Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 33,253 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Unfortunately I happened to overtake a school bus in northern VA 2 days back when the stop sign was ON and the bus was unloading children. I was new to this place and was looking for someting while driving and missed to notice the STOP sign on school bus. As soon as I overtook the bus, the driver honked at me, and when I stopped at the next traffic signal, the bus was right behind me and I could see the driver noting down my car number.

- I have an out of state license (Texas)
- I am on H1 visa, my visa transfer is in progress for a new employer
- I am very new to VA
- I was using a rental car
- I have had clean driving history for last 2 years

Request the people on this forum to guide me on how severe an offense this is.
What implications this could have if I get a ticket.
I did some googling and found that in VA this accounts to reckless driving. How should I handle this if I get a ticket.

I am really scared and any suggestions would help me a lot.

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
It is pretty serious as far as moving violations are concerned but I don't think your livelihood will be in any jeapordy over it.....

Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 PM

As mentioned above, I have an out of state license. I am basically from Texas. Does anyone know if incase I get a traffic ticket, I need to come to VA to appear in the court? Has anyone come across such case (School bus overtake). What was the court verdict?

Please throw some light on this.......

Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I'm not 100% certain on anything. One thing I'm confused about though, do you or do you not live in Virginia? You first stated you were new to the state, but then seem to be implying that you live in Texas and a trip back for a potential court date would be burdensome. Where are you currently living, and if not in Virginia, are you planning on moving here? That could affect the way this is judged.

Either way, read this:

Reckless Driving in Virginia Penalty Vienna Henrico 20 Speed Limit Accident Define Attorney Violation Racing Lawyer

Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
It is unlikely that you can receive a ticket based solely on the bus driver's report. At most, you (or the rental company) would receive a warning letter.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks guys...
To answer dullnboring's question, I have relocated to VA. But I still have TX driving license. There is a small possibility that I may have to again relocate to CA. I just wanted to make sure, in case I relocate do I have to come back to VA to appear in the court...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 13,890 times
As in any other state or in your case a Commonwealth means exactly that! You are common and probably do not have wealth...thats why you left Tx. Joking. However, you need to sign up for a defensive(literally) safe driving class by an accreditated school and then fork over a lot of cash for the court and attorney fees. That's the long & short of it all. Lo siento, que lastima.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
If I were you I would thank my lucky stars you did not kill or maim a kid - you would have to live with that the rest of your life.
I dont care what your excuse is - you should hang your head in shame and hope you pay dearly for what you did.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
I'm sure the OP of this year old thread is long gone but I'll add my $.02.

I drive a bus for FCPS and there is a procedure for us to report bus passers. But it's long and complicated, sort of like a citizens' arrest. You need much more than a tag number, you have to be able to identify the driver in court. Due to the complexity of it, coupled with the sheer numbers of maniacs out there (literally dozens of people run my lights EVERY day!), most bus drivers just concentrate on protecting their students from these nuts.

The real danger of bus passers is when we are "crossing" students....where the kids cross the street in front of the bus. Our routing tries to minimize having to cross students....we drive many miles out of the way to drop the kids on the same side as they live on, but in some situations we have to cross them.

We do have a secret weapon for really egregious or chronic bus passers....we can request a FCPD motor officer to shadow the bus. He'll ride his motorcycle right on the front (or rear) bumper of the bus, and when they fly by........GOTCHA! I love it and have availed myself of this service several times in my short career (just been driving bus a few years since I retired).

Incidently, did you all know that emergency vehicles with lights and siren on are required by law to stop for a school bus that is loading/unloading? Of course, we immediately stop the loading/unloading, turn off our lights and let them go.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:50 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
I've got a question. On a highway with a dividing strip of some sort, do you have to stop on the other side of the strip? I'm thinking of roads like Van Dorn.

And the word mainiac offends me, being from Maine!!!!!!!! We are sensative in Maine lol.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia