Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I have worked in Fairfax, but not Montgomery county. Fairfax teachers often complain about how much better everything is in Montgomery County. I think in terms of pay it might require a little more research - Fairfax will usually give you credit for as many teaching years as possible and put you as high on the salary scale as they can (at least that's been my experience and that of the other teachers I know who came in from other places). Some of us were actually surprised at how high they placed us, so it's possible Ffx could beat out Montgomery in the pay area if Montgomery puts you at a lower level than Ffx. On the other hand, Fairfax requires a significant contribution for retirement benefits, which some other counties (like Prince William - not sure about Montgomery) don't. So what I'm saying is, the posted salary scale may not be completely reflected in your eventual paycheck. I would decide based on other factors.

Fairfax has no teacher's union. I think Montgomery does. That alone for me would be a big plus. I worked in Fairfax and really didn't like it much.
The maximum entry step in Fairfax County is step 16 with 15 years experience, so there is a limit to the credit they will give. Also, Fairfax County has the Fairfax Education Association (local for NEA) and Fairfax County Federation of Teachers (local for AFT, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO). VA is a Right to Work state, but it is not accurate to say that they don't have unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Are they hiring teachers now in Fairfax? thats news to me. I suppose they cut enough the last couple of years, and openings are happening. I dunno.

If you have job offers in both jurisdictions, I would seriously try to talk to TEACHERS about the quality of work life in both. We as parents found FCPS to be on the bureaucratic side, but I'm not sure Montgomery is any better.

There are definitely middle class folks in Montgomery - Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Olney, etc, etc. Heck, my DD dated a middle class kid from Gaithersburg for a year!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Are they hiring teachers now in Fairfax? thats news to me. I suppose they cut enough the last couple of years, and openings are happening. I dunno.
With the staff turnover rate and increases in student numbers, the County always has to hire.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You'll probably need to go through some red tape to get a teaching credential here. I'm not sure you can just go from one state to the other. You may need to take some courses first. I believe the teacher's unions have worked to set it up that way to limit the labor pool.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The maximum entry step in Fairfax County is step 16 with 15 years experience, so there is a limit to the credit they will give. Also, Fairfax County has the Fairfax Education Association (local for NEA) and Fairfax County Federation of Teachers (local for AFT, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO). VA is a Right to Work state, but it is not accurate to say that they don't have unions.
Actually those organizations do not act as unions in Fairfax. They cannot engage in collective bargaining and do not have any official power in the school system. They do things like write letters and stage protests, but they really can't do much of anything that teachers can't do for themselves (except collect dues).

As for the steps, a number of types of teaching experience in addition to full-time teaching in a k-12 school can be used to determine the step level.

Until recently, I did work as a teacher in Ffx schools.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You'll probably need to go through some red tape to get a teaching credential here. I'm not sure you can just go from one state to the other. You may need to take some courses first. I believe the teacher's unions have worked to set it up that way to limit the labor pool.
Virginia doesn't have unions!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Actually those organizations do not act as unions in Fairfax. They cannot engage in collective bargaining and do not have any official power in the school system. They do things like write letters and stage protests, but they really can't do much of anything that teachers can't do for themselves (except collect dues).

As for the steps, a number of types of teaching experience in addition to full-time teaching in a k-12 school can be used to determine the step level.

Until recently, I did work as a teacher in Ffx schools.
You are right that they do not engage in collective bargaining. That is why I pointed out that VA is a Right to Work state. FEA is an association, FCFT is a union affiliated with the AFT and AFL-CIO. To say they don't exist is false.

Yes, there are a number of types of experience that can be used to determine the step level, but there is a maximum that they will allow and that maximum is step 16.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Think of George Costanza's parents and that's who should move to Montgomery County.
LOL. And pretty accurate!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Quote:
Virginia doesn't have unions!
Loudoun has the Loudoun Education Association. I'm not sure if it's a formal union but it touts itself as an "effective organization". I believe they are currently encouraging their members to "work to the rule".

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Loudoun has the Loudoun Education Association. I'm not sure if it's a formal union but it touts itself as an "effective organization". I believe they are currently encouraging their members to "work to the rule".
Work to the rule was a total joke in my school. Once a year the association would encourage everyone to teach administrators a lesson by working to the rule (meaning leave on time) for one day. Teachers used to work extra hours the day before to prepare to be able to leave on time the next day, or take tons of work home with them and do it there instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia