U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,520,293 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of selling my home and I am doing my homework looking into new places to move to (buy). The place at the top of my list so far (for schools and location to my job) is Burke. Specifically I like the townhomes in Burke Centre as a place for me and my elementary school-aged daughter to live. It's just the two of us, I work full time, and she will be going to public school.

I am trying to find out two things:

1) Would you recommend Burke Centre and why (or why not)?
2) Who was the builder who built the homes there?

I am open to any information about Burke and Burke Centre in general and look forward to your comments, suggestions, and opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 19,941 times
Jillabean-

I currently live in Burke Centre and I love it here. It's clean, affordable, and overall its a safe neighborhood. I dont have any children but I do live here with my wife, so I picked Burke due to its location and relatively low prices. I can't tell you the builder, but the homes do seem to be a little dated. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.....

kmurdoc1

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM

15 posts, read 30,984 times
My family is currently renting a town home in Burke Center. There are a lot of nice points about this area. For the NoVA area, I think Burke Centre has a nice sense of community. We also really enjoyed the pools.... there are 5 in Burke Centre that you can join for the summer. I can't remember exactly how much the fee was, but I want to say around $100 for our family of four. Our children go to Fairview and we are really happy with the education they are getting. I alaso find this to be a really convenient location. You can be in Fairfax (mall, BJs, Costco, pretty much any shopping you can imagine) in 15 minutes. Dulles is 25 minutes away. Not sure who the builder is... ours seems to be pretty well built, though as the PP said, dated. HTH. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM

42 posts, read 89,314 times
I live in Fairfax Station but spend a lot of time in Burke Centre (food shopping, pools, dry cleaner, etc.) I like it. My children attend Fairview and I am happy with it. Robinson is a good school and although the middle school and high school are combined everyone I speak with is happy with the "separation" between the older and younger students. There isn't much traffic in this area. Lots of nearby shopping (Target, Kohls, Petco) and other amenities like South Run Rec Center and the Burke Centre library. I am very happy living in this area of Fairfax County.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,419 times
Yes, I recommend Burke Centre. It was all developed at relatively the same time which explains why it looks bit dated but on the positive side it is why we have well-designed roads, shopping centers, parking lots, etc. As a "planned" development, you don't get funky service roads, unusual intersections, ugly signs or other things you see elsewhere in the county. Another plus is that we are close to the Beltway at Braddock Rd or Old Keene Mill Rd as well as the Springfield metro.

You asked who the builder was. It depends on which "cluster" of homes. My townhouse was built by Berry. You might want to read through the HOA web site ([url=http://www.burkecentreweb.com/outside_home.asp]The Burke Centre Conservancy - Home Page[/url]), if you haven't already, to learn about the five big neighborhoods as well as the clusters within them.

Good luck with your house search!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,520,293 times
Thanks everyone!

I am not too concerned about the stuff I can change (a dated house, for example, I can fix up). But thanks for the heads up on that since it's good to know. I am mainly interested in the safety and sense of community. I was hoping to find out the builder so I can google floor plans of houses that come on the market. I hate to drag my Realtor all the way out there only to find out the house has a floor plan that won't work. Don't laugh, but a must for me is a firewall between townhomes too (for fire safety and noise control).

Thanks for the HOA website, I got a wealth of information from it!

How is the traffic in the area? Do people drive like maniacs? I know you always get that one or two that feel the need for speed, but overall is it good? What about the train? One of the reasons I like the area is the VRE/Amtrak station. But I am worried I might hear trains all day and night.

Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM

RE: traffic - the main road through Burke Centre is Burke Centre Parkway. The speed limit is 40. There are often police officers with radar. People don't go over 45 so speeding and manaics aren't an issue. Other roads - Old Keene Mill and Ox (123) - lots of lights so again people generally don't speed. There are also 4 way stops and speed bumps on some of the residential streets which also cuts down on speeding.

RE: train - I live relatively close to the train in Fairfax Station and never hear it unless outside and even then it is a low rumble. I have spent a lot of hours at Fairview Elementary and can't say I have ever heard it. Same for the stores (Safeway) that it runs behind.

As a side suggestion - you might want to consider a real estate agent more familiar with Burke Centre.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM

As a side suggestion - you might want to consider a real estate agent more familiar with Burke Centre.[/quote]

Please let me take this comment back I just recalled you said you were selling a house in Centreville so you probably have a good relationship with that agent and feel comfortable with them.

Also - I do hope you get comments from others living in Burke Centre regarding train noise inside houses near the tracks. My experience in a school or stores isn't the same as inside a house.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 16,194 times
We are currently renting in Burke Centre (for the last 2 years) and we love it. As the other posters said, it is very convenient to shopping, major roads, and activities for the kids. We live close to the train, but I honestly rarely notice the noise. The train runs so infrequently that you will rarely hear it. The neighborhood is very safe and family-orientated.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM

100 posts, read 187,456 times
I'm interested in Burke Centre as well, so I'm glad to see this thread. Also concerned about train noise, particularly early in the morning (I know VRE doesn't run at night), so it's good to see that residents who live nearby don't think it's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia