Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times

Advertisements

I wonder how that count households of more than one race? - my house has 2 different races in it

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
All industrialized countries have some sort of census so its not like the US is doing this silly wasteful thing.

As far as race and how it relates to NoVA? Well I'm sorry but we haven't arrived to the day when race doesn't matter.
I agree with terrence on both accounts. I've been counted in both Japan and Korea for their census. This last year in Japan, and ten years ago in Korea. Actually all ESL teachers throughout the world talk about it. Last year I was talking about with a Canadian guy who is living in Mexico, and how the census bureau of Mexico was chasing him down, just as much as the Japan one was with me. We were also comparing the questions asked. I get the impression that almost all countries have a census. I've even seen nomadic African tribes who move frequently across borders being counted in their respective demographic data for their country.

I also agree with 'race'. If I saw everyone intermarrying with everyone else, than I'd go with the NoVA concensus that race doesn't matter. But as it is, generally speaking, people marrying and staying within their own race is far far more prevalant than some massive 'mixing' of all the races into one. When it comes to the point of not knowing who is who, and no one has any racial identity whatsoever, than I'd say that race doesn't matter. We are nowhere near that level.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-08-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Well I'm sorry but we haven't arrived to the day when race doesn't matter.
Apparently the powers that be agree with this. Which is, of course, the bottom line. No matter how foolish I think it all is I don't have any control over what the government decides is worth knowing. Nothing I can do except make a few eyeball rolls write a grumpy city-data post or two and then move on to the next issue. Oh, and from now on when someone asks me what race I am, the answer is "human." It's my little way of rebelling, LOL. Not that it will change anything but but I'm through with answering stupid questions.

Maybe it's just because I've answered racial demographic questions too many times here on city-data. The first few times this question was asked, I thought it was interesting. But it doesn't seem to matter how many times you answer it, you just get asked it over and over again. It's like having a kid saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

So maybe that's it. Is it fair to blame the census because I've answered the same question too often on an internet forum? Maybe not, but that may be the real truth of it. I've answered racial demographic questions on this forum so many times that I've started wondering: Why waste time answering the census or posting demographic information on city-data when people apparently ignore it (or don't believe it). You get asked something too many times, and you get to a point where you just won't answer it anymore. Anyway, enough for today's rant. I have to hit the road--see you guys Thursday if I don't get a chance to check in tomorrow.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-08-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I wonder how that count households of more than one race? - my house has 2 different races in it
That's one of the major flaws of the American census bureau. They aren't recording things properly and way behind the times. Arabics are counted as white, and latino is a vague category that goes any which way.

I don't think the fact that the U.S. government has a Census Bureau is much of a problem, but it's more of a problem their weak categories.

We should be emulating Canada's census to record our own numbers properly.

Actually the main purpose of the Census is to record our population numbers, and the racial breakdown seems to be a distant distant afterthought.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
They count individuals.

I had 3 roommates at the time of the census so technically I was (and still am) live in a household with more than one race. I was counted as black and the rest counted as white. I think Arlington was at 4% identifying as more than one race.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's one of the major flaws of the American census bureau. They aren't recording things properly and way behind the times. Arabics are counted as white, and latino is a vague category that goes any which way.

I don't think the fact that the U.S. government has a Census Bureau is much of a problem, but it's more of a problem their weak categories.

We should be emulating Canada's census to record our own numbers properly.

Actually the main purpose of the Census is to record our population numbers, and the racial breakdown seems to be a distant distant afterthought.
What does Canada do that is so different I wonder?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
What does Canada do that is so different I wonder?
I believe it's just much more detailed. I believe a short form of 8 questions and a long form of nearly 60 questions. They also seem to really be into their demographics. If I wanted to see how many Lebanese were in Canada, I could quickly find it. Whereas in the U.S., I don't think our census would record it, they'd be 'white', as would be British or any European or Arabic person. Canada would record a person as 'British' or 'French' or 'Lebanese' or 'Haitian' or whatsoever else, and as a recent emigrant, second generation, etc.

Since I'm not in the U.S., I didn't see the U.S. census. But I heard it had been reduced to 4 questions? Is that true? Plus the identity thing, I believe it's quite simplified. I do think there is a mixed box, a white box (which includes european immigrants, arabic, and long-term white americans all as one), a black box (also includes immigrants and long-termers), a latino box (which is a vague category), an asian box, and a native american box. Sorry, just going with them as I think them, I don't have the exact census in front of me here.

I believe the Canada one just breaks down the ethnicites much more efficiently on every level.

That being said, I believe private companies and demographic marketing companies in the U.S. fill in our gaps with more specific detail.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-08-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I'd give you rep points if I could, but I don't know how or if I'm even able.
Katy, there are two ways to do it. In the lower left corner of a post you like, you can click "rate this post positively." Or, if you want to write a brief message along with your positive rep., you can click the icon in the middle of the icons in the upper right corner of the post you like. It's the icon that looks like a little scale of justice.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Katy, there are two ways to do it. In the lower left corner of a post you like, you can click "rate this post positively." Or, if you want to write a brief message along with your positive rep., you can click the icon in the middle of the icons in the upper right corner of the post you like. It's the icon that looks like a little scale of justice.
I'm embarassed to tell you how long it took for me to figure this out. Is there a site that tells you all the options, e.g., how to post photos, use more than one quote in your post, etc. ?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I'm embarassed to tell you how long it took for me to figure this out. Is there a site that tells you all the options, e.g., how to post photos, use more than one quote in your post, etc. ?
Yes. Here is the city-data FAQ. http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/ You can also ask questions not addressed in the FAQ here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia