Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 4,778 times

Advertisements

I am a single divorced woman and an artist looking to get out of the NH winters. Originally from NYC and looking to relocate between MD and SC coastal area that has a vibrant arts scene and a city feel.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,561,655 times
City feel will be the hardest part of that equation. The southern coast tends to be more suburban than urban. I'd check the area from Wilmington NC down to Hilton Head/Charleston SC and see if any of those communities have a large artist community

Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 889,217 times
Savannah is home to SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savann...Art_and_Design

Savannah is chock a block with art/historical preservation, etc. It is a masterpiece of urban planning a few centuries ago...

IMHO, it is more accepting than Charleston (of yankees and other outsiders), it has a slight edge to it, so I prefer it to Charleston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah,_Georgia

I am proud to refer you to this lovely city.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:35 PM

Thank you all so far for your replies. Here are some of the places I have checked out or am considering.

Been to Charleston several times. Actually I was just there earlier this month (when all the flooding happened) to meet with the realtor. I was supposed to drive down to Bluffton after Charleston but the roads were closed.(from what I hear, Blufffton is adorable)
After experiencing the flood in Charleston, I started thinking maybe I should consider area's that are more inland like Columbia, SC, since they have a good art scene. Then "pow", they get hit with all this flooding.I don't know when things are going to be Ok down there(Columbia) so I have had to shelf that.

Your right, Charleston proper( the peninsular) IS very expensive. At my price range ($300K) I could only get a "fixer upper", same for Avondale, Windermere, West Ashley.
I want to try to get to Bluffton soon. It is close to Savannah, and Hilton Head which I'm thinking is a good selling market for art and may also have the things I may not have in Bluffton. ( I don't want to live in Hilton Head,as I think its more of a resort than a town..tell me if I am wrong)

In general, I do not want a new home in a development.(Been there, done that) I would prefer to
have a older smaller home in town that it sound, has some updates like roof, windows, AC, and would not mind redoing a kitchen.
The other area's I have recently added to the list is Chattanooga TN, New Bern NC, Greenville Sc, Raleigh NC, Richmond Va.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,124,372 times
You might check out the east coast of Florida. You could buy a home near a beach in your price range. Finding a city feel would be harder. New Smynra Beach is supposed to have an artsy air.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,280,699 times
Richmond, VA near VCU may be promising. Have you considered Ashville, NC? Very artistic and hippie.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,517,629 times
Wilmington, NC!

Art scene? Wilmington has the largest sound stages outside of Hollywood in the country. There is a great art scene there!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Default Wilmington?

I actually did go down to Wilmington last March. I did like it but I found it to be not very active at this time of year. I don't know if it was because the weather was cool, but I got the feelings that it is not a very vibrant year round population. Also they get hit with a lot of hurricanes. Opinions welcomed.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,250,838 times
I'm from Richmond. As an artist you'd love it here. It's not NYC by any means. We have a smaller city feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia