Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM

743 posts, read 3,886,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I've got a question. On a highway with a dividing strip of some sort, do you have to stop on the other side of the strip? I'm thinking of roads like Van Dorn.
In driving school back in the day, I was told that you do NOT have to stop if there is a median. Basically it's like 2 one-way streets.

If there is a median, the bus driver is supposed to drop the kid off on the correct side of the street, so they do not have to cross when getting off the bus.

So unless they changed something... that has been my understanding of it. The same works for a fire engine or ambulance... if there's a median, and you're on the other side, you don't need to slow down, or pull off to the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
In driving school back in the day, I was told that you do NOT have to stop if there is a median. Basically it's like 2 one-way streets.

If there is a median, the bus driver is supposed to drop the kid off on the correct side of the street, so they do not have to cross when getting off the bus.

So unless they changed something... that has been my understanding of it. The same works for a fire engine or ambulance... if there's a median, and you're on the other side, you don't need to slow down, or pull off to the side.

Yes, this is still true.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Another question: What if you do stop completely but it is slightly past the school bus stop sign?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Another question: What if you do stop completely but it is slightly past the school bus stop sign?

If you are traveling in the same direction as the bus, you are supposed to stop behind the bus, not alongside it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 137,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
If I were you I would thank my lucky stars you did not kill or maim a kid - you would have to live with that the rest of your life.
I don't care what your excuse is - you should hang your head in shame and hope you pay dearly for what you did.
Fairfax Mom: I think your comment was uncalled for and rude. He made a mistake, as all of us do, and is simply worried about what's going to happen to him now. I'm sure he's glad he didn't hit a child.

To the original poster: I would call a lawyer. They're not THAT expensive. Find out your rights. You can ask the court to allow you to take a driving course/test. Best case scenario the court tosses the ticket... most likely, though, they'll reduce it to a lesser charge.

VA is way too harsh when it comes to declaring reckless driving charges. They consider 20mph over the speed limit reckless driving regardless of whether you're in a subdivision or on a highway. It's a stupid law since in one scenario you're doing almost double the speed limit and in another you're doing 30% over the speed limit.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If you are traveling in the same direction as the bus, you are supposed to stop behind the bus, not alongside it.
Would a cop write me up over it? I've done it a couple of times (not by choice, and WON'T do it again), haven't gotten written up yet.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpicardq View Post
Fairfax Mom: I think your comment was uncalled for and rude. He made a mistake, as all of us do, and is simply worried about what's going to happen to him now. I'm sure he's glad he didn't hit a child.

To the original poster: I would call a lawyer. They're not THAT expensive. Find out your rights. You can ask the court to allow you to take a driving course/test. Best case scenario the court tosses the ticket... most likely, though, they'll reduce it to a lesser charge.

VA is way too harsh when it comes to declaring reckless driving charges. They consider 20mph over the speed limit reckless driving regardless of whether you're in a subdivision or on a highway. It's a stupid law since in one scenario you're doing almost double the speed limit and in another you're doing 30% over the speed limit.
In my opinion Virginia is tough state on reckless drivers and i applaud that. For 20 over in a subdivision i think that should fetch jail time, i can see (NOT understand) 20 over on a highway but what is the hurry inside a subdivison with kids playing?

My observation is that the NoVA posters, like me, are sick of the selfish drivers who endanger others on the road for NO good reason and this is our response, which is more productive than giving the offenders the bird on the highway or cussing them out on the street or even worse.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times
The key is you have to be able to identify the driver. A few weeks ago we were hit by an SUV. The went up on the median near Fair Oaks Mall and after hitting us their passenger side mirror was hanging. I thought I was doing a good job getting the plate number. The police said they couldn't do anything unless I could identify who was driving the other car.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,456,843 times
jlpicardq - Do you have kids? Maybe I overeacted but - come on - how can you miss a huge bus with a huge STOP sign? What was he doing - texting someone like all the other idiots. And I am not rude - you are rude - I was just posting my thoughts - kiss my you know what! God - everyone is so nambly pambly - oh the poor guy - just made a teeny weeny mistake - lets just let him get by with a little pat on his behind

Last edited by Nancy in Nokomis; 08-28-2008 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
It is unlikely that you can receive a ticket based solely on the bus driver's report. At most, you (or the rental company) would receive a warning letter.
Exactly right...You can't get a ticket without the cop present for what you describe. Just be careful for next time and you'll be all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia