U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,832 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone-

Well, it appears the move to Austin is on life support right now. My husband cannot keep his current job and the opportunities for his current career are better in this area. If we make the commitment to stay, my feeling is it will be for several more years. If so, I'd like to buy a single family home somewhere in Fairfax County.

I was thinking about Reston, Herndon and Fairfax as possibilities based on my initial scanning of the the listings online. Close to the Fairfax County Parkway is fairly key (we're currently living in Reston). My husband currently works in Ashburn and I commute a couple days a week to Lorton. His office MIGHT move a little closer in, but we think Reston is as far in as it might move. I think $450K is our limit, although $400K and below would be ideal. I do know this doesn't get me much, but we really just want a house with a yard that is in a decent neighborhood and not in complete disrepair.

Our daughter is starting K next year. I prefer an elementary school closeby (preferably walking distance) that is a full-day K for scheduling and budget purposes.

We would also like to be in a neighborhood relatively close to amenities - Reston has spoiled us. A grocery store walking distance (maybe a mile away?) would be lovely.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 PM

263 posts, read 795,435 times
There are quite a few homes in Reston and Herndon area that are SFH in the under $450K price range. If you want to get a bit more for your money you may want to consider the Chantilly and Centreville areas. You can find out which schools offer Full Day Kindergarten on the Fairfax County Schools website: Fairfax County Public Schools - Schools and Centers Directory and by searching on a particular address.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Is there a reason you need to stay in Fairfax County? If not, I'd seriously consider getting a place right in Ashburn, especially since the metro will be there.

ps. Sorry about your news. I know you were really hoping Austin would come through. FWIW, Austin's loss is our gain and I'm glad we'll probably be seeing you here a while more.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
I didn't think LCPS offered full-day K, which the OP is trying to find. And, suffice it to say, the metro won't be in Ashburn for several years (was just reading about some of the delays to date on the Silver Line construction).

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=347886&paper=88&cat=104 (broken link)

In terms of areas to consider, Centreville seems like a possibility, though it's not very walkable. I do think that the Greenway Downs neighborhood in Falls Church is a good investment opportunity, and it's close to some stores, but it's not very convenient to the Fairfax County Parkway.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is there a reason you need to stay in Fairfax County? If not, I'd seriously consider getting a place right in Ashburn, especially since the metro will be there.

ps. Sorry about your news. I know you were really hoping Austin would come through. FWIW, Austin's loss is our gain and I'm glad we'll probably be seeing you here a while more.
Aww, thanks, Caladium! The decision is not 100% made yet, it is really up to my husband. He doesn't want to disappoint his family, but he would likely have to take a pay cut AND go into a field he isn't really interested in to move now. A few more years here, and maybe we can reevaluate. My parents likely will move here, though, so that does help us a little

We have thought about Ashburn before, but yes, I want full-day K PLUS there is a chance that in the future I may need to commute downtown again and Reston was already pushing it in terms of how far out I really want to go.

I forgot to add a neighborhood within a reasonable distance to a bus line and/or metro station would be phenomenol. Reston has the Fairfax Connector busses running through the community, and I used to use the park and rides to commute to Arlington in a former life. A bus stop near the neighborhood OR a park-and-ride nearby would be great.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
A few more years here, and maybe we can reevaluate.
There's a lot of true to that. I really do believe the economy will improve in a few more years and that could be a much smarter time to move to Austin.

I didn't realize that about LCPS kindergarten. Bummer! Oh well, Herndon and Reston have houses in your price range and al least you already know which neighborhoods you'd like.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,530,161 times
If you want to stay in Reston at that price point you really should be considering a townhouse.

This one is a very close walk to South Lakes Shopping Center (~500 yards on the trail); in Sunrise Valley elementary district; and has tennis courts, soccer field, trails in the woods, and a BUS STOP adjacent to the development. I have a friend that has lived in the development for about 20 years.
10924 HARPER'S SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

ETA: I just found photos of the interior on the realtor website. They were in a odd place - had to click on virtual tour. This house has been updated very recently. Photos look excellent! Also an end unit with open space next to the unit.

Last edited by JfromReston; 01-29-2011 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: More information

Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
If you want to stay in Reston at that price point you really should be considering a townhouse.
Thanks, but I REALLY don't want to "move up" to another townhouse. I know there are some lovely, spacious ones, but we want a yard of our own. A yard we can set our kid(s?) free in for a while, maybe get a dog and a doghouse. I also kind of despise the up and down the stairs for every single thing BS.

I do love Reston, but it isn't worth being in a TH again to me.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
There's a lot of true to that. I really do believe the economy will improve in a few more years and that could be a much smarter time to move to Austin.
Yeah, hopefully the economy will be better all around...but for my husband, he will hopefully be able to start designing things like he wants to here (he has an engineering degree that he JUST finished last spring, but hasn't been able to use it much for his job). If we moved to Austin, he'd have to start at the bottom and probably not in defense/security contracting like he does now. The opportunities, contacts, all of it - better in DC AND no paycut.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,703,007 times
West Springfield (22152) has some homes that meet your requirements. Not sure about all day kindergarten in all the area elementary schools, but Hunt Valley, West Springfield, Keene Mill, Orange Hunt, Cardinal Forester, and Sangster are very good schools. Close to the Fairfax County Parkway. Several bus routes along Old Keene Mill Road and at least four park and rides, too. It's a safe area, and many people walk to the different shopping centers (the Panera/Whole Foods center has several other shops enclosed--it's nice). There are some very good deals on homes near Greeley/Carrleigh Parkway. We rent a house in a different area of West Springfield, but I really like the Carrleigh Parkway/Cardinal Forest area.

Hope you find a great place for your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or