U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
TPL TPL started this thread

136 posts, read 294,286 times

Advertisements

This especially goes out to my fellow Restonians, or anyone else who uses the North Point Village Center in Reston, VA: What is up with the shops that are being kicked out?

First we lost the learning center about six months ago, which multiple neighbors of mine had used for their children throughout the years.

Then, the UPS center vacated, which many of us made good use of.

Soon thereafter, "Just Pets" lost their bid for the newly raised lease, and a FOURTH beauty salon moved in as a result! We all used to buy pet supplies up there, and I got a dog from the place four years ago, as well as gerbils and hamsters throughout the years, and it was a great neighborhood store.

NOW, I can't believe this, but Blockbuster was just kicked to the curb because the shopping center management jacked their lease waaaaay up! I mean, for real, Blockbuster? The one at North Point was always busy, and it drew crowds of people from Reston, Herndon, Great Falls, Vienna, etc. My family and I personally know the employees there, and over the years I knew classmates who worked there, friends, and even friends' parents. I used to always walk up there to checkout movies, or drop them in the box, and I'd always stop and talk to the folks who worked there. I feel really bad for the manager, because he's been there for as long as I can recall, and it means a lot to him.

I remember when that shopping center was nothing but woods, and Blockbuster has been there from the very beginning. That store has always been one of the staples of the village center, in much the same way that the pet store was as well. People flocked to these venues, and now I have a feeling that it's going to turn into a ghost town (Slowly, but surely).

Also, the old UPS store is still vacant, and so is the learning center. Before, whenever a store changed hands, there was always a buyer who bought it beforehand, and it would quickly be re-opened as a new business. Now, however, the stupid management has really screwed the pooch, and they started jacking up the rents during a recession. WHY?

Do you think that the developers are doing this, because of Hudgins' current plans for Reston? Just recently (Within the past year), our county rep. Cathy Hudgins has been pushing an idea to completely scrap our village centers, and re-do them as high rise apartment centers with shops on the ground level, similar to RTC (Eventually, it'll look like Arlington if they have their way (No offense to Arlington residents)). Could they intentionally be driving the rent sky high so they can slowly but surely vacate the center ahead of their planned high rise transformation? I'd like to hear your opinions, because as a lifelong Reston resident, I'm honestly becoming concerned about the direction of this place right now. Worst of all, seeing good, cherished, well used local businesses being driven out by a single corporate management entity, during a RECESSION no less, is of concern to us all. I have firsthand witnessed how ego and greed can ruin a good community (eg, Petersburg, VA), and I don't want to see this happen to the only community I've ever really called home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,483,692 times
Why would the landlord agree to such a scheme? Why would landlords "drive out" paying business? Doesn't make a bit of sense for them to scheme to lose money month after month. Why would they? They don't usually like losing money with a bunch of empty, unrented, space. Perhaps Cathy and Gerry have talked someone into buying the land so the stores are being vacated because the landlord is selling off the land. That's the most likely scenario. When it comes to Reston, Cathy Hudgins and Gerry Connelly ALWAYS get what they want.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,977,816 times
I have no idea - it really is bizarre. I mean, really, FOUR hair salons? WHY? Something odd is going on over there. We really miss the pet store AND the mail place (my daughter keeps asking about the gigantic dog that one of the employees used to bring with him). I hope you are not correct, because that pretty much would kill the feel of Reston as a whole.

But when we answer this one, then maybe someone can tell me why the KMart Center in Herndon had to kick out Gold's Gym and NOT fill that space for 2.5 years?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,180,224 times
So where do the 'don't change Reston' types envision the additional folks coming to our region going? Frederick/Warren/Fauquier/Stafford? I'm sure Reston was complained about when it was built originally.

Gold's Gym is closing in Leesburg (or has already). Dunno if they are restructuring on their end, and I don't know how long it takes to fill in that space/revamp it for other uses.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,977,816 times
no, I was a member there and they desperately wanted to stay. They were kicked out by the landlord who refused to reach a deal on rent. When they figured out they couldn't, they immediately started searching for another location in the area. I almost wonder if they threw their resources towards the massive new one in Sterling?

But now the space sits empty - it makes NO sense.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 28,920,188 times
Something's been planned for the land, most likely. The way I understood it, those strip malls in Reston were temporary structures from the beginning, mostly placeholders until the landowners decided what they really wanted to do with the property.

My guess would be a high rise residential unit on top of stores that can afford to pay high rents. The mom and pops will move to Herndon, and Blockbuster can breathe a sigh of relief because the era of large video stores is coming to an end.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
So where do the 'don't change Reston' types envision the additional folks coming to our region going? Frederick/Warren/Fauquier/Stafford? I'm sure Reston was complained about when it was built originally.
LOL, you are so right! People ALWAYS find a reason to complain when something new is built, or when something changes, or when nothing changes.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,313,752 times
Its simple: metro's coming to Reston. The times they are a changin'.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM

891 posts, read 1,236,189 times
What makes it even stranger is that of the five village centers in Reston, I thought North Point was doing the best. It has always seemed pretty vibrant to me. Tall Oaks and Lake Anne seem to be on life support, while South Lakes and Hunter Woods are holding their own in terms of leased space and economic viability. There is of course a certain amount of turnover in any shopping center.

I suppose if Reston is going to grow, better that the village centers be redeveloped than already-existing and healthy residential neighborhoods. But if this is related to the coming of Metro's Silver Line, keep in mind that not a single one of these five village centers is anywhere close enough to a future Metro station to qualify as transit-oriented development. The existing road capacity in Reston is already past capacity at peak times, so I'm not sure how bringing tens of thousands more residents here in coming years with no significant improvement in infrastructure is going to improve anyone's quality of life.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
What makes it even stranger is that of the five village centers in Reston, I thought North Point was doing the best.
Exactly why they'd want to build something bigger there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia