Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times

Advertisements

I grew up in woodbridge and raised my kids for 13 years in Dale city. I didnt feel good about my kids walking up to seven eleven. It was not the same place i lived for 24 years. Lakeridge is not that great any more, it was the ritzy part when i went to HS. Montclair is also getting bad. I guessif you have 750K for a house then you may get somewhere nice, but still have to deal with tons of illegals. Look at the 7-11 at corner of rte 1 and longview. Probably 100 people loitering in parking lot. go to marumsco plaza, i wouldnt shop there any more, people just loitering everywhere.

When we sold the only people to look at my house were hispanic and wouldnt even attend closing, they had to have their closing agents and we faxed paperwork back and forth.

every time i go back to visist friends, i realize why i left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Dont trust any realtor - they dont care about you - they are in it for the money like anyone else.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM

50 posts, read 186,457 times
Live in Lake Ridge......Woodbridge is sort of well....run down, crime ridden and the schools (FRED LYNN) just to name one are really not up to par....

Lake Ridge is a sub-set..>West Ridge and then on PW PKWY towards Manassas are pretty nicely done, I never had any issues living there and the homes are nice.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
You're right...all we care about is getting paid, moving on to the next client and then trying to screw them over harder than the last client we had. Talk about a successful business model!!!
Usually i would feel bad about saying some broad statement like that. But i've sold/bought 3 houses in the past six years and the realtors tried to stick the "arm" type loans down my throat and tried to get me to buy houses WAY out of my price range. Luckily I did my research and avoided the mess that is happening right now. Part of the blame has to do with realtors in this mess. It literally ruined some peoples lives. Pardon me for not liking most real estate agents. Yes, some are actually good. However i see them now the same way i see most lawyers. Just shady and out for a buck. Don't even get me started on the "this is a nice area" stuff some realtors tried on me. Again, luckily I was a police officer in the same areas these realtor were trying to get me to buy. Needless to say i didn't appreciate it.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittmom View Post
Live in Lake Ridge......Woodbridge is sort of well....run down, crime ridden and the schools (FRED LYNN) just to name one are really not up to par....

Lake Ridge is a sub-set..>West Ridge and then on PW PKWY towards Manassas are pretty nicely done, I never had any issues living there and the homes are nice.
I agree 100%.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
I grew up in woodbridge and raised my kids for 13 years in Dale city. I didnt feel good about my kids walking up to seven eleven. It was not the same place i lived for 24 years. Lakeridge is not that great any more, it was the ritzy part when i went to HS. Montclair is also getting bad. I guessif you have 750K for a house then you may get somewhere nice, but still have to deal with tons of illegals. Look at the 7-11 at corner of rte 1 and longview. Probably 100 people loitering in parking lot. go to marumsco plaza, i wouldnt shop there any more, people just loitering everywhere.

When we sold the only people to look at my house were hispanic and wouldnt even attend closing, they had to have their closing agents and we faxed paperwork back and forth.

every time i go back to visist friends, i realize why i left.
Last time i said that same TRUE statement, i was called a "racist" on this board. So be ready...

Very good and true post though.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 AM

8 posts, read 18,633 times
Default Can't think of a worse place than So FLA

In terms of crime statistics as well as anecdotal information it doesn't get much worse than South Florida, you can see the great disparity there from the haves and have nots in terms of great gated communities and the need to keep the outside out to feel safe. You don't have that in Woodbridge and there are some nice part of Prince William-(Bristow is nice), some of the schools are horrible and part of Manassas aren't safe. Culturally I think you need to visit and get a feeling for the area and how safe you feel, but 100% better than Fl. I have lived in both and you couldn't sell me FLA regardless of the weather for anything.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicaldog View Post
In terms of crime statistics as well as anecdotal information it doesn't get much worse than South Florida, you can see the great disparity there from the haves and have nots in terms of great gated communities and the need to keep the outside out to feel safe. You don't have that in Woodbridge and there are some nice part of Prince William-(Bristow is nice), some of the schools are horrible and part of Manassas aren't safe. Culturally I think you need to visit and get a feeling for the area and how safe you feel, but 100% better than Fl. I have lived in both and you couldn't sell me FLA regardless of the weather for anything.
I agree, my in-laws lived in south Fl. and it was REALLY bad. Even the nice areas are pretty bad. Having said that, you can indeed see a large disparity in Woodbridge, Dumfries and Manassas. No place has the true "ghettos" like south Florida does, but it can get pretty bad. Crime stats don't always tell the whole story.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
"Last time i said that same TRUE statement, i was called a "racist" on this board. So be ready..."

I am not afraid of people calling me racist. We are seeing some of the same issues in the Raleigh area now and I speak up loudly.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 31,100 times
Woodbridge is IMO not the ideal place to live. It is somewhat of a ghetto.

Only reason you would want to live there is temporary or cheap housing.

I've been to the stores, met the people, been around the block. It is not pretty I assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia