U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,915,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Then good for Fairfax--because if you really want more than a handful of people to live in an area beyond their 20s, you can't have bars open all night long. If you want to make mixed-use, transit-oriented development a viable option for those who have to (or want to) go to bed at a decent hour, you can't have it become like Clarendon and Ballston on the weekends, with armies of young drunk males listing about, hollering and hooting and looking for fights.

This is why the wife and I, when we retire, might move to someplace like Old Town but would never move to one of the above areas.
The vast majority of places I have been that were after hours or underground were in industrial or business areas where this was not a problem. Also I have never seen a fight or typical male posturing in these kinds of clubs.

I can understand not wishing to live around it but you have to understand that clubs and nights that do this kind of thing are usually self policing. If neighbors complain the police can and will take action because they have to. Nobody wants that.

This happens a lot less now and has been on the decline since Barry left office.

You can decide for yourself if it adds anything to the community. I think it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,705,445 times
According to the police blotter, Clarendon does have it's fair share of fights although I've never seen any myself. I'm a 24 yo millennial myself but I can't even stand the idiots in Clarendon on the weekend. I think I'm about 5 years more mature than most people my age.

I've been going to Court House a lot lately to avoid the idiots in Clarendon.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
According to the police blotter, Clarendon does have it's fair share of fights although I've never seen any myself. I'm a 24 yo millennial myself but I can't even stand the idiots in Clarendon on the weekend. I think I'm about 5 years more mature than most people my age.

I've been going to Court House a lot lately to avoid the idiots in Clarendon.
I am not speaking of Clarendon. There is no place in NOVA that has a legit club or anything like I am speaking about. That is a totally different scene. I have been out to both.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,656,384 times
There's a free beer, food truck palooza, and live music event happening at the Boro tonight. I know it's not a downtown, but we'll find a way to have fun anyways.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,705,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
There's a free beer, food truck palooza, and live music event happening at the Boro tonight. I know it's not a downtown, but we'll find a way to have fun anyways.
Do you have a link or something with more info? I'm kind of interested.

Also, they need to create some connection to the W&OD. It would be awesome to be able to bike to Tysons.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I never had a problem with Tyson's not being downtown. I just thought it was weird that you said it was NOVA's downtown out of the blue.

Then you posted a link to Wikipedia explaining what a downtown is.....which is like trying to explain why a joke is funny.

DC was, and is, this areas downtown because if you bothered to read the link you posted it uses the word regional over state, county or parish. I wonder how much of the office space in Tyson's is dependent on DC business? I think the whole area exists because of DC.

Even IAD and DCA describe themselves as part of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority serving the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area.

No matter how many angry PM's you send me or how many WIKI articles you cherry pick details from that will not change anything.

I was born in a small city with a small downtown. The city is called New York City, I was born in the Bronx. Where were you born?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Do you have a link or something with more info? I'm kind of interested.

Also, they need to create some connection to the W&OD. It would be awesome to be able to bike to Tysons.
Only link I got is from my own website about timing

Around The Corner | inTysons | News | Life | Tysons, VA

With regard to biking from W&OD, I know it doesn't help today but there is a trail spur planned, it's called the Vesper Trail which will connect to the trail along Old Courthouse Road and ultimately to W&OD. Last I checked they have plans for completion in 2016

Blog - Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB)

Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I never had a problem with Tyson's not being downtown. I just thought it was weird that you said it was NOVA's downtown out of the blue.

Then you posted a link to Wikipedia explaining what a downtown is.....which is like trying to explain why a joke is funny.

DC was, and is, this areas downtown because if you bothered to read the link you posted it uses the word regional over state, county or parish. I wonder how much of the office space in Tyson's is dependent on DC business? I think the whole area exists because of DC.
I never said it is the downtown and DC isn't. Find where I ever said DC is not the regions downtown. You are arguing against something I never even said. Tysons is however the downtown of business in Fairfax if you were to separate out Fairfax from the rest of the area, the same way that surrounding urban areas around a large metro region can have their own downtowns. Every planner on earth knows this. I don't give a damn what city you were born in, by the way I was also born in a very large city, that doesn't change the fact that every planner in the world recognizes that there can be satellite downtowns. If you were born in NYC (as if that gives you some extra insight into city planning) you should know that downtown isn't where you go out at night, it's where you go to work.

PS it was a damn joke, you seem to be really into labels.

How about I just say CBD instead. Would that make you feel better so you would stop annoying me? Tysons isn't a downtown guys. I'm so sorry I ever said it was. It's just a smelly old CBD. DC is the downtown of everywhere from here to Charleston, WVa and Richmond, VA. Watch out Baltimore, if you ever lose that Domino sugar processing factory, DC will come after your downtown too, then you'll be just another CBD too.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 05-14-2015 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I never said it is the downtown and DC isn't. Find where I ever said DC is not the regions downtown. You are arguing against something I never even said. Tysons is however the downtown of business in Fairfax if you were to separate out Fairfax from the rest of the area, the same way that surrounding urban areas around a large metro region can have their own downtowns. Every planner on earth knows this. I don't give a damn what city you were born in, by the way I was also born in a very large city, that doesn't change the fact that every planner in the world recognizes that there can be satellite downtowns. If you were born in NYC (as if that gives you some extra insight into city planning) you should know that downtown isn't where you go out at night, it's where you go to work.

How about I just say CBD instead. Would that make you feel better so you would stop annoying me? Tysons isn't a downtown guys. I'm so sorry I ever said it was. It's just a smelly old CBD. DC is the downtown of everywhere from here to Charleston, WVa and Richmond, VA.
First you were the one that mentioned something about anyone who had ever been to a real city they would know. I cannot find where. I think NYC qualifies as a city. YMMV.

But regardless Tyson's is not even Fairfax's downtown. There are several places that make a better claim to it. Tyson's is offices, malls and strip malls. I could live with it being called a commercial district because that describes what it is, a soulless expanse of concrete and steel where people go to work and some people live. Reston, Vienna, Downtown Fairfax all have more going for them other than being just office space.

I was just joking as well. But I am unsure of part of the joke that entails sending me angry PM's?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 AM

601 posts, read 441,635 times
Quote:

How about I just say CBD instead. Would that make you feel better so you would stop annoying me? Tysons isn't a downtown guys. I'm so sorry I ever said it was. It's just a smelly old CBD. DC is the downtown of everywhere from here to Charleston, WVa and Richmond, VA. Watch out Baltimore, if you ever lose that Domino sugar processing factory, DC will come after your downtown too, then you'll be just another CBD too.
Several times when I have had people from out of town and drive say, down 495, they will comment on the Tysons skyline, and say, ooh, what is this place. So, it stands out, and is beginning to stand out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or