U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,085,020 times

Advertisements

I second (er...fifth?) the aggressive driving altercations, if any. But this can happen anywhere as far as I've experienced. There is a lot of road rage since everyone is rushing places. If I get angry, I seethe silently in my car, lol!

That's bizarre about the guy in the Accord and the story about the Florida plates. People are ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,130,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneshavelonglegs View Post
Hi all:

I am new to the forums --- just decided to register as I came across the webpage.

Quick and honest question: How many of you here have been involved in some sort of physical or verbal altercation with a complete stranger -- be it in traffic or at some other point in your daily lives? It seems as if it is a common occurrence in this area.

Why are so many people in NoVa a bunch of Billy Badasses? Many people seem to have some big mouths on them...yet I've never seen anyone deliver.
In 25 years, ZERO confrontations.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,051,567 times
Physical altercations?? That would be assault... oh yes that happens to me daily!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,408,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneshavelonglegs View Post
Hi all:

I am new to the forums --- just decided to register as I came across the webpage.

Quick and honest question: How many of you here have been involved in some sort of physical or verbal altercation with a complete stranger -- be it in traffic or at some other point in your daily lives? It seems as if it is a common occurrence in this area.

Why are so many people in NoVa a bunch of Billy Badasses? Many people seem to have some big mouths on them...yet I've never seen anyone deliver.
I've had a couple.. hmm.. obviously imbalanced people yell at me in my three years here (I'm a small bespectacled female who looks younger than her age.. heh.. so NoVA obviously isn't the only place this has ever happened to me), but I opted not to participate in actual verbal confrontations with any of them.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 PM

60 posts, read 103,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Other than some random chick punching a friend of mine in the face at a bar in Clarendon, I have never seen physical violence out and about in this area. Aggressive driving, yes - but not violence.
Same, you usually won't see any actual physical fights unless it's at a bar/club or teenagers.

Not likely with older people, they just like to road rage. I've had some teenager in a BMW cut me off without signaling one time while on his phone (also had his girlfriend in the car).

Needless to say, I was in a bad mood and didn't take kindly to it. I ended up going around him and cutting him off immediately after and traffic came to a stop. He got pissed and stuck his head out the window to chew me out (probably to show off in front of his girlfriend or something). I opened up my door and stuck a leg out and looked at him and he quickly pulled his head back into his car and rolled up the window.

Of course, that was way back and in hindsight I should've just let it go or honked when he did it.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 AM

509 posts, read 855,122 times
I've been here almost 30 years now and never had any physical or verbal altercations. I've seen plenty of aggressive driving though, but I really think you'd see that anywhere. The worst was through a construction zone on I-95 many years ago - the speed limit was 35 mph and I was doing that or maybe 40 mph and some idiot behind me kept flashing his lights at me and tailgating me. There was traffic not far ahead of us so it wasn't like going faster would have helped except to catch up to it and then slow back down to 35 or 40 mph. When we cleared the construction zone he sped up in the left lane, purposely quickly got over into the right without signaling just in front of me and slammed on his brakes. Fortunately I could kind of figure out that's what he was up to so I didn't rear end him, which i guess was what he was trying to do. Then of course the idiot sped off at about 80 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,263,219 times
I wasn't involved personally but I did see this in really heavy traffic one night. We went into a construction zone and pretty much all lanes on the outerloop was at a stop. The only lane moving was a left side offramp. Well this car was in the offramp, but was trying to get back on the normal lanes. Of course the normal lanes were at a complete stand still so this car was preventing a bunch of cars from getting off the outerloop. Finally the driver of the car behind the car blocking the offramp got out and berated the occupants. It was pretty hilarious. He called them selfish female dogs among other choice adjectives. At first the driver of the blocking car wouldn't even look at the other driver yelling at them. He banged on the glass a few times and was like, "I know you can hear me!!"

I'm three cars over the right and behind and I couldn't help laughing. One of the funniest things I've ever seen in person. It didn't look too out of control so I didn't step in. If I was the guy trapped behind them I would have probably done something similar.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,558,964 times
I've lived all over the place and don't think this area is any different than anywhere else I lived. I've never had anyone threaten me (although like others I've seen some aggressive driving). No one here has every yelled at me or been personally aggressive. The worst that happened is someone was behind me blaring a horn when I was trying to make a right on red (but there were too many cars coming, too fast). Normally I would have been able to turn into a merge lane to merge into the traffic, but it was under construction and there was no merge (the person blaring their horn couldn't see that... hehe, I wonder what he though of when he got up there an saw WHY I wasn't turning.)

Of course, in my whole life no matter where I lived I've only ever been yelled at twice in about 25 years of driving. Once by a bicyclist who rear-ended me at a stop-sign (didn't expect me to stop for some reason) and one by another driver who, in all fairness, I did kind of cut off (but I had an ambulance behind me with lights on and no one would let me merge over).

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Truth is there are a-holes everywhere... not just Nova.. I have seen a lot of rude people here tho.. but then again I have seen rude people everywhere I have lived. I just ignore then and kill them with kindness!
Exactly. Almost every single city data forum has a post or two from someone complaining about rudeness. Rude people can be found anywhere, from Alabama to Wyoming.

To answer the question, I've never had a physical encounter (unless you count someone beeping a horn in traffic ). For one thing, a lot of people have top level security clearances here. Why throw that all away just to be in a brawl?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
For one thing, a lot of people have top level security clearances here. Why throw that all away just to be in a brawl?
And another thing is that VA is a shall issue state for Concealed Handgun Permits. You never know if that other car your starting something with will let fly some lead

Trucker charged with attempted murder in I-95 road-rage case - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia