U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,822 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Several times when I have had people from out of town and drive say, down 495, they will comment on the Tysons skyline, and say, ooh, what is this place. So, it stands out, and is beginning to stand out more.
I agree. You can certainly see it from 495 and even more so now. How wide is 495 and all of the adjacent lanes there anyway? 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
First you were the one that mentioned something about anyone who had ever been to a real city they would know. I cannot find where. I think NYC qualifies as a city. YMMV.

But regardless Tyson's is not even Fairfax's downtown. There are several places that make a better claim to it. Tyson's is offices, malls and strip malls. I could live with it being called a commercial district because that describes what it is, a soulless expanse of concrete and steel where people go to work and some people live. Reston, Vienna, Downtown Fairfax all have more going for them other than being just office space.

I was just joking as well. But I am unsure of part of the joke that entails sending me angry PM's?
There are other places in Fairfax with 106,000 jobs? Wow. I've only lived here for 30 years, so please do tell me more. Downtown NYC = Financial District, where the jobs are... or so I thought until you showed me the error of my way; thank you kind sage. Either way, I no longer think Tysons is a downtown. You win. It's a stupid smelly CBD that is just the worst place ever. Never go there. Never get a job there. Thank you.

@Watchmen. No you are wrong. Old Guard will tell you why because he's from NYC where Downtown is located at 34th and 5th ave. He'll show you a map of that also. All other maps of NYC which show downtown elsewhere, ignore, the people who drew those maps were sophomoric at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,822 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
There are other places in Fairfax with 106,000 jobs? Wow. I've only lived here for 30 years, so please do tell me more. Downtown NYC = Financial District, where the jobs are... or so I thought until you showed me the error of my way; thank you kind sage. Either way. I no longer think Tysons is a downtown. You win. It's a stupid smelly CBD that is just the worst place ever. Never go there. Never get a job there. Thank you.

@Watchmen. No you are wrong. Old Guard will tell you why because he's from NYC where Downtown is located at 34th and 5th ave. He'll show you a map of that also.
How many of those 106,000 jobs are reliant on proximity to DC?

You can post as many WIKI articles and stats as you want. You seem to have more of a clinical and classroom knowledge of life than a real world knowledge of life. There just are not many people who will currently describe Tyson's as downtown. That is the only fact that matters. And I asked you once where you would mean by downtown if you were sitting with your friends and said "Hey let's go downtown!". For NYC you have several places it could be depending on context like Greenwich Village or Wall Street or whatever. Using the term downtown is often predicated on context or clarification.

So when you say "Hey let's go downtown!" on a Sunday afternoon with friends where do you mean?

PS: It seems like you are not joking anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
How many of those 106,000 jobs are reliant on proximity to DC?

You can post as many WIKI articles and stats as you want. You seem to have more of a clinical and classroom knowledge of life than a real world knowledge of life. There just are not many people who will currently describe Tyson's as downtown. That is the only fact that matters. And I asked you once where you would mean by downtown if you were sitting with your friends and said "Hey let's go downtown!". For NYC you have several places it could be depending on context like Greenwich Village or Wall Street or whatever. Using the term downtown is often predicated on context or clarification.

So when you say "Hey let's go downtown!" on a Sunday afternoon with friends where do you mean?

PS: It seems like you are not joking anymore.
I don't say let's go downtown. I say lets go somewhere CBD. Afterall, Tysons is no where near as downtown'y as Greenwich Village,NYC which is universally known by New Yorkers to be downtown. Your statement doesn't have any contradictory elements to it at all, especially the part that you admit that one metro region can have multiple downtowns in common use and context. Your logic is impeccable, and if I could grasp it with my little non-NYC brain it comes down to two arguments:

Downtown DC is downtown, so everywhere else within a 100 mi radius can pound sand.

And even if Fairfax were to have a downtown, it can't have multiple contextual downtowns, because you say so. Downtown, when it comes to Fairfax, and only Fairfax, must be the place where people go to hang out. When referring to Fairfax by itself in discussion of whether it has a downtown, bringing up examples of financial downtowns like NYC's Downtown (financial District) is not allowed and forbodden; it must be only the Greenwich Village parallel that can be use when discussing Fairfax. The 1.2 million people of Fairfax must learn these rules immediately.

Got it. Thank you.

Moveon.org. I deem you champion of the internet and present you an honorary key to the non-city of Tysons. May your reign as champion be glorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM
 
601 posts, read 438,514 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I agree. You can certainly see it from 495 and even more so now. How wide is 495 and all of the adjacent lanes there anyway? 18?
Nope, it is 68 lanes. 34 going each way. I've never seen anything like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,643,706 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Nope, it is 68 lanes. 34 going each way. I've never seen anything like it.
It's spectacular, although clearly not enough. The only way to truly handle traffic flow around here are road improvements, I say widen to at least 40 lanes each way. Right TE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,822 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It's spectacular, although clearly not enough. The only way to truly handle traffic flow around here are road improvements, I say widen to at least 40 lanes each way. Right TE?
I heard that they were going to demolish Tysons to make room for 12 more lanes and a rest stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I heard that they were going to demolish Tysons to make room for 12 more lanes and a rest stop.
Whew. Good thing it's nothing but a CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,684,045 times
Reputation: 1550
Greenwich Village definitely isn't downtown NYC.

It's like the suburbanites who call anything in DC downtown when in reality it's really only like 50-75 blocks of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 12:39 PM
 
601 posts, read 438,514 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Greenwich Village definitely isn't downtown NYC.
But it's hip and trendy!!*

*I may be getting my data from the 1990s and earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top