Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehayen View Post
Im going crazy, im moving from miami to virginia, a place which i know absolutly NOTHING about except for what ive read on here. I dont have a job so it makes it hard to look for a place my family and i can commute to. Im guessing that Herndon is our best option for right now considering our economic problem...my question is: how are jobs over there? Im a bartender but in miami the party never stops, will i struggle to find a gig? Im just concen because we still dont have a place and there are 3 small kids to feed...thanx
While you may find a number of chain restaurants in Herndon, there aren't many bars beyond perhaps the smallish historic district.

The party mostly stops outside of DC, Arlington and Old Town Alexandria. You'll find your share of watering holes but you'll more likely find restaurants with a bar and some sports bars here and there.

Herndon is basically a suburban town that has some tech companies and is also convenient to the job engine known as Tysons Corner. It will be cheaper compared to Arlington but perhaps not as much as Sterling or Ashburn.

I would strongly suggest finding some contacts up here before moving here. While I suppose it would have been relatively easy for bartenders to find jobs in better times, I'm not sure it's nearly as easy now.

If anyone here has any direct/indirect knowledge about bartending around here, please enlighten us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehayen View Post
Im going crazy, im moving from miami to virginia, a place which i know absolutly NOTHING about except for what ive read on here. I dont have a job so it makes it hard to look for a place my family and i can commute to. Im guessing that Herndon is our best option for right now considering our economic problem...my question is: how are jobs over there? Im a bartender but in miami the party never stops, will i struggle to find a gig? Im just concen because we still dont have a place and there are 3 small kids to feed...thanx
Dear Lehayen--Are you the primary wage earner for your family? If you are, please reconsider moving here without a job. IMO, it's a very bad idea. It's not smart to just arrive in Virginia and look for a job. There are jobs here but if you don't already have a network of friends here it may take you a long time to find one.

Yes, Northern Virginia has a relatively healthy job market right now. But most of those jobs are in the high tech industry. Jobs such as bartending jobs are often filled by networking. It's not done by answering an ad in the paper--you find out about jobs by asking your friends. Also, this isn't a party town. Bartending jobs are not as plentiful here as they are in FL.

If you're free to move to other towns, I'd suggest Austin. I hear they have a lot of jobs there, too, and it's much more of a party town. That's the sort of place you can arrive in town and find a job just by answering ads in the paper.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While you may find a number of chain restaurants in Herndon, there aren't many bars beyond perhaps the smallish historic district.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe bars are illegal in Fairfax County. You can have them if they're part of a restaurant, but that's all.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe bars are illegal in Fairfax County. You can have them if they're part of a restaurant, but that's all.
Wow, I didn't realize that. Then again, I don't usually go to bars. I have noticed that some local restaurants have a "pub" sort of feel to them. I guess that's how work around the law. Thanks for that!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any establishments in Northern Virginia that are exclusively bars.

Interesting, since you can buy a beer just about anywhere in the area.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Bars in Herndon:

Breakers (http://www.breakersskylounge.com/breakers/index.html - broken link)
Ned Devine's/Ned Kelly's (http://www.neddevines.com/employ.php - broken link)
Jimmy's
So Addictive
The Breeze
Carpool

Plus there are a lot of hotels in the Dulles area, most of which have bars. The airport itself has bars. There are also plenty of places in the surrounding area (Reston, Sterling, and Ashburn) which have bars.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Bars in Herndon:

Breakers (http://www.breakersskylounge.com/breakers/index.html - broken link)
Ned Devine's/Ned Kelly's (http://www.neddevines.com/employ.php - broken link)
Jimmy's
So Addictive
The Breeze
Carpool

Plus there are a lot of hotels in the Dulles area, most of which have bars. The airport itself has bars. There are also plenty of places in the surrounding area (Reston, Sterling, and Ashburn) which have bars.
Don't most of those bars sell food? I wonder if technically they're restaurants. That would be one way to get around a law. (BTW, I'm not sure that's a law. I don't recall having heard of it, although you're right that you don't see a lot of bars in Fairfax County.)

Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Don't most of those bars sell food? I wonder if technically they're restaurants. That would be one way to get around a law. (BTW, I'm not sure that's a law. I don't recall having heard of it, although you're right that you don't see a lot of bars in Fairfax County.)
Not familiar with So Addictive, but the rest definitely serve food.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sure, but that's the point... just because we don't have "bars" doesn't mean that there aren't bartending jobs to be had. In my link to Ned Devine's/Ned Kelly's, I linked directly to their employment page.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
There is a new bar opening up in Woodland Pond next to Harris Teeter in Herndon.. Next time I go by there I will grab the name.. They had a sign up for hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia