Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good dog training classes in the area? I need a "real" dog trainer - not those silly PetSmart type classes.

Romeo is almost 2 and he is a huge Cane Corso so I need a trainer that has experience in 100 pound powerful dogs.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
You ever see that pet nanny show on HGTV

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM

I do watch the "pet nanny" show called "Its Me or The Dog" - which I am sure my husband would love to say those exact words.

I just need real help in person -

Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
Years ago I sent a dog to the Olde Towne (Old Town?) School for Dogs in Alexandria. It was a fortune, but really worth it.But then more recently I had asked some people in my dog rescue for a recommendation or behaviorist (also my vet) and they were stumped. Everyone is controversial in some way. Techniques really differ and there are very different "camps" about how to train dogs. But if you like your vet, ask him/her.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 AM

I went to a dog trainer class through Pender Vet and the woman was great. Romeo passed that class but he needs a more advanced class and he has a barking problem - barks at everything.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Romeo passed that class but he needs a more advanced class and he has a barking problem - barks at everything.
Please let us know if you figure out how to get rid of that problem. We have a large dog that barks a lot (not all the time but when people walk by our window, not fun for little kids), we tried the spray collar which was completely useless. Not sure if I want to even consider an electric collar, there has to be a better way. Oh, the dog won't bark if I stand next to it and tell "no".

Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Please let us know if you figure out how to get rid of that problem. We have a large dog that barks a lot (not all the time but when people walk by our window, not fun for little kids), we tried the spray collar which was completely useless. Not sure if I want to even consider an electric collar, there has to be a better way. Oh, the dog won't bark if I stand next to it and tell "no".
This is going to sound so mean. But when our Golden Retriever was very young, she would stand outside our sliding glass door and just bark, bark, bark to be let in. She was fine (and so was the weather) she just wanted in.

One day, I had just let her outside when she started in on her barking. I took two pot lids, stood right by the door (but just out of her sight). When she barked, I banged the lids. Bark, BANG! Bark, BANG! She didn't like the noise at all. When she was quiet, I let her in. After a few days she stopped barking and we haven't had the trouble since.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is going to sound so mean. But when our Golden Retriever was very young, she would stand outside our sliding glass door and just bark, bark, bark to be let in. She was fine (and so was the weather) she just wanted in.

One day, I had just let her outside when she started in on her barking. I took two pot lids, stood right by the door (but just out of her sight). When she barked, I banged the lids. Bark, BANG! Bark, BANG! She didn't like the noise at all. When she was quiet, I let her in. After a few days she stopped barking and we haven't had the trouble since.
Not mean at all, sounds a heck of a lot better than an electric shock to the neck. Gotta try that one, thanks for the idea! Ours does the same, wants to go out then stands behind the glass door and barks to be let in. Quite annoying for everyone.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM

I am going to try the pots and pans method. Those spray collars do not work - and I do have an electric collar that I used on my other dog for another problem - even at the highest setting - she did not even feel it - she is another muscular 100 pounder but she is now older and is well-behaved.
We have the same thing - the dog stands at the glass sliding door and wants to come in even though it is nice outside - he gets a lot of attention but sometimes I like to have him outside -
He also barks at every passer by like he owns the neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Hope the pan lids work! If not, you could also try shaking coins in a glass jar (my dog hates that) or even a whistle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia