U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,708,684 times

Advertisements

We all know Centreville ("downtown" in French) is Fairfax County's real downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 AM

4,856 posts, read 2,921,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Once again. Get over it. In your view a downtown is a place where night life is. By almost everyone else's opinion in the world (atleast those who are planners or city leaders or those who have ever been to a city) it is where commerce occurs.

WIKI

Downtown is a term primarily used in North America by English speakers to refer to a city's core (or center) or central business district (CBD), often in a geographical, commercial, or communal sense.

The term is thought to have been coined in New York City, where it was in use by the 1830s to refer to the original town at the southern tip of the island of Manhattan.[2] As the town of New York grew into a city, the only direction it could grow on the island was toward the north, proceeding upriver from the original settlement (the "up" and "down" terminology in turn came from the customary map design in which up was north and down was south).[2] Thus, anything north of the original town became known as "uptown" (Upper Manhattan), while the original town (which was also New York's only major center of business at the time) became known as "downtown" (Lower Manhattan).[2]

During the late 19th century, the term was gradually adopted by cities across the United States and Canada to refer to the historical core of the city (which was most often the same as the commercial heart of the city).[3] Notably, it was not included in dictionaries as late as the 1880s.[4] But by the early 1900s, downtown was clearly established as the proper term in American English for a city's central business district.[4]

Downtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are at best partially correct only, and at worst completely on your face wrong. I already concurred that ONE definition could be a places nightlife. However, as the biggest hub of business in Virginia outside of Norfolk and Richmond, Tysons IS in fact a commercial downtown in its own right (as much as either of those two places).

Now go ahead and put another troll remark. I will repeat as I said before, it's fairfax, no place has a good night life.
Tyson's isn't even the biggest hub of business in the region. That would go to a little place called Washington, DC where a small entity known as the United Stated Government operates out of with what some may consider a modest budget.

Also I was wondering LA has the LAPD, NY has the NYPD does Tyson's have the TPD?

And then why on earth does the Beltway not go around Tyson's? Is any part of Tyson's even inside the Beltway? Yesterday we had a problem with Metro and I noticed the center of Metro seemed to be in DC...which is odd? And to top it all off they are called the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Shouldn't it be called TMATA?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:02 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,658,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Tyson's isn't even the biggest hub of business in the region. That would go to a little place called Washington, DC where a small entity known as the United Stated Government operates out of with what some may consider a modest budget.

Also I was wondering LA has the LAPD, NY has the NYPD does Tyson's have the TPD?

And then why on earth does the Beltway not go around Tyson's? Is any part of Tyson's even inside the Beltway? Yesterday we had a problem with Metro and I noticed the center of Metro seemed to be in DC...which is odd? And to top it all off they are called the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Shouldn't it be called TMATA?
I have never once said Tysons is the downtown of the Washington Metro region. If you want to attribute other people (cough at GMU) to me, then pound sand because those people aren't me and I am capable of having my own opinions.

People work in DC who live in Baltimore. Therefore Baltimore can't have a downtown right? If you want to continue this idiotic debate, DM and stop trolling this thread about it, otherwise grow the hell up and recognize for the 5th time, that your definition of a downtown is not everyone's, and that no one on this thread or any other said Tysons is THE downtown. To others on this thread, sorry for the hijack of the thread, I promise I won't spend any more time responding to the trolls.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 AM

187 posts, read 288,364 times
I was at the Iris Lounge awhile back..not terrible.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,663,156 times
With all the development in the Merrifield area a bunch of restaurants have opened up that are good happy hour spots. Open Road and Blackfinn come to mind. I'm sure Tysons will have some new/trendy places opening up in the future with all the development. I like Gordon Biersh a lot although I don't like having to go to the mall to go there. In terms of nightlife no that probably won't ever happen. It's just not that kind of area and won't ever development into an Arlington-type of entertainment scene. But then again who knows. People may have said the same thing about Clarendon 25 years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
With all the development in the Merrifield area a bunch of restaurants have opened up that are good happy hour spots. Open Road and Blackfinn come to mind. I'm sure Tysons will have some new/trendy places opening up in the future with all the development. I like Gordon Biersh a lot although I don't like having to go to the mall to go there. In terms of nightlife no that probably won't ever happen. It's just not that kind of area and won't ever development into an Arlington-type of entertainment scene. But then again who knows. People may have said the same thing about Clarendon 25 years ago.
Can I park at Merrifield overnight?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,373,139 times
I think Tyson's has a pretty nice happy hour scene. If you're looking for a Miami-esque bar where people are super drunk and making out with each other you're not gonna find that but Tyson's definitely has some good happy hour spots.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,663,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Can I park at Merrifield overnight?
Do you typically park overnight when you go to happy hour? Yeah you could probably swing it if you really need to. Or maybe scale back the drinking a little

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
It's Fairfax. It's going to be a lame night life scene due to VA regulations. There might be a handful of bars in northern virginia that could be considered good nightlife. The rest fall in the spectrum of Irish Pub -> Sports Bar, and all of them are terrible due to the 50% rules that make them more of a restaurant than a bar.

If you want to see a lot of 20 and 30 somethings drinking after work hours, my statements remain accurate.

No, as others mentioned there is La Sandia, Gordon Biersch and even Coastal Flats that have more of a bar scene and offer full bar service vs. Shake Shack which is a burger joint with three beers on tap.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Do you typically park overnight when you go to happy hour? Yeah you could probably swing it if you really need to. Or maybe scale back the drinking a little
I do not usually do happy hour but would like to check out a few places up in Mozaic.

But if I have anything to drink I do not drive. It just is not worth it if I can cab it and pick up the car the next day.

A few years ago I was going to happy hours in DC and would metro and bus or cab it home. Here I would just drive there and pick up the car the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or