Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times

Advertisements

All Fairfax County public schools will be closed on Friday, January 28. Offices will be open with an unscheduled leave policy in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM

262 posts, read 582,667 times
Holy cow! The kids will get 7 days off from school since they are scheduled to be off next Monday and Tuesday. Kinda makes me want to be a kid again!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM

110 posts, read 272,400 times
wow, are the roads still that bad?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
All Fairfax County public schools will be closed on Friday, January 28. Offices will be open with an unscheduled leave policy in effect.
I appreciate the early notice. The kids now will have a full week at home, and we'll be making it up on Monday, February 21st. Let's hope this doesn't continue into February as last year. I'm actually getting more planning work done here at home for school than I would if I was there. Maybe that means I'll really have time to clean my office next Monday on our workday.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finini01 View Post
wow, are the roads still that bad?
I admit I haven't been out so can't speak to the roads, which I'm guessing are/will be in good shape. But remember there's power out in various places, plus all the school parking lots to be plowed out not to mention digging out all the school buses. My guess is there's a lot more to it than just the roads.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times
Here are the thoughts that my husband and I have and they have been shared with FCPS:

I'm wondering if it would help the public to understand how many buses have to have snow cleared off, how many bus lots require snow clearance, and how many acres of pavement (sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots) FCPS has to clear before it's safe for kids and employees to go to school? FCPS has 175,000 students attending about 200 schools. I don't think people appreciate the magnitude of the work needed to clear 6-10 inches of heavy snow off the buses and school grounds.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Here are the thoughts that my husband and I have and they have been shared with FCPS:

I'm wondering if it would help the public to understand how many buses have to have snow cleared off, how many bus lots require snow clearance, and how many acres of pavement (sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots) FCPS has to clear before it's safe for kids and employees to go to school? FCPS has 175,000 students attending about 200 schools. I don't think people appreciate the magnitude of the work needed to clear 6-10 inches of heavy snow off the buses and school grounds.
Fair points, but that amount of snow is no big deal in the northeast. It gets done there.
So the thing is, not that it has to be done -- it can certainly be done -- but this area being equipped to do it / being prepared to do it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
But the northeast routinely year in and year out gets this kind of snow. Before last year, I believe the last time we had this much snow in one shot was six years before. We just don't get this much snow this regularly to devote a bigger portion of the budget to it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Fair points, but that amount of snow is no big deal in the northeast. It gets done there.
So the thing is, not that it has to be done -- it can certainly be done -- but this area being equipped to do it / being prepared to do it.

Apples and oranges.

In the Northeast, each town has their own school system with a handful of schools. Bus transportation is largely contracted out to private operators which are responsible for their own digging out.

Where in the Northeast do they have to plow 200+ schools scattered over 400 square miles and dig out 1200+ buses?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Apples and oranges.

In the Northeast, each town has their own school system with a handful of schools. Bus transportation is largely contracted out to private operators which are responsible for their own digging out.

Where in the Northeast do they have to plow 200+ schools scattered over 400 square miles and dig out 1200+ buses?
True, most districts are not as huge as this, but it's usually the same area that would have to be cleared. Clearing 200+ schools is clearing 200+ schools, whether it is the resources of one district doing it or that of many. Remember that just because there may be many smaller districts does not mean they have sufficient/unlimited budgets.

For things like dealing with adverse weather, the large district here is absurd. One part of the county may have an inch of slush while other parts have nothing, half may have power while the other half doesn't. It is far preferable in most other cases, though, I've found ... eliminating so many school boards, superintendents, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia