hear the TV in the basement when I'm 2 floors up if it's turned up loud. My spring project is to fill all walls with spray foam to insulate and cut the noise better. We have exterior brick cracking and foundation cracks throughout. The sidewalk has dropped 2 inches from voiding below.

Both AC units had to be replaced within 8 yrs. Furnaces are good. Appliances have held up. No water leaks. We've begun replacing all the light fixtures from the builder-quality ones.

This is my 4th home. Overall I'd give it a C+ compared to our other homes.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Thank you for that info! I am familiar with Ryan homes and do not like their quality. If anyone has a paragon home would love your opinion.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

45 posts, read 122,612 times
Although NV & Ryan are related, I see no similarities btwn the 2. We have an NV home and they pay attention to detail--crown molding, very nice light fixtures, recessed ceilings--all standard, whereas w/ Ryan you get none of that. My neighborhood is a mix of Ryan & NV and even our mailboxes are a lot nicer. We've been here a year and had very few nail pops & the only problems we've had are the appliances. They use Whirlpool. We didn't get the upgraded appliances (not stainless) and they are awful. The range, microwave & dbl wall oven are very nice but the dishwasher & refrigerator were so bad they should have been ashamed to install them. We replaced both already.

Check out NV and see what you think, we looked at a lot of builders and were most impressed w/ them (for the price & area). We're really happy w/ this house.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I had the opposite experience...We have built both NV and Ryan and the Ryan we recently built is great. The difference for us was a great project manager who kept on his subs!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 AM

137 posts, read 216,683 times
Best example yet...2 different NV owners with 2 different views...so you can see it's like a box of chocolates.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Guess it wouldn't hurt to check out NV Homes and see up close and personal. I've been on their website but not always easy to tell quality from pics! We will go see Avonlea Singles in Chantilly and I believe there is a new subdiv in Gainesville as well as two in Vienna.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM

If you get close to buying, ask to meet the project manager who would be working on your home. They make a world of difference in a good product and a not-so-good one.
Good luck!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM

199 posts, read 587,983 times
If you're looking for custom, you should look at Winchester Homes. They have models that they will build, but you can customize it pretty much however you like....of course you'll pay for whatever changes you want to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia