Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM

95 posts, read 139,574 times

Advertisements

My first post on this board after lingering for a few years. This board is a great resource for information.

My wife and I are looking for a new home in Bristow/Gainseville area. We decided on a great house in Lanier farms. Besides the fact that the area looks beautiful, what can you tell me about this particular neighborhood? HOA is $55 a month, but I presume thats just for trash pickup and snow removal. Thats fine by me - I dont require 2-3 community pools like they have in the Haymarket subdivisions. Looks like my sons will be going to Victory elementary School which doesnt get alot of praise on GreatSchools dot com.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,166,367 times
I can't speak much for this particular neighborhood as I've never lived there. But I do know the area extremely well. That area is a quiet one with some nice homes. One thing you might need to worry about though is the Jiffy Lube Live Concert Pavillion. (Still have a hard time calling it that) We've received complaints from over in that area about people hearing the music from the concerts. You might want to talk with a couple neighbors who have lived there for a year. You also need to consider the traffic problems you could see if you are out during a big concert. The Wellington Rd can get very congested with people going to the concerts as well as away.
That said. This is a nice area overall.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks. Regarding the noise level, I think that all of Bristow would be affected by that not just lanier farms. Not a big isue for me. As far as congestion, I plan on taking Devlin road to Rt234 and then get on 66 which is a good path as far as I can see.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,915,176 times
We live in Victory Lakes which is the neighborhood right next door...some houses in your neighborhood back right up to VL

About the music from Jiffy Lube--it's not really that noticeable, and actually, I like it! I Love taking a walk around the neighborhood on a summer night and hearing one of my favorite Aerosmith songs! If I go home and close the windows/doors, I can't hear it.

We've never had an issue with traffic before/during/after concerts either. We just don't really go on that part of Wellington that often. About the only thing we might be heading towards in that direction might be the shops/restaurants at Gateway. We havent' noticed any signifcant increase of traffic along Linton Hall Rd. to get there on concert days/nights.

Most of my neighbors are very happy with Victory elementary, but I *think* Lanier farms is actually one of the neighborhoods slated to go to the new elementary on Linton Hall road...I'd have to look that up to be sure...but if the thought of your child going to a brand new elementary is a huge plus or minus for you, you might want to check into that. *ETA* Just looked it up, and it looks like I was wrong and Lanier Farms will stay at Victory.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM

204 posts, read 664,193 times
I've lived in Bristow for 11 years (Braemar). I wouldn't worry about noise from Jiffy Lube Live, but I would worry about the high school that neighborhood is slated to go to - Stonewall Jackson in Manassas. That's not good news! Patriot High School off Vint Hill Rd is opening this fall, but Lanier Farms and Victory Lakes are slated to go over to Manassas. Before you buy, look into Stonewall Jackson, go by the school and take a look. Even if your kids are a long way off from high school, either they will be there eventually or if you sell, potential homebuyers may go there.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks everyone. However, is there anybody here that can tell me anything "specific" about Lanier farms? I am surprised with so many people on this board nobody is from this subdivision. Is it just me, or is this subdivision in a great location?

Mark

Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Still need more feedback for this subdivision. This is a HUGE step for me and I dont want to make a bad decision. Please help.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,915,176 times
Well...not to sound too negative, but one thing I really appreciate about my neighborhood, is that I can walk/run easily...what I mean is, we have easy access to the sidealks along Sudley Manor Dr, so if I want to take a long run, I can safely use that road, and then along Linton Hall, the various walking paths within our neigborhood/Broad Run Trail, etc. Also, if I want to walk to Safeway grocery store to pick up a couple things, I can (and often do, in the spring, fall, summer--not this time of year, though!).

Lanier Farms, the main road outside is Devlin, which personally I would not feel safe walking down, as there are no sidewalks. If you or someone in your family likes to walk/run as a hobby/fitness activity, that might be a negative.

They ARE building a new shopping center very close by, off of Devlin. Bristow Commons ~ live. work. play.
You've probably noticed the Montessori school already there, and from what I understand there are plans for a Walgreens to open (I think they said 2012?) Maybe the plans for that shopping center include the eventual building of more sidewalks along Devlin?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM

HerinVA,

Thanks for your feedback. However, I really dont see not having a sidewalk to run on as a negative. I was expecting that anyways. I was hoping to find out if they have a community area or a something along those lines. I like the fact that its tucked away next to the woods.

-M

-Mark

Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,247,486 times
I lived in Bristow since 2003. First in Sheffield Manor which is next door to Lanier Farms and we moved recently to Braemar.

The one thing that always struck me about the neighborhood is anytime I drove into the neighborhood I didn't see a soul. No one on the tennis courts, no kids playing outside. That weird house that literally sits on Devlin (guess a hold out that the developer didn't get that parcel) and another older house that sits on a cul de sac looking completely out of character to the rest of the neighborhood. THere is only one way in/out - maybe a plus to some, but I don't like that. I do think the school will cause traffic issues and I would surprised if they opened a Walgreens considering there are two Walgreens within a couple of miles. If you want quiet, it certainly appears to be VERY quiet but it's always struck me as a bit souless. I also think the prices for new build are completely out of whack to resale properties.

I also would not buy b/c of being slated to SJHS. Although you may not worry about HS now, it will affect your resale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia