U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,353,769 times
Default Is North Arlington the ONLY place where twenty-somethings live?

So here's my status. I'm fed up with DC in general, and swore not to move back to high-tax-low-return Maryland. And since my new job is now more centralized in the district, I can move anywhere in the area. Now I'm definitely looking to move (essentially back) to Virginia; maybe not to become a "Fairfaxian" again , but definitely within the commonwealth. The only thing is that the North Arlington neighborhoods of Rosslyn, Clarendon, and Ballston seem like the only places where there are people in their twenties. Not that I'm not willing to live in those neighborhoods, but the opportunity to meet other people seems limited due to a lack of pedestrian activity and apartments that seem to have people who only stay in their rooms. One can say places like Pentagon City, South Arlington, Crystal City and Alexandria, but they either seem to attract a crowd of more different people, or they're completely lifeless, especially at night.

Are there any other places where twenty-somethings tend to flock to in Northern VA? Am I wrong about the assumption of places like Alexandria, S. Arlington, and Pentagon/Crystal City? Is there even a place in Fairfax (specifically near the stations) where there are plenty of twenty-somethings? And is it easier than I assume to meet people in North Arlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,796,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Are there any other places where twenty-somethings tend to flock to in Northern VA?
Not ones with a college education. There are plenty of 20 somethings in the apartments along Route 1 for example but probably not the crowd you're looking for.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 17,220,060 times
Actually a number of 20-somethings (professionals as well as blue-collar folks) lived in the Landmark area of Alexandria when I lived there. They wanted cheaper rent but still proximity to fun stuff. Also Shirlington and Fairlington may be places to look.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM
TPL

128 posts, read 173,115 times
I was raised in Reston, and there are a ton of "Twenty somethings" here. Granted, most of us know each other, though, or know someone who knows another such person. I will admit that it is difficult to meet new folks here in comparison to places such as NY/NJ, where I had no difficulty in becoming cool with complete strangers, but as long as you get into the right environment it'll be alright.

FYI- I find that quite a few people around here are very cold, and standoffish. It's sort of hit-or-miss, but relative newcomers who weren't originally raised in my neighborhood with the rest of us for instance, are real jackwads when it comes to simply saying "Hi" on the path, or as you pass them on the sidewalk. This includes young people too, and I don't know what's up with it all. On the other hand, when I'm at the gym I run into a lot of people my age who are really down to Earth, and awesome. It's all about the environment.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM

7,722 posts, read 11,616,241 times
I was going to suggest Reston, particularly in or close to the Town Center area, but I should respect the experience of the native TPL on that matter.

Mature twenty-somethings that don't need the intensity of "Orange Line" Arlington or Adams Morgan (DC) will probably like Old Town well enough. I see a fair share hanging out.

I agree about South (Route 1) Alexandria. OTOH, if you can rent one of the low-rise condos in Belle Haven, you would be close enough to Old Town not to mention the popular exercise paths along the Potomac.

Pentagon City/Crystal City may work too, if only for the dining and retail gathering spots.

What about Falls Church? A decent downtown and proximity to North Arlington.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,380,924 times
FWIW, I've never met people just walking around where I lived around here (in Crystal City, Alexandria, or Springfield). I met people by getting involved in activities--volunteering, playing sports, meet up groups, etc. You really have to make an effort to find and meet people here.

And yes, 80% of my NoVA 20-something coworkers live in Arlington. The remainder are sprinkled around Falls Church or Alexandria. A few outliers live in various parts of Fairfax County, but generally because they're living with mom & dad. I'm definitely an odd ball to chose to live in Springfield at 24 (but I think being married and owning a dog gave me a different wants list when searching for housing)

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

26,225 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
I was raised in Reston, and there are a ton of "Twenty somethings" here. Granted, most of us know each other, though, or know someone who knows another such person. I will admit that it is difficult to meet new folks here in comparison to places such as NY/NJ, where I had no difficulty in becoming cool with complete strangers, but as long as you get into the right environment it'll be alright.

FYI- I find that quite a few people around here are very cold, and standoffish. It's sort of hit-or-miss, but relative newcomers who weren't originally raised in my neighborhood with the rest of us for instance, are real jackwads when it comes to simply saying "Hi" on the path, or as you pass them on the sidewalk. This includes young people too, and I don't know what's up with it all. On the other hand, when I'm at the gym I run into a lot of people my age who are really down to Earth, and awesome. It's all about the environment.
Yep. The "standoffishness" was my experience as an early-20-something who resided in Reston for a year-and-a-half. I was never successful in forming tight bonds with anyone. It's like everyone had a certain "limit" to how close they'd let you in, and then they'd throw up a barrier to shut you out. I've only lived here in Pittsburgh for two months, and I already have a partner and numerous close friends. I don't care how many people on this sub-forum claim Reston is "great" for 20-somethings because I know from my own personal experiences that Reston is better suited towards families. I was an avid runner who always had trouble with getting fellow Restonians to return my greetings and pleasantries when I'd work out. To me that says a lot about the friendliness (or lack thereof) of the people there.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,380,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I don't care how many people on this sub-forum claim Reston is "great" for 20-somethings because I know from my own personal experiences that Reston is better suited towards families.
Yeah, I would never live in Reston right now...too far from the social activities of downtown DC and/or the orange line corridor that are a draw to young 20's. Every time I have to go out there for work or grad school and grab food at the town center on a Friday night, it's teenage and toddler mayhem. Zillions of families, or 14 year olds on group dates, but not much to interest a 20-something.

Reston is very similar to Kingstowne, on many levels. If you go to dinner near the Kingstowne theaters in the evening, it's high schoolers all over the place.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,898,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Actually a number of 20-somethings (professionals as well as blue-collar folks) lived in the Landmark area of Alexandria when I lived there. They wanted cheaper rent but still proximity to fun stuff.
Second this. Not all twentysomethings make enough money for the Orange Line, and a lot don't want roommates either.

I barely know anyone up on the Orange Line anymore, but I do know a number of twentysomething professionals in West Alexandria, South Arlington, Huntington, and Kingstowne areas- even a few who moved to Woodbridge for cheap real estate.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who actually goes out in any of those areas. Everyone drives to Old Town or Clarendon if they're going to bars.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,898,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Reston is very similar to Kingstowne, on many levels. If you go to dinner near the Kingstowne theaters in the evening, it's high schoolers all over the place.
Very true. I would never hang out in Kingstowne on a Friday night even though I live closer to it than Old Town or Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia