Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times

Advertisements

Good lord, I've lived in Woodbridge for 15 years, haven't had ONE crime happen to me except that someone wrote on my daughter's car window with soap and never even FELT skeeved out. Of course, I rarely venture into the Marumsco area which is really dragged out looking. Both my husband and I make over 6 figures each, could probably move into many other places, but we have no complaints. What can I say? My good friend lives up in Fairfax near GMU and has had more problems then you'd think. Not saying Fairfax is worse; however, I think Woodbridge had changed a lot since, maybe the 80s when it was in transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Good lord, I've lived in Woodbridge for 15 years, haven't had ONE crime happen to me except that someone wrote on my daughter's car window with soap and never even FELT skeeved out. Of course, I rarely venture into the Marumsco area which is really dragged out looking. Both my husband and I make over 6 figures each, could probably move into many other places, but we have no complaints. What can I say? My good friend lives up in Fairfax near GMU and has had more problems then you'd think. Not saying Fairfax is worse; however, I think Woodbridge had changed a lot since, maybe the 80s when it was in transition.
I haven't looked at PWC crime stats in a while but you could be right. Back in the late 70's and early 80's the west end (Manassas-Yorkshire) saw an unbelievable PCP scourge that no one else but PG CO was experiencing. Woodbridge did not see the same problem. Later when Crack hit PWC the worse was in Woodbridge while Manassas saw less of a problem. The east end (Woodbridge, Dale City, LR and Dumfries/Triangle) has always had more crime but of course the population is greater here VS the west end. To give an example of how crime differs from west/east if the west end has 20 PWC officers on the street at a particular time the east end will have 30 plus at the same time. Before I retired from PWCPD I saw the east end, Woodbridge included, slowly changing with some nice neighborhoods going up such as Belmont and many others. This can only help Woodbridge over all.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM

14 posts, read 46,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Sorry, I don't buy this. First, if PWC is loud and congested, where did the poster move that is closer to Arlington, less crowded, less congested, and quieter? Sure, there are individual neighborhoods throughout Woodbridge, Fairfax, Arlington, etc. that are quiet and sparsely populated, but crowded and loud is the norm for NoVA.

Second, as HokieFan noted, there's no way a commute to Arlington takes 4-5 hours roundtrip unless there's exceptional weather (snowmageddon) or a severe accident. Can the commute stink on particular days? Of course. 4-5 hours? Only if you are driving like Miss Daisy.

Woodbridge doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea. But there's no need to make up stories, and I am very skeptical of a first-time poster's input on any area.
I don't live in DC Metro area anymore. I move out of VA but still can get to DC within 3 hours. I now live in a very quiet neighborhood and less crowded. You are right, though, that there are nice and quiet neighborhoods around DC Metro area.

For the commute, that was the truth and I didn't make up. That was when I lived there[2005-2008] but my husband was born & raised in Woodbridge. We lived toward Dumfries area so it took him longer. I didn't know if my husband drove slow or what. But that was his commute time and I couldn't twist the fact.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
I live on glendale in dale city its a pretty good nehiborhood ive lived her for about 12 years, the area i live in is decent but other part are a bit sketchy. My nehibors recently rented their house to a few sketchy people. Their house has been raidee by the dea twice, other than that its fine. But i wouldnt recomend raising kids here the schhols are great, its the other students. There is a bit of a drug problem in the middle schools and highbschool. And they arnt generly nice people. But definetly sit on the curb near dawn and see if you feel safe. But some schools are good if you are willing to drive all elementary schools are good bentons a good middle school and gar-fields a great high school hope i helped

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 AM

Wow.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
I agree. Double wow. This coming from someone who lives in Woodbridge too!

I can't tell if that post from above yours was honesty or sarcasm.

Of the many areas in Woodbridge, Glendale is probably at the bottom ranked. True, there are drug problems in many middle and high schools (check out Langley, for instance, in Fairfax--many problems there). But Gar-Field being a good high school? Nope. Can't be. That said, there are kids that go through the IB program with a good education and unscathed but not one of the students that I knew who did that will tell you that attending Gar-Field was a pleasant experience.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM

I don't think it was sarcasm and I really hope they didn't graduate from a PWC school.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
I don't understand what people expect out of these places. Does anybody read the newspaper anymore or do the research? How can someone complain about living near Rippon Landing and the crime that happen there? The 22191 zip code has the most crime out of the 3 zip codes in Woodbridge so is it a coincidence that PrettyPass saw crime? When you live in certain areas you have to stay on top of the trends, know the good and the bad. Woodbridge is a huge area. To say that Woodbridge as a whole is bad, is kind of misleading. There are so many other parts with drastically different environments. Here's a hint, if you notice that the places around you are selling for half the price of areas that are across town, then maybe you shouldn't be surprised that your living is that different. I hate to say it but property value is usually a solid indicator of what's good and not good.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
The irony of this thread is that the OP moved to woodbridge many years ago and was pleased about her decision. This thread was started years ago and the OP has long moved on from soliciting advice about where to live.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Also remember that the 22191 ZIP is the largest ZIP of Woodbridge. It stretches from the bridge at route 1 to FFX all the way down to Georgetown village. It does encompass some bad parts, but also some pretty new homes in nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia