Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,022,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
My intent wasn't to argue, my intent was to let you know about the program as in option in case you didn't know. Sorry if I came across wrong.
FWIW, this is one of those threads that's not only helpful to the OP but also will be accessed a lot through the search engine (and probably revived a few times by other people with similar problems).

Many people moving here have similar budgets and are interested in which schools have full-time K. The title has a few key words that guarantee it will be seen in many searches. Plus, this thread is starting to have a nice collection of lists and links, so we might as well add to them. It's nice to have information all in one place even if every suggestion isn't helpful to every person.

So even though jillabean's info wasn't useful to you, it wasn't meant as an argument. She may have added it knowing that others looking at this thread could find it helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,165,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, this is one of those threads that's not only helpful to the OP but also will be accessed a lot through the search engine (and probably revived a few times by other people with similar problems).

Many people moving here have similar budgets and are interested in which schools have full-time K. The title has a few key words that guarantee it will be seen in many searches. Plus, this thread is starting to have a nice collection of lists and links, so we might as well add to them. It's nice to have information all in one place even if every suggestion isn't helpful to every person.

So even though jillabean's info wasn't useful to you, it wasn't meant as an argument. She may have added it knowing that others looking at this thread could find it helpful.
which I accept and apologized for being defensive.

It is just frustrating to be argued with over and over again on this issue. 75% of the schools in the County have full-day K, 25% do not. I prefer the 75%.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,022,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
which I accept and apologized for being defensive.

It is just frustrating to be argued with over and over again on this issue. 75% of the schools in the County have full-day K, 25% do not. I prefer the 75%.
LOL, I hear ya and totally understand! Looking for a house here can be extremely frustrating. Especially with school complications added into the mix.

<passes a box of chocolates, because looking for a house is so maddening you DESERVE chocolate. >

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
<passes a box of chocolates, because looking for a house is so maddening you DESERVE chocolate. >
It's like you can read my mind

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,767,188 times
Searching for a home can be worse than searching for a job, in the DC area.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,718,336 times
One more resource -- check out page 65 of the FCPS Capital Improvement Program book for a map of schools that (currently) have Full Day Kindergarten.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/cipbook2012-16.pdf

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
One more resource -- check out page 65 of the FCPS Capital Improvement Program book for a map of schools that (currently) have Full Day Kindergarten.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/cipbook2012-16.pdf
I had not seen that - thanks, OrangeFish!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM

53 posts, read 126,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
$450.000? I can remember thinking $60,000 was a killer when I bought my first house. When we moved to upgrade I then thought $92 thou was way too much.

I'm in Prince William Co so can't help you in your search. Except to say if you come out to PW you can find a very nice home for what you are looking to pay.
Most of the Fairfax/Reston/ETC residents seem to still view PWC or at least Manassas as trash, so probably falling on deaf ears there.

I live in Manassas, so I hear ya. My house was $400,000 even last year when we moved here in November. Nice size. Awesome neighborhood, with everyone on nothing less than an acre. We are on 1.5 acres. Signal Hill School is pretty nice, too.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Bigfoot424 - I know, it is insane when THAT budget is so "low-rent" We make more than $100K combined, for crying out loud - finding a decent house shouldn't be this hard. There were so many reasons why I was hoping to get to Austin by this summer, but oh, well!

We were THIS.CLOSE to moving to PWC a couple years ago when my husband was commuting to Stafford. Then he got the job in Ashburn. Again, a lot of moving targets here, but I do prefer Fairfax just for the possibility that I may go back to working in the city at SOME point. We have several months, though - we shall see. PWC is all full-day K, correct?
My husband commutes to DC, from our home in South Manassas. He does a rideshare, or he teams up with some co-workers that live nearby. OR, he goes in by himself and just leaves earlier...There are ways, you just adapt.
I think you may be focusing so much on these amenities that you think you may need, when if you find a home that at least just works well, you'll find that you just adapt.

I had the issue with my son in the 1/2 K when we lived near Waples Mill Ele. We just adapted...Not everything can be picture perfect when you're looking for a home and especially in a highly congested area such as NoVA.

We chose to move away from FFX for that very reason. My son in now in 1st grade. We just moved here this past November and we are loving the whole feeling of being in our own worlds, (because of the land), yet just right down the road, (Prince William Pwky), is Hastings Marketplace that contains a 24/7 Harris Teeter. Our home was $400,000, and it's a truly awesome setting! Here is an aerial view:

Unfortunately, that is a more of winter view, since a lot of the trees are less foliage, so you can't see the true beauty with all of the trees.

The neighbors are so incredibly friendly and really push for a community sense, and for our kids to know one another.

I never got that feeling while living in FFX Cty. Why are you home now? For your child? Then why not be home one more year while she goes to school for half days? Or, work part time? Or, find a mom who will watch your child after school for an hour or two, until you get home? There are tons of options. If you're working full time, you shouldn't have to worry so much about paying a caregiver a bit of money to get your child from school or off the bus and care for her for those remaining few hours of the day. It really isn't that costly. PWC schools have full day K, btw.

Last edited by JulzRulez; 02-02-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Searching for a home can be worse than searching for a job, in the DC area.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia