U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,729,139 times

Advertisements

I think that Montana doesn't have sales tax which VA does. (5%) Gas prices are roughly $3/gallon right now. State taxes are only slightly lower (5.75% vs 6%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,680,375 times
let me second if you are a homeschooler, there is a big homeschool community out in Loudon. We hs'ed DD for 8th grade only, DW made contact with folks up there. make contact with Vahomeschoolers, there are message boards, etc, and they can give you more info.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

152 posts, read 173,122 times
HereinVA:
I'm sure they do get more expensive. But, I don't think I'll go planning that far in advance just yet. Hubby is able to move up within the company according the info online. And my husband is highly motivated at learning new things and making himself more valuable to a company. He absorbs information like no one else I know. LOL
And once that house is sold - we'll free up an extra $800 a month. That should be very useful!

I like the idea of the national parks pass. I'll have to look into that if we move there.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I think that Montana doesn't have sales tax which VA does. (5%) Gas prices are roughly $3/gallon right now. State taxes are only slightly lower (5.75% vs 6%)
That's one thing I'd miss about MT. Back where I lived in MN there was 7% sales tax.

Gas prices are $2.88 a gal here.

brooklynborndad:
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM

110 posts, read 243,946 times
original poster:

My wife and I are renting a 2 bedroom apartment in Chantilly for $1300 a month. It's a privately owned condo leased through a real estate agency. Talk to a realtor. There are LOTS of townhouses/condos in centreville/chantilly (we looked at like 6 or 7) that go for $1300-$1500. We have had a very good experience so far and we like Chantilly. Direct message me if you want to talk to me directly about it...

look here: http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/...y_VA#/sortby-1

Last edited by finini01; 01-28-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM

finini01:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 AM

123 posts, read 360,363 times
not sure what the rents are now but south riding area of chantilly is really nice. I think you could def. make it with a two bedroom...keeping the baby in your room. It would be a way to save money until you could locate where you really want to be....also too - sometimes its really worth it not to look in dev't upon dev't places to rent.....you may find something a little cheaper if you opt for a place not in a typical HOA situation. Would caution though - even though you are frugal this area is very expensive and if you want your kids in even basic activities it can amount to a small fortune.....

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 AM

144 posts, read 295,180 times
I also second the Leesburg recommendation. Leesburg is a nice quaint older town and I actually used to live there and commuted to Chantilly every day. There is a back road way you can go to get to route 50 and then another back road way you can go to get down into chantilly without sitting on route 50 for an hour.

Chantilly traffic actually gets pretty crazy both directions on route 50 so, the back ways really helped me when I lived there.

The prices in Leesburg are also reasonable in your price range. There are a couple "not so great" townhouse neighborhoods there... but nothing terrible.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks AmyinNOVA and TheBIGstep.

To TheBIGstep,

I truthfully have no interest in putting my kids in any activities. I will be honest here. I do not intend for this to be our home. If hubby gets the job, I would like him to stick with it a year or two and then look for jobs near Roanoke again. We have very good friends in that area. Originally he only applied at the company because we thought they had a Lexington office that would have been much closer to our friends. But, the position is in Chantilly and the Lexington office in now closed. So, since he's been applying for a while, we figure this would at least get us closer to our friends if it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia