Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM

318 posts, read 366,460 times

Advertisements

Iris is the closest thing. Would love a 24 hour rave club but virginia laws are too strict compared to md and dc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,303,029 times
Wow, old thread revival.

Since this thread started there are a couple new bar spots, namely Babalu if you like dancing, but there is also Barrel & Bushel and Shake Shack (both have a significant happy hour presence), and Paddy Barrys. I don't think any of them are legitimate night time hot spots, but it is Virginia where food has to be 50% of sales, so don't expect any new bars anywhere that are like things in DC, for better or worse. In terms of good places to drink with atmosphere, I think Barrel & Bushel is leading the pack now (despite it's horrendously pandering name).

Old 05-12-2015, 06:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,510,997 times
Jammin Java is probably the most happening place in Vienna. I've only been there for a performance though so I don't know what it's usually like.

Tysons best happy hours are probably in the mall at Gordon & Biersch and La Sandia. I love coastal flats but I don't think they have great drink prices. Clyde's would be another good spot but I don't think their prices are great either. I've heard good things about Barrel & Bushel but haven't been able to try it yet.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,463,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Wow, old thread revival.

Since this thread started there are a couple new bar spots, namely Babalu if you like dancing, but there is also Barrel & Bushel and Shake Shack (both have a significant happy hour presence), and Paddy Barrys. I don't think any of them are legitimate night time hot spots, but it is Virginia where food has to be 50% of sales, so don't expect any new bars anywhere that are like things in DC, for better or worse. In terms of good places to drink with atmosphere, I think Barrel & Bushel is leading the pack now (despite it's horrendously pandering name).
I expected a much better nightlife from our downtown.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,349,796 times
LOLL @ Shake Shack being considering a nightlife spot

Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,204,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You're really milking this, aren't you?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Great one. You are a genius. Downtown always = night life. That's why the Financial District in Manhattan is world renowned for it's party scene that is just like Ibiza in NY. Get over it. Whether you want to call Tysons a downtown or not is meaningless, it is one. Its not THE one, but it is one. Now go troll somewhere else.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
LOLL @ Shake Shack being considering a nightlife spot
It's Fairfax. It's going to be a lame night life scene due to VA regulations. There might be a handful of bars in northern virginia that could be considered good nightlife. The rest fall in the spectrum of Irish Pub -> Sports Bar, and all of them are terrible due to the 50% rules that make them more of a restaurant than a bar.

If you want to see a lot of 20 and 30 somethings drinking after work hours, my statements remain accurate.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,463,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You're really milking this, aren't you?
OH yeah. Sorry everyone.

I finally did get my answer though as to where tyson'sengineer thinks downtown Tyson's is:

The corner of Babalu and Shake Shack.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
OH yeah. Sorry everyone.

I finally did get my answer though as to where tyson'sengineer thinks downtown Tyson's is:

The corner of Babalu and Shake Shack.
Once again. Get over it. In your view a downtown is a place where night life is. By almost everyone else's opinion in the world (atleast those who are planners or city leaders or those who have ever been to a city) it is where commerce occurs.

WIKI

Downtown is a term primarily used in North America by English speakers to refer to a city's core (or center) or central business district (CBD), often in a geographical, commercial, or communal sense.

The term is thought to have been coined in New York City, where it was in use by the 1830s to refer to the original town at the southern tip of the island of Manhattan.[2] As the town of New York grew into a city, the only direction it could grow on the island was toward the north, proceeding upriver from the original settlement (the "up" and "down" terminology in turn came from the customary map design in which up was north and down was south).[2] Thus, anything north of the original town became known as "uptown" (Upper Manhattan), while the original town (which was also New York's only major center of business at the time) became known as "downtown" (Lower Manhattan).[2]

During the late 19th century, the term was gradually adopted by cities across the United States and Canada to refer to the historical core of the city (which was most often the same as the commercial heart of the city).[3] Notably, it was not included in dictionaries as late as the 1880s.[4] But by the early 1900s, downtown was clearly established as the proper term in American English for a city's central business district.[4]

Downtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are at best partially correct only, and at worst completely on your face wrong. I already concurred that ONE definition could be a places nightlife. However, as the biggest hub of business in Virginia outside of Norfolk and Richmond, Tysons IS in fact a commercial downtown in its own right (as much as either of those two places).

Now go ahead and put another troll remark. I will repeat as I said before, it's fairfax, no place has a good night life.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 05-12-2015 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia