U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times

Advertisements

Rensselaer's alumni group is really active here (at least, compared to other cities I've lived in). In LA they mostly just had a beach party, but here they have all sorts of events, some social (river cruises, bar get togethers, etc.), some lectures, and some business networking events.

Note: I went to a lot of the events 4-5 years ago, but haven't been to anything recently so it's possible the crowd attending these has changed. Back when I was going to them, the social events seemed to attract a good number of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times
BTW, if anyone knows of an alumni group touring the White House that allows non members to piggyback, let me know. Believe it or not I've never done the White House tour because you need to be part of a large group and the ones I belong to never seem to want to do this tour.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM

738 posts, read 2,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I suppose. It's funny because I know a TON of VA Tech people and a few WVU people and the Tech folks are rabid about getting digs in about WVU. It's weird. Almost like a strange insecurity. And they are so superior and all that I don't understand why they need to do it? Just an odd thing I noticed.
It's a rivalry, plain and simple, going back to VT's big east football days. It's also a two-way rivalry, as both schools hate each other.

It was a very good back-n-forth rivalry with both teams doing well over the past couple decades against each other. It was always a rabid rivalry from both times during the time that I was on campus, and it definitely wasn't a one-sided thing; both schools hate a hatred towards each other. I honestly miss playing WVU each year, but the athletic directors agreed to cancel the series for the time being because it became too violent at the games against each other.

Besides, it's not like UVA has been anything close to a rivalry for several years in football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
BTW, if anyone knows of an alumni group touring the White House that allows non members to piggyback, let me know. Believe it or not I've never done the White House tour because you need to be part of a large group and the ones I belong to never seem to want to do this tour.
You're a year too late! VT's NOVA alumni group just went to one this past spring!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,096,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
It's a rivalry, plain and simple, going back to VT's big east football days. It's also a two-way rivalry, as both schools hate each other.

It was a very good back-n-forth rivalry with both teams doing well over the past couple decades against each other. It was always a rabid rivalry from both times during the time that I was on campus, and it definitely wasn't a one-sided thing; both schools hate a hatred towards each other. I honestly miss playing WVU each year, but the athletic directors agreed to cancel the series for the time being because it became too violent at the games against each other.

Besides, it's not like UVA has been anything close to a rivalry for several years in football!

Thanks for the history. I was aware that they used to play each other. Currently, I talk to both WVU and VT alumni and I there's always some real negative comments coming from the VT side. Then of course the WVU person has to have some retort. I just never hear (in my circle) the comments *start* from the WVU crowd. It's like they don't even think of the old rivalry anymore.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,561,600 times
College football isn't about the game, it's just an avenue to express your pride in a fun way. It's about pride and community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia