U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,917,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well since you would be transitioning out of NSPS it really doesn't matter but, NSPS works like private industry. You get a review every year and based on how you and your supervisor feel you performed, you get a score (1-5). That score equates to "shares". The shares have a value assigned to them and that is based on what the pot of money is in your particular code. Each code has a different pot of money and different share values. Your raise is based on that. You no longer get steps. I loved NSPS (minus all the stinking paperwork and drills) and I did much better on NSPS than on the GS scale. I work my but off and I'm lucky enough to have a fair/objective manager who rewards on performance (there are horror stories of favoritism but I haven't seen it in my code). As we transition back to GS, we will be placed at a step within the GS-13 band based on what we are making today.
Interesting. Glad you made out OK with it. (The predictability and simplicity of the GS schedule make it more appealing to me--but I'll do anything to avoid mindless paperwork.) This particular agency is transitioning to another system called Acq Demo before they go to GS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 AM

105 posts, read 350,019 times
Can you share what GS equivalent the job was offered at? The NSPS to GS transition has been a mess, wouldn't be surprised if the position is reclassified (or slated to be) at a lower GS level.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,601,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks. They do know; I applied for the DoD job while still in my last job. But I'll remind them (although doing so would sort of suggest I'm buying into their premise that my current salary is relevant to what they should pay me. But then, it sounds from what Christine is saying that there's no dissuading them of that idea.)
Believe me--just because you stated your previous salary in the application, they are not thinking about it now, months later when they have made you an offer. You are not the first person who has been forced to accept another position while waiting for a response from a federal government application. The reason I think it's worth mentioning is because I once had an applicant who had excellent qualifications and seem to be a good fit for our team. Between the time he was interviewed and the time he was made an offer, he quit his well-paid job at a top accounting firm to become self-employed. Obviously it entailed a big pay cut, but he did it for work-life balance after his child was born. Even though he had made that choice, we wrote a justification about his qualifications and proposed starting salary based on his previous salary. I think it's worth a shot.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

10,587 posts, read 12,050,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Interesting. Glad you made out OK with it. (The predictability and simplicity of the GS schedule make it more appealing to me--but I'll do anything to avoid mindless paperwork.) This particular agency is transitioning to another system called Acq Demo before they go to GS.
I bet I know where you're going! I didn't realize they would go to GS after Acq Demo. Acq Demo is great and can be a bit more rewarding than GS.

One other thing I meant to point out on my earlier posts:

When the hiring agency was looking to hire/pay at the upper end of the band, what that really *probably* meant was that they were interested in attracting someone into that job that met the criteria for what a GS-13 Step 10-12 might have done. I've had the experience of looking at some of these hiring sheets and being part of three hires. One thing we look at is what the level the private industry person was working out in their job. There are general 3 levels: 1: performs the tasks 2: performs the tasks with no supervision and often comes up with their own creative solutions 3: All of #1, #2, and then must demonstrate "team lead" positions, must have interfaced as a "lead" person with other governmental/private organizations. Direct supervisory experience is not a requirement of the upper GS-13 (or upper Band 2) level; however, at that pay rate, they want to see demonstrated "team lead" and project lead experience. If you didn't have that it may be one reason why they may not want to go the extra mile to prepare a justification.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Even though he had made that choice, we wrote a justification about his qualifications and proposed starting salary based on his previous salary. I think it's worth a shot.
Definitely. It can be done.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
Can you share what GS equivalent the job was offered at? The NSPS to GS transition has been a mess, wouldn't be surprised if the position is reclassified (or slated to be) at a lower GS level.

If the position was a GS-13 before NSPS, it remains at a GS-13 after transitioning out. Even if the person in the position makes more than a GS-13. The YA-02 payband, if you hit the top, is slightly above what a GS-13 Step 10 makes.

Now the real "downer" is, was the position a GS-12 prior to NSPS? Is the person hold that job being paid at the top of the YA-02 band? If so, they will be a very high GS-13 sitting in a GS-12 job. No raises there. Fortunately, they don't cut your pay but you will go into "save pay" until you "catch down" rather than "catch up" to the position. Stinks. Many years ago, when our agency was in Acq Demo, if your job was a GS-12 and your pay put you at a GS-13, you came out of Acq Demo and back into the GS scale as a 13. Essentially Acq Demo reclassified peoples grades. NSPS took that little benefit out.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,917,850 times
Thanks, Christine! I didn't specify which pay band, so your deduction may or may not be correct. ;-) (Trying to be vague here, lest someone from that agency read this and take issue.)

No idea what the position was pre-NSPS, whenever that was.

MLV311--that's good advice. I've since reminded them of my old salary.

Fingers crossed; thanks again, folks!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 AM

121 posts, read 216,800 times
9 years ago I was in a similar situation. I worked for a defense contractor when a Govt job became available in the very same office I worked in. I applied and was offered the job. The job was a GS 9 target 11. Since they already knew how much I made, they offered me the job at GS 9 Step 1. I accepted and a year lager I became a GS 11 step 1.

I am currently a GS ** step 5, working in Alabama, where I commute from the Atlanta area. I have been offered a Management Directed Reassignment,(MDR) to the Washington DC area this summer. Since I am offered a MDR, I cannot receive a promotion along with the MDR. The Job has a higher promotion potential. I asked my HR will I remain in the same step when I accept the job in DC, this means a $5,000 increas in salary based on locality pay alone.

When I start the new job in DC, I will bust my rear end to make the full promotion potential in 1 year.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTaris View Post
When I start the new job in DC, I will bust my rear end to make the full promotion potential in 1 year.

Best of luck to you. In this political climate with the Federal workforce being a scapegoat, I would be very wary because of possible "frozen" promotions that are being bantered about.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 AM

121 posts, read 216,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Best of luck to you. In this political climate with the Federal workforce being a scapegoat, I would be very wary because of possible "frozen" promotions that are being bantered about.
I agree. The good news is everyone else in my duty position are at the full promotion level, I "hope" I can join them in a year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or