Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM

84 posts, read 377,020 times

Advertisements

I moved to Rockville MD a year ago, and it is a terrible place for a single professional woman to live. I saw in an article that Alexandria VA ranked among the top ten cities in US for single women, and wondered if anyone like to share their experience and opinion about the area. I wouldn't mind moving across the river to live in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
What makes an area good for a single professional in your mind?

Where is your job located? If your commute is good from Rockville, I question how good it will be from Alexandria...

That said, I love Alexandria and enjoyed it thoroughly as a young professional (albeit married).

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Hello, I'm a guy. However, I do live in Alexandria...and the answer to your question is: it depends.

Most social activity is geared towards the Old Town section. It's popular with singles and couples who are 30+. There are a number of bars on or near King Street but I can't necessary verify how easy it is to meet eligible singles since I'm not in that mode. It's a bit laid-back compared to "Orange Line" Arlington where NOVA 20somethings tend to socialize. A stroll through Old Town (and maybe even Del Ray) would make for a nice romantic date. You may even enjoy doing a bit of upscalish shopping there.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is meet people that aren't coupled up, no matter their gender, then there are scores of Meetup.com groups that, well, meet up in town. Chances are that there is at least one that will fit your interests.

Worst case scenario, Alexandria is a convenient, often more affordable jumping-off point for Arlington and DC. As CaliTerp07 suggested, living here (or this side of the river at all) isn't necessarily worth it if your job is still in Rockville. You may be better off investigating Bethesda.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
A lot of single professional and government employed women live in the condos and apartments at the Southern end of Old Town off of Washington St. It's a nice safe area with good bus service and is walkable to some good stores and eateries (Faccia Luna, Williams Sonoma, Balduccis, Perk Up, Chicken Out, and more). It's also close to the Mount Vernon trail for biking and jogging. I'd definitely recommend it to a single woman.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinarySoul View Post
I moved to Rockville MD a year ago, and it is a terrible place for a single professional woman to live. I saw in an article that Alexandria VA ranked among the top ten cities in US for single women, and wondered if anyone like to share their experience and opinion about the area. I wouldn't mind moving across the river to live in VA.
What made/makes Rockville terrible?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,526 times
I don't think Rockville is a bad area for a single professional woman. There are some nice restaurants, not sure how walkable it is--there are pockets more walkable than others. If you're looking for more of a scene, then Bethesda may be your best bet, especially if you need to work in Rockville. Bethesda is a cool part of town with many restaurants and bars. IMO living in Alexandria may not be practical from a commuting standpoint. I think Bethesda is just as cool, minus the waterfront like Old Town Alexandria has.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times
I lived in Old Town and absolutely loved it, but I was married, so I guess that doesn't count. It's definitely a place where you can go out and walk around and enjoy yourself, alone or with a friend, but I'm not sure how good it is for meeting men. Most of the single people I've known who wanted more of a social/romantic life have moved to Arlington. Still, just for general enjoyment, Old Town is great.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
OP, I notice that you've previously posted that you used to live in Arlington, and it was too noisy and crowded for you. At that time you were seeking a safe, peaceful, and quiet area.

Has your experience living in Rockville, which I assume is sleepier than Arlington, changed your perspective or preferences? Because Alexandria is every bit as noisy and crowded as Arlington is, at least in the places where there is opportunity for meeting singles.

There are quieter parts of Alexandria, especially outside of Old Town, but most people would still consider these areas crowded. Furthermore, the suburban and quieter parts of Alexandria will be mostly filled with married couples. You may be ok with this as long as you can zip into Old Town for the singles scene. On the other hand, Arlington is the same with its noisy, crowded trendy areas, and quieter leafy suburbs - so unless your distaste for Arlington has softened, I don't think Alexandria will be more agreeable.

Alexandria has plenty to do for people on a date. And whereas Arlington is the happening spot in NOVA for 20-something's, Alexandria does have a more mature feel (but still gets a lot of younger people visiting Old Town - maybe not living there, though). You might meet people while taking an art class at the Torpedo Factory, a sailing class, a volleyball game in Founders Park, a free concert at the Lyceum, hanging out at a parade or other outdoor event, and I'm sure there are plenty more social activities where singles could meet, not only at the bars and restaurants. My only caveat is your earlier experience in Arlington and whether that has implications for how you'd like Alexandria.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
...On the other hand, Arlington is the same with its noisy, crowded trendy areas, and quieter leafy suburbs - so unless your distaste for Arlington has softened, I don't think Alexandria will be more agreeable.

Alexandria has plenty to do for people on a date. And whereas Arlington is the happening spot in NOVA for 20-something's, Alexandria does have a more mature feel (but still gets a lot of younger people visiting Old Town - maybe not living there, though). You might meet people while taking an art class at the Torpedo Factory, a sailing class, a volleyball game in Founders Park, a free concert at the Lyceum, hanging out at a parade or other outdoor event, and I'm sure there are plenty more social activities where singles could meet, not only at the bars and restaurants. My only caveat is your earlier experience in Arlington and whether that has implications for how you'd like Alexandria.
I agree, but would just emphasize, while there are several parts of Arlington with a lot of 20-somethings, (a) there are also a lot of people in other age groups in those same neighborhoods (e.g., Clarendon and Lyon Village--which has some of the most expensive real estate around), and (b) there are many more areas where 20-somethings are a smaller minority. Check out most of zip codes 22205 and 22207, the south and west sides of 22202, Lyon Park, Ashton Heights and similar neighborhoods in 22201, etc. Shirlington and Fairlington in So. Arlington also tend to have 30-somethings and up.

Again, if the OP can explain what she's looking for, we could respond better. If she has kids, is she looking for an area where she wouldn't be the only single parent? Is she looking for an area where she would find lots of social friends in her age/professional group, or to avoid seeming to be the only single person w/o kids in a neighborhood with couples in their 30s or 50s and their kids? Is there a budget range she has in mind? Is safety an issue? Is she looking for a SFH or does she want a condo or townhouse? Rent or buy?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM

139 posts, read 170,176 times
I'm a young/single professional woman currently residing around the old town, Alexandria area. This area is pricey, but definitely safe. The best part about this location is the myriad of shops and restaurants and proximity to DC. One can be in Arlington in less than 8 minutes, and DC in less than 15 minutes; therefore, you can enjoy all of the social activities and eateries in Alexandria, Arlington and DC.

FYI: There's definitely a plethora of single/professional guys in the area, but there's also plenty of young families. Overall, I think it's a pretty nice location for meeting interesting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia