Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

I just read Capital Weather Gang this morning and it looks like the are backing off what they were saying even yesterday. Of course, it only takes .25 inch to close down the schools so who knows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
As of today, 3 days after the storm, the street in front of our elementary school and in some sections around the neighborhood are still messy. No wonder why they keep having to close schools... [rant]

Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
[quote=Gottasay;17638463]I checked NOAA's website and here's their forecast:

Sunday
Night

Snow/Sleet

Lo 24 °F

Tuesday

Wintry
Mix
Hi 33 °F

Tuesday
Night

FzgRn
Likely
Lo 28 °F

QUOTE]

#$#(*%!@@(#(@

Can I say that on here? I hate winter! Don't flame me please.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
I just read Capital Weather Gang this morning and it looks like the are backing off what they were saying even yesterday. Of course, it only takes .25 inch to close down the schools so who knows!
Well, we'll find out. The clerk at the grocery store this afternoon was asking everyone if they were getting ready for the ice storm headed this way...then again, maybe he was trying to raise the store's profits...

Quote:
As of today, 3 days after the storm, the street in front of our elementary school and in some sections around the neighborhood are still messy. No wonder why they keep having to close schools... [rant]
Ya see, if they had school in summer instead of winter, that wouldn't be the case! No lingering clean up after storms!

Quote:
#$#(*%!@@(#(@

Can I say that on here? I hate winter! Don't flame me please.
Its quite allright. The only part I love about winter is the snow. I LOVE summer, btw.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Capital Weather Gang seems to essentially be saying freezing rain Mon night into Tues, a break, then rain Tues night into Wed, except for north and west of town where they just aren't sure, due to where the temps will be. I give up on trying to actually work...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Capital Weather Gang seems to essentially be saying freezing rain Mon night into Tues, a break, then rain Tues night into Wed, except for north and west of town where they just aren't sure, due to where the temps will be. I give up on trying to actually work...
Channel 4 news was just saying there was some possible freezing rain Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning. I guess no more "ice" storm.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Channel 4 news was just saying there was some possible freezing rain Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning. I guess no more "ice" storm.
So we may have escaped another big one, but I hear another nor'easter may be looming for a week from today. My point is not about whether or not we will have a major storm this week, its about how every year we miss many days of school due to snow and ice storms that occur primarily in January and February. And, no matter how much we whine, school officials just keep on cancelling school for more time than really necessary, "out of an abundance of caution." So, given the fact that there are also holidays and teacher work days during those months, why not just declare those months as vacation months instead of putting students and their caregivers in an annual lurch that certainly doesn't bode well for their educational futures (and instead have school in July and August when the weather is far more manageable)?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
But then there are ALWAYS the folks that B(*&^ because school was/wasn't cancelled, delayed, etc.

If school was held in summer, they'd be complaining about the heat..... can't win.

Weather is what it is, we all must deal w/it as best we can.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
But then there are ALWAYS the folks that B(*&^ because school was/wasn't cancelled, delayed, etc.

If school was held in summer, they'd be complaining about the heat..... can't win.

Weather is what it is, we all must deal w/it as best we can.
I agree with you, this issue is one of those that you can't win for losing, there will always be a faction of the people that the schools can't please no matter when school was.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Instead of cancelling school, how about we just cancel winter? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia