U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
When I was asked about my "race" I said American. The girl looked at me funny and repeated the choices. I told her I'd stick with my first answer...
Good for you! The next time we have a census I think I'll do that too.

This is sort of a crazy thought, but I wonder if explanation is that the recession is making more young people these days choose Latino if they have any reason to put themselves in that group. It can be handy to call yourself Latino if you want to qualify for scholarships and financial aid packages.

Or, maybe the increase is the result of more Latino babies being born. I don't tend to notice babies, so if there's been a lot born lately that might explain why there's an increase even though it feels like there are less Hispanics around these days. I have to admit I'm surprised. Not that I've been paying much attention to it, but I would have guessed that the Hispanic population was decreasing lately. I don't know why, it just seems like you don't see as many (assuming, of course, that you would know just by looking at a person.) But I guess I'm wrong. Like I said I haven't been paying much attention.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,108,694 times
about races: white is a race, such is black, native american and asian

hispanic is an origin or etnicity

Old 02-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
about races: white is a race, such is black, native american and asian

hispanic is an origin or etnicity
Good point.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
When I was asked about my "race" I said American. The girl looked at me funny and repeated the choices. I told her I'd stick with my first answer...
That's a nationality.
What you wanted to say was "human." That's my answer.

=)

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,061,058 times
Cool link associated with the article.

Census 2010: Northern Virginia fuels state's growth | The Washington Post

I think its pretty neat. I see that own area in south Arlington seems to be the only part of Arlington that experienced a decrease in population. Ironically enough my neighborhood also had a 35% decrease in black population.

Meanwhile my old neighborhood in Oakton had an overall increase in population, along with an 11% increase in black population. I don't think there's a lot of new construction in that section of Oakton (its just condos, townhouses, and apartments built in the 80's and early 90s from my understanding). I think there are a few infill new townhouses though. I think they've been converted to condos. Condos are more likely to have families versus apartments so perhaps that accounts for the population increase. Also more black middle class families are comfortable living in whatever neighborhood they want versus feeling like they have to live in Maryland or the District? I'm kinda making up the reason for the change in population when there wasn't a lot of new construction (that I know of).

As far as my own neighborhood, I think it has to do with actually fewer families with children moving into the neighborhood. Arlington is becoming less family oriented and more single oriented despite folks like myself having roommates. At the time of the census there were 4 adults living in that house. I just moved across the street and now its 2 adults and a child. So there are still children but I'm guessing there are fewer children. Since there was an overall 5.5% decrease. As far as the black population decreasing, I think that has to do with more black folks moving out to further suburbs like Woodbridge or Manasass and being replaced by whites (who don't have children) who have been priced out of north Arlington. This along with Hispanics who are also being priced out of other parts of Arlington.

I like the block by block feature. Good job Washington Post. Def recommend checking out to see how your neighborhood has changed demographically.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post

I think its pretty neat. I see that own area in south Arlington seems to be the only part of Arlington that experienced a decrease in population. Ironically enough my neighborhood also had a 35% decrease in black population.

Meanwhile my old neighborhood in Oakton had an overall increase in population, along with an 11% increase in black population. I don't think there's a lot of new construction in that section of Oakton (its just condos, townhouses, and apartments built in the 80's and early 90s from my understanding). I think there are a few infill new townhouses though. I think they've been converted to condos. Condos are more likely to have families versus apartments so perhaps that accounts for the population increase. Also more black middle class families are comfortable living in whatever neighborhood they want versus feeling like they have to live in Maryland or the District? I'm kinda making up the reason for the change in population when there wasn't a lot of new construction (that I know of).

As far as my own neighborhood, I think it has to do with actually fewer families with children moving into the neighborhood. Arlington is becoming less family oriented and more single oriented despite folks like myself having roommates. At the time of the census there were 4 adults living in that house. I just moved across the street and now its 2 adults and a child. So there are still children but I'm guessing there are fewer children. Since there was an overall 5.5% decrease. As far as the black population decreasing, I think that has to do with more black folks moving out to further suburbs like Woodbridge or Manasass and being replaced by whites (who don't have children) who have been priced out of north Arlington. This along with Hispanics who are also being priced out of other parts of Arlington.

I like the block by block feature. Good job Washington Post. Def recommend checking out to see how your neighborhood has changed demographically.
The block feature is cool. It appears that there are four people who live at the CIA, and they are all White. Now there's a surprise.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,198 times
Since when are Asians considered an official minority group??

Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post

Brambleton didn't exist in 2000; the stats for my "block" are:

Total percent change from 2000: 8171.7%
Total population in 2010: 1,591

Percent change by race:
Asian: 100000%
Hispanic: 70398.4%
Black: 15610.9%
White: 5570.2%

Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,061,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Brambleton didn't exist in 2000; the stats for my "block" are:

Total percent change from 2000: 8171.7%
Total population in 2010: 1,591

Percent change by race:
Asian: 100000%
Hispanic: 70398.4%
Black: 15610.9%
White: 5570.2%
Wow! I guess there was just a big farm where Brambleton now stands.

My block stats are:

Total percent change from 2000: -5.5%
Total population in 2010: 1,358
Percent change by race:
Asian: 26.5%
Hispanic: 27.8%
Black: -35.4%
White: 76.3%

Interesting considering that Nauck was once all black.

Now its:
Black 40.3%
Hispanic 33.9%
White 18%
Asian 4.6%

Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Another factor is how many people responded to the cnesus in 2000 vs. how many responded in 2010. They made a point of trying to include more people this time around, so that might end up making it look like there was more of an increase in some groups than there actually was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia