U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times

Advertisements

I'd sure cross Gaithersburg off the list. The commute would be brutal and, while some Montgomery County Schools are excellent, some in the Gaithersburg area are very mixed. If you're including Potomac, the schools are certainly better but the housing prices go up dramatically. Stay in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,776,153 times
I'd cross Gaithersburg/Potomac off the list too as that commute would be brutal. Unless there are plans to assign you to Bethesda or nearby.

Some parts of Vienna/Oakton border Falls Church, Arlington, etc. so it just depends on what area you're looking at.

Have you looked at neighborhoods in Arlington and Falls Church?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM

13 posts, read 13,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Have you looked at neighborhoods in Arlington and Falls Church?

I have looked EVERYWHERE, and based on all the factors that are important to us have narrowed the list down.
I really like north Arlington but it is expensive and get very little house for the money.

I dont care much about what other people think about where I live as long as I am happy with my home and surrounding areas. We like suburban with easy access to stores etc.

We will do some driving around this coming weekend in W-Springfield and Oakton and see how we like the neighborhoods, roads, shops etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM

519 posts, read 698,504 times
West Springfield is a great place to live. The schools are very good, the people are friendly and the neighborhoods are more established yet well-kept. As far as commuting options, it can't be beat. We live in the Cardinal Forest neighborhood and there are 3 express buses to the Pentagon within a few blocks of our house, one bus to the F/S metro station, and we're less than a mile from the VRE. The buses to the Pentagon are used not just by people who work in the Pentagon, but are also heavily used by people who work in DC (they catch the metro from the Pentagon). It's by far the quickest way to get to the Pentagon area.

We moved here when my husband retired from the military in 2004 and have not regretted our location for an instant!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
West Springfield is okay for a generic commute, although if you'll be assigned to various points in the DC Metro area you might want to try South Arlington (see if you can accept the schools) or Falls Church.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,719 times
I know NoVA quite well and live in W. Springfield, and your conclusion about that area having the best commute for you is the right one. I must say, too, that I agree with the Kingstowne option suggested by others. Single family homes are probably more numerous in WS than in Kingstowne. Regarding cost, much of W. Springfield has older communities than more outer suburbs, and that may influence what you perceive as lower prices. My daughter and husband are home shopping presently in this area, so I am familiar with current prices in and near WS, including my own community. A move-in ready nice older 3-4 BR home with 2-2 1/2 baths in well-maintained neighborhoods will easily be $425-600k. New construction more luxurious homes, such as near S. Run Rec Center and the Parkway and opposite Laurel Golf Course along Hooes Rd will be 50% higher.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

26 posts, read 50,477 times
Have you thought about Alexandria, south of Old Town? The George Washington Pkwy is often a decent commute to the Pentagon.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,089,679 times
Another great area of Springfield to consider is the area in the 22153 zip code.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM

515 posts, read 1,506,115 times
I'm voting for West Springfield, for a number of reasons. The most important of which is that I used to live in Gaithersburg. It's been going downhill for awhile. I decided to move the day I walked into the supermarket and found it had hired armed guards.

I have liked it much better here in NOVA. Lower taxes is a big plus.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 PM

13 posts, read 13,584 times
Thanks for all the input.

After a few weeks of extensive driving & house-shopping, and this past weekend of only focusing on housing/communities in W-Springfield-surrounding areas and Oakton, we are down to this:
-Found a couple of houses in Oakton that we absolutely loved. They are more towards the north and west, so further away from DC and transport options
-Found one house in Burke (Signal Hill) and one in Springflied (Lakewood Hills) that we could settle in with some modifications needed in the near future but by no means as nice as the Oakton houses

It really is a dilemma. Do we go cheaper with better transport options into less house that needs TLC and upgrades or go for more house with more painful commute?????????

How long would it take to Vienna metro (including parking and walking to platform) from corner of Vale & Fox Mill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or