Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times

Advertisements

(I just received this by email and thought I'd post this here for anyone interested)

Great news: A budget amendment is being introduced for FDK! Can you believe it?

Five board members worked together to draft the language (see below). Multiple members confirmed their support; however, the vote on this amendment will take place on this Thursday. And we need 7 votes: Persuading your Board Member this week will make all the difference in the world.

Our support is in the thousands – we absolutely can make FDK happen this year - our leaders must recognize our support truly is in the thousands! Did you know over 60 people presented at the Hearing, including 22 principals that stood with their president in support of FDK? The academic merits were made completely clear by this gesture. It took my breath away!

YOUR CONTRIBUTION this week is KEY:
Please send ONE more email and state: “Thank you for your tremendous service. I am counting on your support for Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) across Fairfax County on equity grounds. Thank you for hearing our voices and introducing a budget amendment in support of FDK. Our five year old Americans are relying on your vote. It is my expectation that the School Board and Board of Supervisors will demonstrate joint leadership and a firm commitment to education. Please honor this “basic right” so our youngest citizens may learn reading, writing, and math.”

PLEASE SEND TO the Board of Supervisors, School Board, and Superintendent as follows:
chairman@fairfaxcounty.gov; braddock@fairfaxcounty.gov; dranesville@fairfaxcounty.gov; hntrmill@fairfaxcounty.gov; leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov; mason@fairfaxcounty.gov; mtvernon@fairfaxcounty.gov; provdist@fairfaxcounty.gov; springfield@fairfaxcounty.gov; sully@fairfaxcounty.gov; Kathy.L.Smith@fcps.edu; Brad.Center@fcps.edu, elizabeth.bradsher@fcps.edu; sandy.evans@fcps.edu; stuart.gibson@fcps.edu; Martina.Hone@fcps.edu; ilryong.moon@fcps.edu; james.raney@fcps.edu; patty.reed@fcps.edu; daniel.storck@fcps.edu; jane.strauss@fcps.edu; Tessie.Wilson@fcps.edu; Jack.Dale@fcps.edu;
Please click “Like” on our Facebook page: Please do it today! Fairfax for Full Day Kindergarten - Non-Profit Organization | Facebook

Also, ensure that your spouses and friends have signed the petition. Equity in Education via Full Day Kindergarten (http://tinyurl.com/2elxba4 - broken link)

NOW is the time to send this one “reminder” email to our elected officials. The democratic system enables our voices to be heard; however, we must act! Engaging our Board of Supervisors (BOS) is paramount. Save the Date: March 29th for the BOS Hearing.

The language of the budget amendment is as follows: “I move to amend the main motion by (1) directing the Superintendent to develop a plan to complete the implementation of full-day kindergarten in all Fairfax County elementary schools, beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, and completing implementation no later than the 2013-2014 school year; and (2) directing the Superintendent to identify the funding source for the implementation plan in FY 2012 (without increasing the county transfer request) and to present the plan to implement full-day kindergarten in the remaining 37 schools to the Board no later than the scheduled May 2, 2011, Budget Work Session.” Pure and simple: This amendment is a result of democracy! You made it happen.

Find us: website, Facebook, on twitter and in the news!!

Budget Hearing Update
- Over 60 people presented on FDK including 22 principals that stood in support while their President spoke at the budget hearing on behalf of our five year olds.
- Nearly 200 supporters attended: Many thanks to our young supporters!
- Multiple organizations gave us formal endorsements.
- Board Member support continues to grow. We will need 7 votes.

OUR CHILDREN WERE ON TV AGAIN:

1. WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | Video
2. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...114515199.html

Stories:
1. Group Wants to Do Away with Half-Day Kindergarten - Reston, VA Patch
2. Ahead Of Budget Talks, Activists Push For Full-Day Kindergarten At Stratford - Fort Hunt, VA Patch
3. Fairfax Parents Group Pushes For Full Day Kindergarten | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
4. Groups push for all-day kindergarten programs
Please refer all press inquiries to Rebecca Geller via FairfaxFullDayKindergarten@gmail.com.

In the United States of America, dreams really do come true! As we grow, please remember a core value of this campaign is to always “take the high road”. Thank you for being a worthy voice for our five year old citizens. You made dreams come true tonight!

Best,
Shaista Keating
Fairfax for Full Day Kindergarten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Thanks for posting this hilsmon--this is the sort of thing where a networking site like city data can really shine.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 AM

caladium - exactly why I did it. I also posted it to another local parents board. I'm surprised the organizers have not yet posted on their Facebook site, but it WAS sent at 2:45 am, so maybe they will do it this morning.

Here is the Facebook site: Welcome to Facebook
There is a link to a petition as well on the Facebook page, but the link is long.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM

42 posts, read 101,986 times
I know many parents like full day Kindergarten for the day care aspect but there are many parents that like half day Kindergarten.

Personally - I am glad my children were in half day because they were able to do weekly activities (gymnastics, dance, ice skating) in the early afternoon that I wouldn't have time for when my older child gets home from school at 3:30.

Professionally - I was a Kindergarten teacher for an affluent school district in North Jersey 15 years ago. We did a thorough study to determine if we should switch from half day to full day. We decided not to. There isn't much more instructional time in the day due to lunch, recess, etc. Although I do agree some lower income students benefit from full day Kindergarten because they would probably be sitting in front of the tv anyway

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM

I wasn't looking for a debate. I'm just getting this information out there. If you feel strongly about this issue, write to the board. If not, ignore this post. You can believe whatever you want. The fact still remains that 75% of Fairfax County Schools receive full-day K while 25% do not, with both asked to cover the same curriculum. The daily schedules I saw at the schools in TX we were hoping to move into in a VERY affluent district had a jam-packed day of instruction in a full-day classroom.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM

42 posts, read 101,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I wasn't looking for a debate. I'm just getting this information out there. If you feel strongly about this issue, write to the board. If not, ignore this post. You can believe whatever you want. The fact still remains that 75% of Fairfax County Schools receive full-day K while 25% do not, with both asked to cover the same curriculum. The daily schedules I saw at the schools in TX we were hoping to move into in a VERY affluent district had a jam-packed day of instruction in a full-day classroom.
hilsmom-

Then don't debate it. I am entitled to comment on here if I wish.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketweave View Post
hilsmom-

Then don't debate it. I am entitled to comment on here if I wish.
sure you are. It's a free country. I just wanted to point out the purpose of this post was just to put out the information I received about a matter some people on this board may be interested in.

Not to mention, education in this country has changed in the past 15 years. So what you saw 15 years ago in an affluent area of NJ may no longer be true today.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times
Before any more debate happens on this thread. There is an education section that is designed for just this type of debate. I suggest the debate be taken there since its not specifically a Northern Virginia topic. You will get more viewpoints there as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM

full-day vs. half-day debate is an education topic.

Fairfax County Schools related posts are a Northern Virginia topic.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
hilsmom: Thank you for posting this. Of course, it is pertinent to Nortern Virginia. And even more relevant to me since my son will be starting KG this September.

Basketweave: You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this thread belongs to hilsmom. Please maintain the integrity of her post if she's made it clear she isn't looking to set up a debate here. If you want to debate this subject, please start your own thread in the Education forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia