U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,390,923 times

Advertisements

Curious here, has anyone bought from Mervis before? Very close and would love to know what kind of discounts you all have negotiated on your rings to get an idea of what a good deal is. I know there are many variables but if most people are getting 5% and I've got 15%, I'll feel pretty good. It seems there really isnt as much markup there as there is at other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,065,413 times
You can do what I did. I researched and ordered by diamond online at BlueNile.com and took it to a local jeweler to have it set in a Scott Kay platinum setting. I spent less than $6000. The ring appraised for $13,500 by the same jewelry store for insurance purposes.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM

I have thought about that and looked through Blue Nile extensively, and its a good suggestion, but call me old fashioned I would like to do it in person (even with BN's great return policy).

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I have thought about that and looked through Blue Nile extensively, and its a good suggestion, but call me old fashioned I would like to do it in person (even with BN's great return policy).
A stone is a stone since they all come from the same original source. I relied on the certification that came with it. That is why I took to an independent appraiser once it arrived. The ONLY way to properly grade a stone is UNMOUNTED. I selected a 1.24ct diamond that was the best quality for the size I wanted. I did not make the mistake of buying a cheaper flawed diamond that was bigger. I searched over two months until I found what I wanted. I already knew the setting my wife wanted, so it was easy to pair the two together.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM

Good advice, thanks. I have searched BN extensively, left out some info for the sake of being concise, but it will prob help. I have viewed over 50 stones unmounted and feel I am getting a BN-comparable deal. One thing I have realized is that sometimes stones with good certs arent necessarily as pleasing to the eye, hence the reference to BN's awesome return policy. Certs are important but whats most important is your reaction to the stone viewing it in person. I just dont want to get into buying a stone, having it show up, not being thrilled, then sending it back, etc when price-wise Im not too far off from BN as is.

Settled on Mervis, just want to gauge discounts with other folks as my friends who have bought from Mervis didnt get ANY discount.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM

628 posts, read 1,727,593 times
I'm curious: How many women out there believe receiving a diamond ring is a necessary ritual and tradition for getting engaged, and how many prefer that the thousands of dollars that apparently some spend go toward functional possessions in their marriage? Admittedly, I followed tradition, but I honestly believe most of us have fallen prey to slick marketing over the decades of the jewelry industry.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I'm curious: How many women out there believe receiving a diamond ring is a necessary ritual and tradition for getting engaged, and how many prefer that the thousands of dollars that apparently some spend go toward functional possessions in their marriage? Admittedly, I followed tradition, but I honestly believe most of us have fallen prey to slick marketing over the decades of the jewelry industry.
An egagement ring is an ASSET that can be sold if necessary.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM

989 posts, read 2,475,102 times
My now-husband got my ring at Mervis over 14 years ago. He picked the diamond (he told them the size and c's he was looking for and they brought out a box full of them), then picked the mount. I get compliments regularly on my ring. My diamond is .78 carats but people think it's much larger (I guess due to the quality). I love my Mervis ring!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
My now-husband got my ring at Mervis over 14 years ago. He picked the diamond (he told them the size and c's he was looking for and they brought out a box full of them), then picked the mount. I get compliments regularly on my ring. My diamond is .78 carats but people think it's much larger (I guess due to the quality). I love my Mervis ring!
Yep, my ring came from Mervis back in 1999 and it's just under 1 carat. The salesman told my husband that, with a set budget, he should get the better color and clarity and go down a little on size - since the price jumped at the 1 carat mark. I have had to have the band rewelded twice - at Mervis the emphasis is on the stone, not the setting - but they've always fixed it for free. Always great service from Mervis.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I absolutely believe wearing a wedding ring is a necessity for both partners. I also believe getting a ring that looks like an engagement ring is important, but maybe not a necessity. It doesn't have to be a diamond, and it doesn't have to be expensive. The purpose of the ring is to be something that quietly says "not available, so don't hit on me." Without the ring you'd have to say it out loud and embarrass the other person. A diamond is easier to see than just a ring, so I think it's important.

Granted, there are plenty of jerks out there who don't care about such things, but IMO it makes life so much easier for singles who DO care. Those are the good guys, so I like making it easier for them.

Ps. as a side note, I once encountered a guy in Arkansas who was drunk and wanted to get friendly, if you know what I mean. I showed him my ring but it didn't stop him. We got into a little struggle and I got out of there by making a fist, smacking with my ring, and then running like hell. So it can also be handy as a mini weapon (to be used only in a dire emergency, of course!)

Last edited by Caladium; 02-14-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia