U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,787,774 times

Advertisements

Is it considered its own town? But in the phone book zip code section, it's a subdivision of Vienna. As in, the zips are listed "Vienna, 22XXX, Vienna 22XXY, Vienna (Dunn Loring) 22XYZ"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,090,497 times
I don't think it's considered a town anymore...just a blip in the megalopolis of NOVA.

It once was a town with it's own station on the WOD Railroad...in fact, it was the first platted subdivision in Fairfax County. I remember riding my bike to the general store there when I was a kid (circa 1960) to grab a grape NeHi and a Moon Pie. Gallows Rd was a 2-lane road then and the Beltway wasn't built yet

Dunn Loring, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM

263 posts, read 814,394 times
It does have its own Post Office although the houses in the area have a Vienna address.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM

165 posts, read 460,941 times
Dunn Loring is the area around the intersection of Lee Highway (US Highway 29) and Gallows Road. It's perhaps best known today as the name of a Metrorail station. The Beltway (I-495) passes right underneath Dunn Loring, but there is no exit directly there.

Just to the south of Dunn Loring is the "Merrifield" neighborhood, home to the giant U.S. Postal headquarters facility for the whole No.Va. region, the giant Fairfax Hospital, and the largest garden nursery store in No.Va.

To the north of Dunn Loring is Tysons Corner, workplace to some 80,000 people along with 2 large Malls.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM

30 posts, read 72,998 times
Dunn Loring is centered on the Dunn Loring post office. It has a 7-11, fire house, 2 schools, couple gas stations, couple churches, old folks home and a few office buildings. It extends a little ways this way and a little ways in the other direction. The old store and train stop are long gone. There are a few old victorian houses left and the old colored section is still there (Haney Lane behind the fire house). Like most old neighborhoods in Fx Co it has been blanched by infill development and the speed of the automobile. Some trees planted in the Gallows Rd median would be a nice touch.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,090,497 times
What I found interesting is that Dunn Loring was the site of Camp Alger...built during the Spanish-American War....and that poet Carl Sandburg trained there.

I used to own a rental property on Camp Alger Ave in Falls Church (22042) and I never knew the origin of the name....ya learn sumpin new every day!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM

219 posts, read 417,318 times
Dunn Loring is the no-mans land between the territories of two powerful rival gangs: the haughty latte-wielding SWPLs of Vienna and the feisty machete-wielding MS-13s of Merrifield.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM

8,670 posts, read 12,990,410 times
For what it's worth, I think this is going to be an up and coming area. It is conveniently located near a Metro, and there are lots of new condos and townhomes within walking distance of the station. The elementary school near the station, Stenwood, is being renovated, and is a decent school. That whole development called Mosaic which will be a mixed-used development (including Target!) will add a much-needed central anchor to the area. I'm hopeful that in a few years, this will be an even more desireable place to live

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM

5,081 posts, read 8,797,310 times
The Dunn Loring area is a bit amorphous. For example, the Dunn Loring Woods development actually is located in the 22180 zip code of Vienna. On the other hand, the area that is assigned a separate Dunn Loring zip code (22027) was substantially developed in the 1990s, with lots of fairly big houses on somewhat small lots. Most of the kids who live in that area go to Stenwood ES, which is a very "high-performing school" (with higher test scores and GreatSchools ratings than several other Vienna-area schools, including two schools in the Town of Vienna).

The "Mosaic" district area is close to Dunn Loring (and the Dunn Loring metro station), but has Fairfax and Falls Church mailing addresses. Even though it's quite close to Stenwood ES, a lot of the kids in that area (south of Route 66) attend Shrevewood ES in Falls Church or Fairhill ES in Fairfax, rather than Stenwood ES.

Last edited by JD984; 01-31-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,787,774 times
Sorry, didn't mean for anyone to describe that there's a post office, 7-11, fire house, etc. , I live in DL so I know what's here =)

I just meant, what's its designation? It is described as "Vienna-ish" in the phone book, for zip codes, but our address isn't Vienna and it just seems like it's really "the edge of Vienna," kind of thing.

Stenwood is, indeed, a wonderful school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia