U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketweave View Post
ghetto61 - Thank you for your excellent suggestion to bring this topic up on the Education forum. I haven't been on those forums yet and will have to make my way over there soon.

hilsmom - You are correct that education has changed a lot (for the good and bad) over the last 15 years!!!!!!

kutra11 - Thank you for informing me this thread belongs to hilsmom. I haven't been on this forum long and didn't realize threads belong to people. I simply stated my opinion. Hilsmom responded and then I responded to her. I then wrote nothing else for hours.....
Of course threads don't belong to anyone! I am sorry that you thought that! Please feel free to post as much as you want, on any forum thread!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I know many parents like full day Kindergarten for the day care aspect but there are many parents that like half day Kindergarten.

Personally - I am glad my children were in half day because they were able to do weekly activities (gymnastics, dance, ice skating) in the early afternoon that I wouldn't have time for when my older child gets home from school at 3:30.

Professionally - I was a Kindergarten teacher for an affluent school district in North Jersey 15 years ago. We did a thorough study to determine if we should switch from half day to full day. We decided not to. There isn't much more instructional time in the day due to lunch, recess, etc. Although I do agree some lower income students benefit from full day Kindergarten because they would probably be sitting in front of the tv anyway
I wish schools would offer all day kindergarten based on the needs of the children. Low income kids, who haven't had the benefit of many years of preschool, may well need all day kindergarten. I would have hated it for my kids and so would my kids! They simply didn't need it and I didn't want it. It would be nice if we had some choice in our schools. Why not some half day K programs and some all day programs, in each school? Why all or nothing?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
hilsmom: Thank you for posting this. Of course, it is pertinent to Nortern Virginia. And even more relevant to me since my son will be starting KG this September.

Basketweave: You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this thread belongs to hilsmom. Please maintain the integrity of her post if she's made it clear she isn't looking to set up a debate here. If you want to debate this subject, please start your own thread in the Education forum.
Wow. Really?! We can't discuss differing views on all day kindergarten on a thread about all day kindergarten? who knew?!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,647,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I think that was 21 schools that were supposed to get all day kindergarten in 2009. There are far more than just 21 schools without it. They were listen earlier in this thread. I really do not see how they can double the classroom space for kindergarten in 21 schools for only $12 million. Perhaps they intend to put all of those children in trailers?
There are 37. So not quite double. That estimate for 2009 was done in 2006. So figure, what, maybe $24 million? They wouldn't put kindergarten in trailers. I believe k requires rooms with bathrooms.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
all of this is school dependent, too. Some schools just need new teachers, some need renovations to accomodate. I saw something about $8 Million, but I don't know if that is for everyone or a select # of schools. I don't expect it to happen overnight - I really just want it to get back on the agenda so that we aren't stuck at this 25% with a different level of service nonsense for years on end.

They did start with the schools in the highest poverty areas (the Title I schools and the like). They then rolled out to more schools based on a need formula including poverty numbers, free and reduced lunch numbers and I think esol students. But there are schools with 8% free and reduced price lunch populations who have the full-day program already - the formula seems to be moot at this point.

I would love it if there was some way they could offer BOTH options in all schools, but I'm not sure how THAT would work either.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
There are 37. So not quite double. That estimate for 2009 was done in 2006. So figure, what, maybe $24 million? They wouldn't put kindergarten in trailers. I believe k requires rooms with bathrooms.
Two to four new room additions at each school, each with a bathroom, plus 2 to 4 new teachers, aides, administrators, would be far more than $24 million. There is NO way it can be done for under a million per school. Probably closer to $2-3 million per school. There won't be that kind of extra money in the transfer from the BOS.

Here's what will happen when they vote. There won't be enough for it to pass but the democrats who are running for office this year will vote for it so that they can use their vote when campaigning. They can tell parents that they supported all day kindergarten. What they won't tell parents is that it was all predetermined. The school board knows that there isn't extra money in the budget to do it, but they want to act like they support it. OR the school board will pass it, so that they can all campaign on the issue, knowing that the board of supervisors will never give them the additional funding that is needed. They can then blame the BOS for lack of all day kindergarten in those 37 schools.

It's all about playing politics, especially in election years. Bottom line, they won't have the money to expand all day kindergarten because the BOS will not raise taxes enough to expand it during an election year. No politician wants to raise taxes during an election year because it will cost him too many votes. Perhaps next year they will be more comfortable raising taxes because they won't have to run again for another three years.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Two to four new room additions at each school, each with a bathroom, plus 2 to 4 new teachers, aides, administrators, would be far more than $24 million. There is NO way it can be done for under a million per school. Probably closer to $2-3 million per school. There won't be that kind of extra money in the transfer from the BOS.
AP and IB testing fees have been deemed illegal by the attorney general, so those fees may now have to be refunded. That could also adversely affect the budget.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM

42 posts, read 89,397 times
From the Fairfaxtimes.com......

"We believe we can implement full-day [kindergarten] in all 37 schools without renovations with this caveat: You must accept trailers on the campus," Dale said.

I am sure the kindergarten classes won't be in the trailers. The older grades will be.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
From the Fairfaxtimes.com......

"We believe we can implement full-day [kindergarten] in all 37 schools without renovations with this caveat: You must accept trailers on the campus," Dale said.

I am sure the kindergarten classes won't be in the trailers. The older grades will be.

Here is the whole article:
All-day kindergarten proposal to cost $8.1M

Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
UPDATE 2/4 - This amendment passed the school board unanimously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or