U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
Reputation: 5923

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Greenwich Village definitely isn't downtown NYC.

It's like the suburbanites who call anything in DC downtown when in reality it's really only like 50-75 blocks of DC.
The farther you are from a place the more generic people usually are. If you are in DC saying downtown may be more precise than if you are in Winchester, VA where they may refer to everything as downtown.

When people ask me where I live if I am here I say Falls Church, if I am in Baltimore I say Northern VA or in VA Just outside of DC. If I am in Chicago I say DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The farther you are from a place the more generic people usually are. If you are in DC saying downtown may be more precise than if you are in Winchester, VA where they may refer to everything as downtown.

When people ask me where I live if I am here I say Falls Church, if I am in Baltimore I say Northern VA or in VA Just outside of DC. If I am in Chicago I say DC.
When people discuss subjective definitions of words do you ever run off to other forums in a hissy fit? Honest question. I'll hang up and take my answer offline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
Reputation: 5923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
When people discuss subjective definitions of words do you ever run off to other forums in a hissy fit? Honest question. I'll hang up and take my answer offline.
????

Look, you made a stupid statement, I had some fun with it, you got mad and I had some more fun with it and then you sent me some angry PM's which were also funny because the title made it sound like a threat.

I do not think now, nor have I ever, think that Tyson's is NOVA's downtown. To me it is ridiculous because NOVA's downtown is DC. No matter how many WIKI articles you post, no matter how many definitions you look up to reassure yourself. It is like women. You can read all the books you want, you can listen to all the daytime talk shows, you can watch The Notebook 1000 times. None of this translates to the real world and if you get frustrated by it not being able to get you woman telling them what they should think and what they should like is not going to work.

I think you are book smart. I would think an advocate for something would be much nicer and have a better sense of humor than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
????

Look, you made a stupid statement, I had some fun with it, you got mad and I had some more fun with it and then you sent me some angry PM's which were also funny because the title made it sound like a threat.

I do not think now, nor have I ever, think that Tyson's is NOVA's downtown. To me it is ridiculous because NOVA's downtown is DC. No matter how many WIKI articles you post, no matter how many definitions you look up to reassure yourself. It is like women. You can read all the books you want, you can listen to all the daytime talk shows, you can watch The Notebook 1000 times. None of this translates to the real world and if you get frustrated by it not being able to get you woman telling them what they should think and what they should like is not going to work.

I think you are book smart. I would think an advocate for something would be much nicer and have a better sense of humor than you.
<--- married and not an advocate; which is why I provide both sides of Tysons but thanks so much for that amazing life advice.

I don't ever feel the need to be nice to people who are obtuse and stubborn. I don't mean stubborn on your opinion, but rather stubborn on the fact that it is only that, an opinion. Your subjective definition is yours. I have the decency of always putting the caveat of subjectivity and opinion stating that there are other opinions that differ, and I like other opinions that can be debated. You think your definition is the one and only, you refuse to acknowledge your own logic is flawed in that you say DC is the only downtown, then you go on to say in NYC it was dependent on context in the Financial District vs Greenwich debate. So why the two different conflicting definitive statements? Can you not admit that there can be other definitions than your own or are you the sole arbitrator in all matters of language from now on?

For the final time

DC is the downtown of this area, within DC specifically the downtown area is downtown. No one in Petworth (in DC) would say they are in Downtown. However, if one were to look at Fairfax as it's own economic element, anyone within their right mind would state that Tysons is the commercial downtown of that area. One could argue other areas of Fairfax are the historic downtown, or the nightlife downtown, but in terms of commercial? It's not even close and is obviously Tysons with regard to Fairfax.

And yes, a commercial downtown can be dependent on business from elsewhere. And no, I never said Tysons would exist if the federal government weren't located 20 miles away. Then again, DC wouldn't have any economy either if the federal government wasn't 20 miles away so it's a bit of a flat hypothetical anyways. Washington is 20 miles away, it does make DC the largest commercial center of the region, followed by the hub commercial business districts (or downtowns because it's less of a mouthful than saying commercial business district) of Arlington/Tysons/Reston/Alexandria.

As for all the other blathering you made about the Notebook, which I've never seen, or daytime talk shows, that I deplore, my only recommendation would be to lay off the crack.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 05-15-2015 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
Reputation: 5923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
<--- married and not an advocate; which is why I provide both sides of Tysons but that's so much for that amazing life advice.

I don't ever feel the need to be nice to people who are obtuse and stubborn. Your subjective definition is yours. I have the decency of always putting the caveat of subjectivity and opinion stating that there are other opinions that differ, and I like other opinions that can be debated. You think your definition is the one and only, you refuse to acknowledge your own logic is flawed in that you say DC is the only downtown, then you go on to say in NYC it was dependent on context in the Financial District vs Greenwich debate. So why the two different conflicting definitive statements? Can you not admit that there can be other definitions than your own or are you the sole arbitrator in all matters of language from now on?

I think you are an internet smart guy. I would think someone who has clearly done this before would be much better at trolling and have much better troll material than you.

For the final time

DC is the downtown of this area, within DC specifically the downtown area is downtown. No one in Petworth (in DC) would say they are in Downtown. However, if one were to look at Fairfax as it's own economic element, anyone within their right mind would state that Tysons is the commercial downtown of that area. One could argue other areas of Fairfax are the historic downtown, or the nightlife downtown, but in terms of commercial? It's not even close and is obviously Tysons with regard to Fairfax.

And yes, a commercial downtown can be dependent on business from elsewhere. And no, I never said Tysons would exist if the federal government weren't located 20 miles away. Then again, DC wouldn't have any economy either if the federal government wasn't 20 miles away so it's a bit of a flat hypothetical anyways. Washington is 20 miles away, it does make DC the largest commercial center of the region, followed by the hub commercial business districts (or downtowns because it's less of a mouthful than saying commercial business district) of Arlington/Tysons/Reston/Alexandria.

As for all the other blathering you made about the Notebook, which I've never seen, or daytime talk shows, that I deplore, my only recommendation would be to lay off the crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
Reputation: 1495
^ This pretty much sums up what you are actually here for; loses debate, resorts to childishness because he can't respond to the obvious contradictions in his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
Reputation: 5923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
^ This pretty much sums up what you are actually here for; loses debate, resorts to childishness because he can't respond to the obvious contradictions in his opinion.
I am actually not here to debate. I do not see how I lost anything because I do not know anyone who considers Tyson's a downtown anything. I even asked you a couple of times about how if you were sitting with your friends and said "Hey let's go downtown" where you would mean. I am legitimately curious.

Never get an answer to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am actually not here to debate. I do not see how I lost anything because I do not know anyone who considers Tyson's a downtown anything. I even asked you a couple of times about how if you were sitting with your friends and said "Hey let's go downtown" where you would mean. I am legitimately curious.

Never get an answer to that.
And I've already said, Tysons isn't a nightlife downtown. What part of that do you not get. If I am hanging out with friends I don't say "Hey let's go downtown" because I'm not a 20 something kid. If I want to go out with friends we go somewhere specific, not bar crawling. And if I am going out, I don't go out in Tysons very often because as I have said about 100 times now Tysons is where jobs are, not nightlife. Something that can change (see H Street for instance in DC which was dead 10 years ago and now is a "hot spot" or Columbia Heights for that matter).

And yet everytime I ask you how come NYC's downtown is universally noted as being Financial District, where all the NYC jobs are, you never respond. You go on and on about downtown being greenwich village of all places or midtown (which is not downtown... that whole mid-part keys you to that point).

Is that answer enough to you? Or should I say it again?

Tysons has very little night life, Tysons has very little night life, Tysons has very little night life. Tysons has lots of jobs. Tysons has lots of jobs. Tysons has lots of jobs. The reason I don't respond is because your little strawman hypothetical is already something I have stated in this thread over and over but your not getting it evidently. Tysons has very little night life. It's not a night life downtown; just like FiDi is not a night life downtown, just like downtown DC is not a night life downtown.

I heard when teaching a child it's best to do everything three times, hopefully this has helped you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
Reputation: 5923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
And I've already said, Tysons isn't a nightlife downtown. What part of that do you not get. If I am hanging out with friends I don't say "Hey let's go downtown" because I'm not a 20 something kid. If I want to go out with friends we go somewhere specific, not bar crawling. And if I am going out, I don't go out in Tysons very often because as I have said about 100 times now Tysons is where jobs are, not nightlife. Something that can change (see H Street for instance in DC which was dead 10 years ago and now is a "hot spot" or Columbia Heights for that matter).

And yet everytime I ask you how come NYC's downtown is universally noted as being Financial District, where all the NYC jobs are, you never respond. You go on and on about downtown being greenwich village of all places or midtown (which is not downtown... that whole mid-part keys you to that point).

Is that answer enough to you? Or should I say it again?

Tysons has very little night life, Tysons has very little night life, Tysons has very little night life. Tysons has lots of jobs. Tysons has lots of jobs. Tysons has lots of jobs. The reason I don't respond is because your little strawman hypothetical is already something I have stated in this thread over and over but your not getting it evidently. Tysons has very little night life. It's not a night life downtown; just like FiDi is not a night life downtown, just like downtown DC is not a night life downtown.

I heard when teaching a child it's best to do everything three times, hopefully this has helped you.
People can go downtown to catch a movie or for brunch or to shop, etc... Not just nightlife.

So if you never use the term downtown in regards to Tyson's is it even a downtown to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
People can go downtown to catch a movie or for brunch or to shop, etc... Not just nightlife.

So if you never use the term downtown in regards to Tyson's is it even a downtown to you?
No, no one ever shops in Tysons or watches a movie. Do you know a lot of people that go to shop or get brunch in the financial district in NYC? Do you ever get the urge to shop on Constitution Avenue in DC? By brunch do you mean one of those push cart pretzels?

I do use the term downtown with regard to Tysons, when someone says what is the commercial or business downtown of Fairfax. For the 501st time, a downtown is not just the place where people shop or whatever you think a downtown is, it is subjective and contextual. If anything most downtowns that are actually considered the downtowns of their respective cities are the exact OPPOSITE of what you are saying. They are the exact copy of what I am saying. It is where business happens, not where hipsters in retro tank tops go to grab a waffle-donut or whatever the hell is trendy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top