U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,813,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnova View Post
If I clustered with MY people. And talked about it here I would be called a racist. Or is it okay only if you are newly arrived.
Yes, you probably will be called racist. That's because unfortunately, history is not on your side as far as this matter is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM

529 posts, read 539,374 times
Check the following apartment in Tysons:

eaves Tysons Corner (Avalon group)
Address: 1723 Gosnell Rd,
Vienna, VA 22182
Phone571) 318-5780

This one has lot of Indians, kids from this apartment goes to Westbriar elementary school which is a very good school.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM

76 posts, read 143,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Yes, you probably will be called racist. That's because unfortunately, history is not on your side as far as this matter is concerned.
Great answer. I never thought of that.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 AM

504 posts, read 1,022,692 times
Understanding and remembering history is good, living in history is unfortunate (for those who choose to do so).

I am an immigrant who came here in my late teen, barely spoke any English. Today most people would mistake me as a US-born American due to my English fluency and and lack of accent. Why/How? Because my family settled down in a midwest small town USA with hardly any of my people around.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Understanding and remembering history is good, living in history is unfortunate (for those who choose to do so).

I am an immigrant who came here in my late teen, barely spoke any English. Today most people would mistake me as a US-born American due to my English fluency and and lack of accent. Why/How? Because my family settled down in a midwest small town USA with hardly any of my people around.

Right, and to clarify my point earlier. I am not justifying anything based on history, and how it has shaped these perceptions and attitudes over the past few decades.

I am simply stating that it is what it is, history is exactly why white folks will be perceived as racist if they inquire about white-majority areas/neighborhoods, while people of other background will simply be perceived as attempting to seek areas where they can find cultural similarities.

And cultural similarities is exactly why people of Indian, South Asian or other ethnic backgrounds ask these questions... because an area with a large population of Indians will likely have more Indian restaurants, grocery stores, cricket clubs, places of worship etc.

Personally, I have no issues if white folks ask about white-majority areas here.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There's a fairly high concentration of Indian families in apartments in the McLean/Tysons area, as this map shows: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...msch-hindi.pdf

The only area in Fairfax County with a higher concentration would appear to be the Floris area of Herndon, further west out towards Loudoun County.

True, except Tysons/McLean may or may not work for the poster, from a rental budget perspective.

Herndon will be kind of a hike but yeah, lots of Indians there, even more so than Fairfax

Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM

574 posts, read 607,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnova View Post
If I clustered with MY people. And talked about it here I would be called a racist. Or is it okay only if you are newly arrived.
I've seen this same claim posted on city data more times than I can count. I honestly don't understand why some people find this issue so difficult to comprehend. It is never difficult to find places where there are people like you when you are in the majority. Doesn't matter if we're talking about race, religion, language, or sexual orientation. Chances are, if you are in the majority for almost any particular group, then you are already clustered with "YOUR" people (unless you specifically choose not to be) based on sheer numbers and statistics. You don't have to go actively looking for it. Yet almost every time a minority (usually a racial/ethnic minority or gay person) asks where they can find a community where there are people like them, basically where they won't stick out like a sore thumb or be targeted for being different, then someone inevitably has to start with the "If I asked that, I'd be called a racist," or "What if I asked where's the best place to live as a straight person?" It's as if people who make those comments haven't even bothered to look around to see that they are already surrounded by people who are very much like them. It would be ridiculous to ask "where are the white people" or "where are the straight people" or "where are the English speaking people" in pretty much any state in the US. The answer is, with the exception of very few select enclaves in certain areas, you can basically take out a map and take your pick of almost any location and you will find yourself surrounded by people who are similar to you.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 AM

76 posts, read 143,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I've seen this same claim posted on city data more times than I can count. I honestly don't understand why some people find this issue so difficult to comprehend. It is never difficult to find places where there are people like you when you are in the majority. Doesn't matter if we're talking about race, religion, language, or sexual orientation. Chances are, if you are in the majority for almost any particular group, then you are already clustered with "YOUR" people (unless you specifically choose not to be) based on sheer numbers and statistics. You don't have to go actively looking for it. Yet almost every time a minority (usually a racial/ethnic minority or gay person) asks where they can find a community where there are people like them, basically where they won't stick out like a sore thumb or be targeted for being different, then someone inevitably has to start with the "If I asked that, I'd be called a racist," or "What if I asked where's the best place to live as a straight person?" It's as if people who make those comments haven't even bothered to look around to see that they are already surrounded by people who are very much like them. It would be ridiculous to ask "where are the white people" or "where are the straight people" or "where are the English speaking people" in pretty much any state in the US. The answer is, with the exception of very few select enclaves in certain areas, you can basically take out a map and take your pick of almost any location and you will find yourself surrounded by people who are similar to you.
Majority, what? Look around. Let it go its 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia