U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,794,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
. . .A while later, after we were asleep, I heard some hollering in the hallway and other noise. I couldn't believe it. I threw on some jeans and then went out there to find these drunken clowns sort of wandering around yelling, with one of them beating on the elevator door. I asked what the hell they were doing. One very drunk guy slowly came toward me with his arms up and grabbed my shoulders, almost like sumo wrestling. I shook him off, but then he came at me again, so I punched him in the mouth. . .

The lesson here is not to confront stupid drunks. I should've just called the cops.
Whew Carlington, that was bold . . . they must've really pissed you off.

I had an episode with a drunk fool also (no punches in the mouth though). I was at a conference at the Crystal City Marriott (I think that was the hotel; the one with the revolving bar on the top of the roof). Everyone was partying and having a good time and I eventually resigned myself back the room. Within 30 minutes, my roommate came back and some guy had followed her, drunk as a skunk, and was wandering back and forth in the hallway in front of our room and yelling. I looked through the peephole but didn't confront him and was about to call the front desk to tell them to pick up the drunk fool in front of our room. One of his buddies came though and whisked him away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I looked through the peephole but didn't confront him and was about to call the front desk to tell them to pick up the drunk fool in front of our room. One of his buddies came though and whisked him away.
See, you did the smart thing! I just, uh, had no idea that a youngish, semi-muscular shirtless man chastising them would be perceived by these drunk punks as a physical challenge.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,715 times
Moved to Virginia from Maryland in 1987. I still frequent Maryland and there is definitely a difference in demeanor. I think Virginians feel a sense of entitlement that the law is on their side. Being able to conceal a weapon helps promote that thought. In Maryland, you mouth off and there may not be anyone to help (no police) leaving you to deal with the consequences of your actions. In either case, prevention is best. I did get into a fight 2 times since I have lived in Virginia. Once to help a bouncer, years ago. And once to defend an oncoming attack on a bike trail. Both could have been avoided but I chose to act. I have no record, work in a professional field. Although I have a concealed weapon permit, I do not carry a gun regularly as I do not feel threatened in my day to day travels.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,365,355 times
I'm 6'6 and 260 lbs nobody tends to get in my face or even mouth off. I do call out people I think are being rude or inconsiderate to myself or others. My pet peeve is people who cut in line. If your in line at a store and another line opens up give those in front of you the chance to go first it is not first come first served. I can't stand that me first attitude.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 AM

6,576 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I'm 6'6 and 260 lbs nobody tends to get in my face or even mouth off. I do call out people I think are being rude or inconsiderate to myself or others. My pet peeve is people who cut in line. If your in line at a store and another line opens up give those in front of you the chance to go first it is not first come first served. I can't stand that me first attitude.

We might be related. I'm even your size. What I put in bold bugs the crap out of me as well. I usually say something to the employee or manager when this happens. Some stores are good about looking and grabbing the person whose turn is next when they open another line. Others just open a line and let people do what they want.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

61 posts, read 100,185 times
I think assault is probably more rare to find since I think most folks are aware that physical altercations can have real consequences (fines, lawsuits, jail, etc.).

Everyone has different aggression thresholds. Some are provoked by even the tiniest of infractions. I think that explains why some report having had encounters and some haven't. Those that haven't probably aren't annoyed as much ("bark less, wag more"), or are resigned to accept that's the way of life.

Since this area has way too many people living in too small of an area, this mere fact means we have an increased likelihood of unpleasant people, who in turn exhibit unpleasant behaviors.

A lot of people aren't happy with their lives, and they take this out sub-or-consciously on others. This unhappiness manifests itself in all kinds of behaviors--commonly as passive-aggressiveness, like those reported by others here. This type of behavior, unlike assault, doesn't have perceived consequences since people find they can legally get away with it. But look out when two PA types confront each other! Lots of misery for both, and generally any bystanders who get caught up in it.

There's a lot of stress too, not to mention the high cost of living, traffic aggravation, etc..*Also, human nature is selfish (Me first, I'm entitled, I deserve, etc.) by default.

Mix all this together and you have a recipe for disaster, the results which we all experience here every day.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times
I've had several incidents. I had one where this huge guy commented as I drove through the parking lot that I was driving way too fast and could kill his family. That's how slow I was going and I waited and waited for his family to move across the parking lot lane....and then someone had to go back to the vehicle so I very slowly just drove up the lane....that's when he made the comment. I'm just a girl in a little corolla....I backed it up and said 'excuse me sir? Did you say something to me?'. He asked me what the 'eff' I was talking about and I so I asked him if he said I was driving too fast and that's when he went off.... Well, I don't back down easily....so we got into it - he was yelling at me right up at the window area (window was down) in my car and I just let him go on and on and on....and then asked him how he'd feel if someone was yelling at his daughter or his wife like he was yelling at me....then his wife started screaming.... Eventually I just drove away and parked .

I've had other incidents....

One thing I'd like to note..... If you are at a stoplight and are not the first one in line....don't give me the finger if I honk....I'm not honking at you - I'm trying to get the guy's attention at the front who isn't going because he's not paying attention to the fact that the light is green....I give everyone the 5 second rule before I honk .

My rule now is not to engage folks. If they get mad at me or have an issue....I am allowed either one honk, one look, one comment, or whatever....and then I need to move on. I don't want to get into it with anyone anymore.....

Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,277,079 times
Never had one though I've been in many situations that seemed almost sure to turn into one. I think a lot of people around here talk big and puff up their chest but are really full of crap because in reality they don't want to jeopardize their security clearance or something.

One response that seems to diffuse the situation is to get out your phone and tell the nutcase that you're recording them, (even tho my phone can't take video) and that you will just sue them into the ground if they try anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times
Oh, I forgot one good story. A guy in front of me was on his cell phone....and I was behind him on Rt. 28. Every single time we came to a red light, I'd have to do a quick honk to get him to realize that the light was now green. This happened 3 times and finally - when the fourth time came....I just kept on the horn.... We came to the next red light and he was making all these gestures...so I became an idiot and a crazed out one at that....I pulled into the left hand turn lane next to him with my horn still going and pulled my engine right up near his driver's side window (which was rolled down)....he finally got off the phone !

A lot of people hide behind their vehicles and if you actually go to confront them...they will back down. Many people do have security clearances and it would be ridiculous to jeopardize that for something stupid - such as the incident I stated above.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM

6,576 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Oh, I forgot one good story. A guy in front of me was on his cell phone....and I was behind him on Rt. 28. Every single time we came to a red light, I'd have to do a quick honk to get him to realize that the light was now green. This happened 3 times and finally - when the fourth time came....I just kept on the horn.... We came to the next red light and he was making all these gestures...so I became an idiot and a crazed out one at that....I pulled into the left hand turn lane next to him with my horn still going and pulled my engine right up near his driver's side window (which was rolled down)....he finally got off the phone !

A lot of people hide behind their vehicles and if you actually go to confront them...they will back down. Many people do have security clearances and it would be ridiculous to jeopardize that for something stupid - such as the incident I stated above.

Wow. You might want to talk to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia